Author Topic: MacBook Air Cooked?  (Read 512 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
MacBook Air Cooked?
« on: January 14, 2024, 11:09:49 AM »
For over a year I depended on EDF for electricity and while it often went out, I never had any problems with power surges until just recently when I attempted to boot up my MacBookAir and it attempted multiple times to turn on but never quite managed.  I'd get little apple and even log on screen for p/w and then shut off.  This is a Caribbean island with frequent power outages.  And, since I was only there for 2 weeks and had never had trouble before it never occurred to me to bring along a surge protector.

The charging area looks almost as if there's brown around the pins, as if there was some kind of small combustion there.  I wonder if cracking the case open, removing and reinstalling the battery would help?  Or is it probably toast?  I know this is probably like calling the mechanic and asking if your engine has melted -- hard to diagnose over the phone and all that, but has anyone any ideas about what I'm likely dealing with?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: MacBook Air Cooked?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 12:47:17 PM »
Praise Jesus!
I reset the SMC and it revived.  I was just about to order a new one.
Time for a nap.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 03:10:59 PM »
Have you tried resetting the SMC?

I'm not sure if you posted this at the same time I posted above but I was beginning to try to figure out if I had little star shaped screwdrivers to crack it open when I tried the reset and it worked.  That's about the first thing that's gone right with that whole trip.  It was not a good experience, overall, but that's another story for another day.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 06:07:05 AM »
Looks like 35 seconds between us hitting "Post"
Thanks, just the same.  I always appreciate your help.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 07:20:52 PM »
Better late than never!

(I had assumed that the Praise was ironic!)

Yes.  It continues to work normally, so that was a huge relief.  And the "Praise Jesus" remark was spontaneous and probably ironic, too.  Must be the hidden gospel singer in me coming out.