Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 148729 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1695 on: September 10, 2020, 07:10:32 AM »
I'd watch it if I could get it here.  We pay for amazon prime and most tv shows "are not available in your area," so other than various Mexican productions, etc. we get next to nothing.

I finished watching "A Place to Call Home," an Aussie telenovela that was so LGBTQ friendly that it was positively anachronistic against the backdrop of the 1950's.  It's like the struggles that plagued that community were in some faraway dream, thereby trivializing the utter hell that oppressed the everyday reality of LGBTQ persons.  Those incidents are noted in passing but were minimized to an unrealistic degree by the end of the series. In one season, a guy undergoes conversion therapy until his wife intervenes; in another a guy gets beaten, but he is reclaimed by the small town where he originated and then integrated into Sydney's gay scene; and there are threats of exposure and blackmail, but by the final season, everyone is embraced and protected by members of the main family.  Love conquers all.

It was a real heigh ho happy ending feel good kind of show.  And that's fine, except that it degenerated into a trite predictable format with poor writing.  Some of the actors were quite good, so it was sad to see them struggling with such bad material.

We tuned into an episode of Ruth Jones' "Stella" last night.  We really enjoyed "Gavin and Stacey," so had high hopes for this, but so far, it's a pale ghost of the latter.  Maybe it gets better, so we'll try another episode.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:17:58 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #1696 on: Yesterday at 04:09:20 AM »
I've been watching True Blood. I had bought the DVD set of the first season a long while back, and aside from the opening scene didn't much care for it, everyone seemed stupid and self absorbed.

I'm now up to season 3, episode 9, and that seems to be true. Wouldn't want to be in the same room with any of the cast, but their stupidity can be great fun. I particularly like/hate Eric. He's a sleazy golly always pushing the angles, but it's fun to watch.

The weird stilted nature of Bill Compton can be a lot of fun, when he's trying to be a civil war era gentlemen while dealing with absolute batshit insane plots, but sometimes he can be annoying as golly.

Sookie is a black bless'ed hole, almost an Anti-sue. Everyone around her gets hurt, while everyone asks "Where's Sookie"?

Some of the vampire behavior is truly disturbing, and they revel in it. The character Franklin, for example, is horrible in nearly every scene he is in.

I still don't know if I "like" true blood. It's compelling stuff, but feels like time wasted. Maybe that's more on me.
just one little time change so a draft board in 1968 turns down the bribe to accept "bone spurs" and we are home-free.

Offline christ

• Definitely not staff
  • Divinity
  • Australopithecus
« Reply #1697 on: Yesterday at 04:14:32 AM »
I couldn't stand True Blood (amusing premise, dreadful characters), but I enjoyed the first season of Midnight, Texas.
* with significant exceptions.

This post will self-destruct in <5 days.
(Probably <1, now I think about it)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #1698 on: Yesterday at 05:38:05 AM »
The first episode of True Blood was plenty for us.  Your assessment of "stupid and self-absorbed" is about right.  I read Twilight.  Then saw the movie.  Lame does not begin to describe it.  A new wrinkle on the girl who falls in love with the bad boy in town, only to find he's deeply sensitive and misunderstood.  The Anne Rice books were better.  What we do in the shadows is pretty funny and as we haven't seen the movie, I'll probably pull that up in the near future.

We are relegated to rewatching series available on youtube, the library, or daily motion.  I did bring a hard drive so we have a few more options.  I never heard of Midnight, TX, but at this point, I'm game for anything.  It will most likely beat a second repeat viewing of other shows like Sons of Anarchy or The Expanse.