Author Topic: Badass World War 2 movie  (Read 13929 times)

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
Re: Badass World War 2 movie
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »
Oh, oui!!!!!  ;D

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 08:48:26 PM »
"We in the business of killing Nazis, and business is a-boomin'."

brad pitt looks too much like george clooeny in some of the scenes which weirds me out.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 02:25:06 AM »
As long as you don't read the Sun.   >:(

I would never read that pile of garbage for precisely the reason we do not speak of.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline jacktheripper305

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2009, 12:00:57 PM »
I just saw this movie a couple nights ago, and though I enjoyed it, it wasn't what I expected. I wish I had seen the french trailer, so I would have had a more accurate impression of what the movie was about.

I was expecting it to be about the exploits of the basterds... nothing else...

This happens a lot, where trailers tend to misrepresent the movie, and it annoys me so much.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »
This happens a lot, where trailers tend to misrepresent the movie, and it annoys me so much.

me to.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 05:11:22 AM »
I read another review of this yesterday that gave it a 4 out of 5 rating, but the critic also mentioned that it was not at all what he expected and could hear some grumbling and groaning from others who had expected something else.  By all accounts, as JTR has suggested, this film has been misinterpreted beforehand due to some misrepresentation perhaps?  It seems that it is no more than some good clean fun (I have no issue with the comedic approach to war) and may well prove worthy of QT afterall.

Offline feelingindifferent

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 05:29:32 AM »
I loved this movie, the dialogue was beyond superb (so hard to get good conversations in Hollywood anymore). Even in a foreign langauge! E.g. when Landa says "Bravo, to your 'filles' and your 'vaches'" or something like that to LaPadite, I read somewhere that 'vache' in slang means vajayjay.
And even in the opening scene (which was exactly like The Good the Bad and the Ugly) the tension was through the roof.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 06:22:22 AM »
"The Good the bad and the ugly" is beyond compare..

I will personally never see this film as I don't really agree with its premise as I have already stated, but then I have never seen a "chick flick" either so I'm used to missing out on a good laugh..

I am left wondering why, if there was such confidence in this film by its producers, did they spent $35 million on a marketing campaign?  That is a fairly unprecedented amount.

Offline feelingindifferent

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 06:27:18 AM »
I guess after Kill Bill, most people think that his movies are just full of gratuitous violence, of course, wrongly. So I suppose the producers employed the bait and switch method of marketing to rake in more cash.

Also, there isn't a weak performance in this movie. Christoph Waltz, you need an Oscar. "THAT'S A BINGO!"

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 06:38:07 AM »
I guess after Kill Bill, most people think that his movies are just full of gratuitous violence, of course, wrongly. So I suppose the producers employed the bait and switch method of marketing to rake in more cash.

Also, there isn't a weak performance in this movie. Christoph Waltz, you need an Oscar. "THAT'S A BINGO!"

I'm all for some of QT's "gratuitous violence", it's the subject matter of this film that I am not comfortable with.

I can't see Brad Pitt winning an Oscar for this judging by the fairly universal criticism of his performance, which is a shame as I quite like Brad Pitt.

IB strikes gold

Offline jacktheripper305

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 12:21:13 PM »
This film is more about an assassination plot than it is about a squadron of jews killing nazis. I'll be honest, I went into it expecting it to be about a guerrilla squad killing nazis, but it wasn't really. The conversation and tension in the movie, even without the gratuitous violence was still really good. Just not what I was expecting out of the movie.