Author Topic: Freddy Vs. Jason (Not a review)  (Read 3562 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Freddy Vs. Jason (Not a review)
« on: April 21, 2020, 08:47:32 PM »
So, I mentioned my distaste of the elm street series and that I didn't think I'd be writing a review of the individual films, but I did want to get some thoughts down about it.

First, I think the Friday the 13th series does a better job of selling Jason as some nebulous horror, when Freddy is supposed to be that, he is instead just a mean spirited bottom.

Seriously, the concept of Elm street should be scarier than F13. Just avoid Crystal Lake and you're safe from Jason. Freddy? Well everyone needs sleep, and I'm pretty sure everyone has the occasional nightmare. (I had a friend who claimed vehemently that he never remembers dreams and thinks they are stupid)

Hell, one of the few things Final Nightmare did right was having Freddy send a victim out of the town of Springwood to spread his influence, like a virus. This makes him a more potent threat.

In execution... Rosanne shows up with Tom Arnold. That's not a joke. That scene was painful.

They never bother establishing WHY Freddy is bound to Springwood, or why he is able to launch one of his victims through the town limits like a glass mirror breaking, one of the more effective visual effects from the series.

I found the whole dream warriors thing relentlessly cheesy. Freddy's "Birth" was equally poo.

I watched the F13 remake, I don't think I'll bother with the Elm Street one.

I suppose one good thing out of all of this, is that Freddy no longer scares me. In fact, he bores me.

It does leave me wanting more 80's horror movies, the interior designs on some of these houses are truly wacky.