Author Topic: Trying to connect a WD19 docking station with a Dell 3880 PC  (Read 2337 times)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
Trying to connect a WD19 docking station with a Dell 3880 PC
« on: September 13, 2022, 04:17:27 PM »
Yo old timers!!  I was chatting with Goldie last night and he thought I might get some help with my current predicament by asking you guys. I also hear Smokes kid is a whiz and shows his Dad up on the reg. Lol!!

I have my work laptop connected to a WD19 Dell docking station using 3 monitors and everything works. Joy is had. Well as much job as one can have at work with monitors that kinda suck. I would like to be able to merge my work/play spaces. How can I flip back and forth with this docking station to the 3880 PC (play) and the laptop (work)?  I have a separate office space for the laptop and when I log off from work I have to move to my preferred space and the 3880 PC with awesome monitors.

The docking station uses a USB-C connector. When I try to connect it to the 3880 PC via female USB-C to HDMI adapter its not seen. The USB-C doesnt power up through the HDMI adapter.

How can I have just one space - with ideal monitors - and use my work laptop and play 3880PC?  Please help an old teammate out.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Trying to connect a WD19 docking station with a Dell 3880 PC
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 03:33:06 AM »
I'm wondering if the dock dislikes the adapter for some reason. Is it possible to test it with a verified working adapter?

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 11:39:46 AM »
I'm wondering if the dock dislikes the adapter for some reason. Is it possible to test it with a verified working adapter?

Hhhhmmmm......  I dont think I have anything else that uses a USB-C adapter head.  Ill have to look.  Excellent suggestion though. Thanks!

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 03:09:48 PM »
It's a pleasure to see you ohcheap.

The boy (now 20) left me standing many years ago and studies maths and computer science at Manchester uni. I'll tell him to log on a read your post but most of his expertise is with code.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline TNG

• Underpaid Consultant
  • Australopithecus
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 03:36:57 PM »
Hi,

Lovely to meet you, however, I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

The HDMI to USB-C adapter is never going to work. They're meant to work the other way, and you can't split HDMI for multiple distinct displays. You can get add-in cards to give your computer a port to plug the dock into, but I've looked at the spec sheet for your desktop, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't support any of those cards. I think your best option is to buy three monitor switches online - they are about £25 each on amazon - and stick them under your desk. You can press each button to swap the display source when you want to switch. It's a bit clunky, and you'll have to hide nine display cables under your desk, but they could also switch your USB devices, like your keyboard and mouse, if you use them like that.

You could check if your monitors support chaining. Some DisplayPort monitors can be hooked up to one another, so you only need one cable going to your PC. Then you could just have the one switcher.