Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 349637 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1785 on: June 28, 2021, 05:41:11 PM »
I didn't pick up For All Mankind because Ron Moore writes great, thought provoking shows... and tortures the poo out of the characters. He's been doing it since DS9.

They once killed off one of the characters love interests because he didn't cause enough problems. And replaced him with Nurse Ratched. And made her the space pope.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1786 on: June 28, 2021, 11:27:07 PM »
Mare of Easttown was good. I hope that they leave it at one series/ season.

For All Mankind was good too. Enjoyed the second series as much (if not more) than the first

Spoiler (hover to show)

I just watched part of episode 1 of Mare of Easttown.  The mid Atlantic accents are perfect.  It's a nice change from Dix Pour Cent, which is silly gossipy French chick flick tv.  Some of the characters belong on Jerry Springer.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1787 on: June 29, 2021, 12:16:55 AM »
Tic Tock - Come on England

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1788 on: July 02, 2021, 05:55:46 AM »
The French Village.  Historical drama about the Nazi occupation of a town (Villeneuve) in France.  Nazis=bad.  Some locals go along with them, hoping that the whole business will go away eventually.  Communists still wanting to hand out leaflets.  Black market activity.  People behaving either heroically or badly out of cowardice/greed.  Some extramarital affairs made even more complicated by the occupation.

A good cast and reasonable acting, but I wouldn't call it exciting.  Maybe viewed back to back with "Allo, Allo" might be funny, although the latter sort of jumped the shark after Season One.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1789 on: July 04, 2021, 10:47:59 PM »
Now watching For all Mankind.

I was slow warming up to it, but my husband is even watching it.  So keep up the recommendations, chris.  We finished Mare of Easttown.  I agree that one season is about right.  Who knows what the Hollywood suits might do, though, since it most likely made money.  Kate Winslet is a far cry from the twit she portrayed in Titanic.  That's refreshing.  She should lose the vaping, though.  It's annoying.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1790 on: July 06, 2021, 06:48:14 AM »
The genesis of "Allo, Allo" sort of explains this. It started life as a spoof of a serious drama (Secret Army), and each of the characters in Allo, Allo is a direct parody of the corresponding character in Secret Army. (Secret Army was in its own right a decent show). Because Allo, Allo was funny and popular it got dragged out into umpteen series, and had to get more and more exaggerated to keep the "laughs" going.
Thanks, chris.  We had no idea.  Maybe we should check out Secret Army.  I know little of the French Resistance and the period of occupation, but the French Village gives a reasonable idea.  It seems to go on for several seasons.  SA is available for streaming on dailymotion, at least for now.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1791 on: July 12, 2021, 12:04:10 AM »
ATM nothing catches my fancy

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #1792 on: July 12, 2021, 11:01:20 AM »
I'm watching the borgias on netflix.  It's getting that historical fiction spot for me.  It's a must fill position when its empty, ever since vikings started, and really willow and braveheart were my all time favorites... I just need fiction or historical drama or both all the time.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1793 on: July 13, 2021, 01:26:24 AM »
Just started watching Loki  8)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1794 on: July 13, 2021, 09:19:39 PM »
SS-GB, the Nazis take over Great Britain in WW2.  Big detective (Archer of Scotland Yard) engages in strife between Germans and the Resistance.  It's well acted and the writing is good.  We keep falling asleep while it's on because it's dark and quiet.

Near the end of  Season 1 of For all Mankind.  It's like a soap opera in space.  Lots of drama, most of it interpersonal.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1795 on: July 14, 2021, 12:09:53 AM »
LimeTown. Reminiscent of a feminist X-Files so far.
Friend told me about this series and recommended me to watch as a great plot yesterday

SS-GB, the Nazis take over Great Britain in WW2.  Big detective (Archer of Scotland Yard) engages in strife between Germans and the Resistance.  It's well acted and the writing is good.  We keep falling asleep while it's on because it's dark and quiet.

Near the end of  Season 1 of For all Mankind.  It's like a soap opera in space.  Lots of drama, most of it interpersonal.

Read the book years a go, didnt know a series had been made

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #1796 on: July 16, 2021, 02:07:56 AM »
We're doing the Loki thing as well and Shadow and Bone.

Finding them both most enjoyable.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #1797 on: July 16, 2021, 12:27:26 PM »
I loved the Loki series but I'm biased as I'm a Marvel and Loki fan-boy. That said, I still think it was well worth the watch.

Got to Shadow and Bone a few months back and thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Those types of stories and genres are right in my wheelhouse.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1798 on: July 17, 2021, 12:25:35 AM »
We're doing the Loki thing as well and Shadow and Bone.
I loved the Loki series but I'm biased as I'm a Marvel and Loki fan-boy. That said, I still think it was well worth the watch.
Got to Shadow and Bone a few months back and thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Those types of stories and genres are right in my wheelhouse.

Havent made the jump to Shadow and bone yet.
Enjoying Loki a lot

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1799 on: July 18, 2021, 09:45:50 PM »
Get Shorty.  Not bad.  I enjoyed the movie.  This is a surprisingly good television adaptation.  On amazon prime.  It may have been on some network before it ended up here.  The acting is good.  I really enjoy Elmore Leonard's books, so this is pretty entertaining.

We are in Season 2 of For All Mankind.  After a promising and engaging first season, the show has deteriorated.  Now, it's all Drama Drama Drama. 

Who cares about space when you can have a soap opera at home?  Characters suffer severe personality changes to accommodate the need for strife and edge of your seat suspense.  The writing has become trite and predictable and the acting is about 3 rungs under that of the daily soap, The Bold and The Beautiful.  (And that's not a particularly good soap opera.)  This evening's episode was especially chock full of drunken confrontations, car crashes, family slap fests, and belligerent displays of stupidity.

Will she go to Annapolis?  Will her drinking keep her from returning to the Moon?  Will he lose that beer belly and get his sanity back?  Will our favorite illegal immigrant, who has suddenly become an irrational surly madam, take that job at NASA?  We don't know, even though there's a zillion equally well qualified engineers who would gnaw their right arm off to get it and special efforts are being made to offer it to her?  Frankly, I feel like madam slapping the lot of them at this point. My husband has sworn off any future episodes as he has a much lower tolerance for dreck than I do.  I'll probably watch the rest of it after I run out of Get Shorty.  sorry Chris.  I wonder if you had the same impression.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 06:55:54 AM by 6pairsofshoes »