Author Topic: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?  (Read 50108 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?
« Reply #270 on: November 23, 2020, 11:13:17 AM »
Is this the Astrozeneca one?  I think it can also be kept in a regular refrigerator unlike the others that require much colder storage.

Yes. It's also incredibly cheap to make and I think the plan is to distribute it globally at cost - but don't quote me on that.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #271 on: November 23, 2020, 03:27:03 PM »
Wow, haven't had a dan siting in a long time. Probably the last time I fired up IRC (many moons ago). Hope you're doing well. I don't think you were married (or a father) the last time we chatted so, congrats!
--dweez

Offline dandrummerman

• Homo Erectus
  • Black Sheep
« Reply #272 on: November 24, 2020, 08:55:59 PM »
Hi Dan. Glad you didn't die.

Hello hello. I am glad I did not die also.

Dweez it was 3 years ago I jumped in here on a thread about the D and called you a poser for quitting IRC after I did. Sorry.

At that time I was married and wife was about a month preg so maybe I didn't even know we were expecting quite yet.

Quitting IRC was the best thing for me. I was quite unproductive sitting there waiting for people to talk sometimes (always had a job, but my free time was shot). I do miss it, I think we had some fun. Or I did. At the very least I've gained a couple of friends out of it all.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #273 on: November 28, 2020, 09:13:35 AM »
Good to see you.  :)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #274 on: November 28, 2020, 11:25:49 AM »
Hello hello. I am glad I did not die also.

Dweez it was 3 years ago I jumped in here on a thread about the D and called you a poser for quitting IRC after I did. Sorry.

At that time I was married and wife was about a month preg so maybe I didn't even know we were expecting quite yet.

Quitting IRC was the best thing for me. I was quite unproductive sitting there waiting for people to talk sometimes (always had a job, but my free time was shot). I do miss it, I think we had some fun. Or I did. At the very least I've gained a couple of friends out of it all.

IRC was a lot of good fun but you aren't kidding about it sucking up time. Glad your doing well.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #275 on: November 28, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »
Forgive me dan, I editied your post to include christ's disappearing ink as I thought it sounded odd without it.

Offline dandrummerman

• Homo Erectus
  • Black Sheep
« Reply #276 on: December 01, 2020, 04:37:08 AM »
Forgive me dan, I editied your post to include christ's disappearing ink as I thought it sounded odd without it.

I've gotten used to seeing other people post replies that make no sense and figure they are either crazy or christ posted.

Wouldn't have mattered if people questioned if I was crazy.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #277 on: December 01, 2020, 06:19:11 AM »
I've gotten used to seeing other people post replies that make no sense and figure they are either crazy or christ posted.

Wouldn't have mattered if people questioned if I was crazy.

I think you'd be out of place if you were sane.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #278 on: December 03, 2020, 11:16:58 PM »
So 14th December the Covid Vaccine will reach care homes and then as stated in Gov broadcasts.

All looking forward to receive it  :o

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #279 on: December 04, 2020, 03:25:18 AM »
So 14th December the Covid Vaccine will reach care homes and then as stated in Gov broadcasts.

All looking forward to receive it  :o

It was guaranteed to be rolled out in some way next week so that would be earlier. Care homes must be 1st, surely?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2020, 11:36:43 PM »
It was guaranteed to be rolled out in some way next week so that would be earlier. Care homes must be 1st, surely?

was on bbc news ref the date stated.
Wife has been "offered it" but hasnt said when though, Out local race course is being set up with tents etc to administer the vaccine.(very Contagion esk")
I will have to wait a while, but have been offered the FLU jab next Saturday morning :-\
Bit scared as when there is Flu / colds about I do suffer with them

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2020, 07:12:02 AM »
I've never so much as had a flu shot.  I'm damn nervous to take the vaccine, I'm terrified to give it to my daughter.  Hate to sound heartless but I'm going to stay home and watch the results a couple months.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2020, 08:24:00 AM »
I've never so much as had a flu shot....

It's mainly for old folk. Like goldie and myself.

In truth (here at least), they have offered the flu vaccine to over 50s where is is normally for over 65s as they are greater risk of dying from influenza. I've never been inclined to have it but I will this year as I can get it at my leisure. I'd rather get some extra cover and I have to figure that whatever the risks might be by taking a vaccine, dying is worse.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2020, 11:11:32 AM »
I regularly get flu shots as most illnesses I get turn into sinus infections and related coughing fits, so whatever I can do to keep that from happening, I do.  I just got a reminder to get vaccinated against Whooping Cough and Tetanus.  I have had the PPT (pertussis/aka whooping cough, polio and tetanus) but I guess they need boosters every decade or so.  Some of these diseases are pretty awful, so a small jab and sore arm are a whole lot better than the alternative.

Most of these vaccines are well vetted before distribution.  I can understand why people would be worried about taking the corona vaccines.  But mostly, I'd expect the worst that would happen is that they'd be ineffective.  Most of them are two doses and cause mild symptoms that may not be much fun, but given I have one dead friend from this virus and others who were sickened with it, I'd be pretty much jumping at the chance to avoid it.  I feel fortunate to have escaped from it for this long and hope my luck holds out until an effective vaccine is available.  The sooner most people are able to prevent themselves from getting infected or infecting others, the better.  This has been a dreadful year for so many reasons.  We all want it to end.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2020, 11:16:09 PM »
NHS have been told they will start vaccinating next week (week commencing 7/12/20)
They must go in their own time and transport to the race course.
I feel sorry for her / them as no transportation for people who cannot drive as yet will be put on for them and the race course is situated in an area which has never come out of tier 2/3.
Will be given the injection and have to wait for at least 30 mins in case of reaction.

I'm not bothered about the vaccine but long term effects for pregnant and basically young people when they start to get it. Listened to a pod cast ref the Thalidomide cases in the 60's,