Author Topic: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?  (Read 49394 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?
« Reply #360 on: March 19, 2021, 05:53:37 AM »
Might get my first shot today, appointment scheduled, but mice and men...

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #361 on: March 19, 2021, 08:31:25 AM »
Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #362 on: March 19, 2021, 12:48:56 PM »
I noticed there was a marked difference in the way I think now. Things like not being bothered by touching the keypad while entering my pin, or standing next to someone who just coughed. It's like covid is starting to leave my mind.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #363 on: March 20, 2021, 06:30:23 PM »
I got the moderna one. And a pretty bad sunburn. Managed to keep it off my face by wearing a hoodie, but my feet are burnt. Should have worn jeans and sneakers, but it was super hot.

Not sure where I'll be getting the second, I got the first at the petco park location, and they're closing up shop.

The only screening I really had to dealt with was a security guard who wanted to see the Email, and a check in lady who seemed severely burnt out.

She asked which arm I wanted the shot in four times. By the third I thought she was trying to "correct" me, but the nurse let me say left arm. I'd heard it leaves the target arm sore and numb, so I chose the non-mouse hand. :P

Nurse was skilled, I didn't even feel the needle.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #364 on: March 21, 2021, 06:07:21 AM »
How are you feeling?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #365 on: March 21, 2021, 08:10:15 AM »
Left arm was sore yesterday, but honestly the majority of my complaints are the sunburn.

I bought some Kentucky based analgesic. Aspirin never did much for me. I replaced the band-aid, there was a lot more blood than the standard flu jab, but as I said, the nurse who injected the vaccine had skills. I gripped the bottom of the chair in anticipation, she calmed me down and said I didn't have to worry. And I didn't.

The walk to my pickup point was a bit longer than I anticipated, but previously it was just one bus stop. Quite a bit more of a walk.

From what I've read, my online registration has me in a system, and in two weeks, I get another injection. Apparently the Moderna is popular in my area, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

One thing that bothers me is I have Jury duty on the 29th, and that's before my second dose. Here's hoping I'm excused. Unlike my doctor, I don't think "The only day I am available is thursday" will fly.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #366 on: March 22, 2021, 04:57:33 AM »
Glad your first jab was uneventful.  There should be a 28 day interval between Moderna injections.  If you had the jab yesterday, that means almost 4 weeks.  https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/moderna/index.html
Looks like the US will soon approve the AstraZeneca vaccine.

I don't know how that will fit into the jury duty schedule.  How does a jury trial work these days?  Put jurors 6 feet apart and limit witnesses to one at a time?  Sounds pretty strange.  I remember the last jury duty that I had to report for:  small courtroom.  I don't know if it would even fit the needs for distancing these days.

If you say you want to be excused because of vaccination issues, that opens you up in the future.  If you say you want to be excused because of COVID related safety fears, that might be more compelling.  Hard to say what tack to take unless you are chomping at the bit to get onto a jury.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:00:48 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #367 on: March 23, 2021, 12:57:05 PM »
Got Pfizer jab 2 today.  We got one for my husband, too.  So that was a great accomplishment. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #368 on: March 23, 2021, 04:34:38 PM »
Nice.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #369 on: March 23, 2021, 08:54:50 PM »
12 hours later and the sore arm thing is kicking in.  Also, slept through most of an episode of Endeavour, so the fatigue is also a factor, but nothing really bad.  Just took an Advil in hope of warding off most of the pain.  I'm just glad it's done.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #370 on: April 01, 2021, 12:41:02 AM »
good news Wife has only 1 covid ward now to bed coordinate  at her work, slowly but surely.

Think the youth need the vaccine soon looking at all the vids going around  :-[

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #371 on: April 03, 2021, 12:30:46 AM »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #372 on: April 17, 2021, 03:05:38 PM »
Got my second dose today at RIMAC, which is a college Gym for UCSD when it isn't a COVID center.

Far more pleasant experience. Got the same driver IN to the appointment as the first time.

Mom brought a Walker because we were standing around for a long time at the Petco Supersite, and that seemed to be an expedited pass. Felt kind of bad because they had us cut most of the lines, but honestly, can't complain.

The gym is an indoor location, so no sunburn. There was a bit of a bother getting the ride OUT, first they dropped us in the ADA lot (Americans with disabilities act) but then they golf carted us to the designated uber/lyft parking garage.

The ride back driver was really nice. I definitely preferred this location to the SuperSite, but it was much further away from home.

The county covered both rides.

As to my second appointment, it was always scheduled, they just didn't bother to, you know, contact me. At first they were going to turn me away today, but I asked them to look up my cell number instead of going by the "system" and sure as poo, I was scheduled.

I have a gross taste in my mouth, but that might just be my mouth.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #373 on: April 17, 2021, 09:08:09 PM »
I am glad you managed to get that done.  Hope the weird taste is the only side effect.  My husband got Pfizer #2 a few days ago and had worse side effects, kind of like a mild flu:  fever, headache, nausea and sore injection site.  He's fine now, but he kind of laid around for a day feeling like crap.

It's great to have that over with, even if we have to get boosters going forward.  There's a sort of peace of mind that goes with this.  That's worth the price of admission.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #374 on: April 18, 2021, 07:23:24 AM »
They were giving the over 30s (country currently at the over 45s) the vaccine at Manchester Asda on Friday. If I'd thought about it I could have grabbed my second shot while I was there.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.