General Category > Chaos

Not really what you think

(1/4) > >>

6pairsofshoes:
In addition to misheard lyrics like "My Body Lies Over the Ocean" that I've mentioned in a separate thread, there's always strange confusions about stuff that I find funny.

A friend of mine once mentioned that she thought the man on the box of Lipton Tea was the postman.  Why?  Who knows?  I had to explain that he was actually a sea captain who sailed to China for the tea.  Of course, now he's disappeared from the box.  Who knows why?

Here he is, for sale on Etsy, because what isn't for sale on Etsy?  https://www.etsy.com/listing/592931889/vintage-lipton-tea-advertising-sewing

dweez:
White suit always made me think of a milk man.

goldshirt*9:

--- Quote from: 6pairsofshoes on July 24, 2023, 10:39:12 AM --- I had to explain that he was actually a sea captain who sailed to China for the tea.  Of course, now he's disappeared from the box.  Who knows why?

--- End quote ---

Possibly because a certain part of society thought it was wrong to have him on it ???

6pairsofshoes:
Yeah.  PC gone mad.

dweez, he kind of does look like the milkman.  Not quite Reid Fleming type milkman, but the milder less drunk kind.

8ullfrog:
I wonder what misconceptions I hold. I help my mom with a lot of them, and it's always interesting to figure out where they came from.

I doubt I'll ever get her to call tortillas tortillas though, she always calls them shells. While that would be accurate for hard shell tacos, she always means the large flour tortillas for burritos, and if I'm not the one buying, she gets hard taco shells and gets mad.

as a kid, I always thought we were related to the Quaker Oats quaker. We're neither Penn's nor quakers, but our family share a lot of those facial features. Turns out he's William Penn, of Pennsylvania.

My Grandpa resembled a thinner version of him, sans hat and wig.

As to etsy, there is some crazy stuff on there, like Frasier 64 for the Nintendo 64. (It's just a label on a random cart)
I'm always checking etsy for an SNES mousepad. I left mine at a cousin's house in 1994, and every time I've found one, it's got kid damage. I want a pristine one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version