Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 333395 times)

Offline Nobby

• Q
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1035 on: June 04, 2015, 10:20:21 AM »
Who puts a Sample in a Sports Bottle ?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #1036 on: June 04, 2015, 11:52:50 AM »
Who puts a Sample in a Sports Bottle ?

HA!! You'd be surprised the things people use to put samples in!! This happened to a colleague of mine: He received a sample of fecal matter in a thermal bottle/cup of sorts. I must say this was the 90's. I don't think anybody would even consider receiving a sample like that nowadays. Anyway, when he tried and opened the bottle it was like a geiser of poo. When the patient was phoned and asked for a new sample he explained he had travelled all over the city in a motorcycle before turning in the sample.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1037 on: July 12, 2015, 03:12:56 AM »
I'll check out Car Share as I like good comedy and it's nigh impossible to locate much in the U.S.

I'm ploughing through Sons of Anarchy.  It's pretty grim.  What a misogynistic bunch.   On the bright side, they've got some pretty enablers to help support their rampant sexism.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #1038 on: July 12, 2015, 07:40:33 AM »
Think Hamlet inna leather.
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1039 on: July 12, 2015, 06:35:52 PM »
I frequently check Wikipedia because I like to know the background of the actors.  There is an especially distinguished and well regarded cast, particularly of supporting actors.  For example, one, William Lucking, who plays Piney Winston, a co-founder of the Motorcycle club, has a long career in which he often acted in Westerns, both film and television.  He was a co-founder of the Santa Paula Theatre Center, an acting workshop known for producing such classics as GB Shaw's Major Barbara, Albee's Zoo Story, etc.

His long career acting in Western dramas struck me as especially enlightening, given there's really little difference in the emoting and outlaw status of many of the bikers.  The connections to Greek drama and Shakespeare, also, didn't escape me.  Perhaps this was because so much of the plot development revolves around classic human conflict related to family relations, to the conflicts between duty to family and the state, etc.

I was quite surprised to learn that the main male protagonist, Jax Teller, the quintessential California boy hunk was played by Charlie Hunnam, a native of Newcastle on Tyne.  There is no evidence of a British accent.  He is thoroughly convincing as an American.

This is not the best writing ever, but it's completely amazing to me how much serious talent is involved with the production of television these days.  The industry has been thoroughly transformed in a generation.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:37:47 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #1040 on: July 13, 2015, 07:18:25 AM »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1041 on: July 13, 2015, 11:16:24 AM »
Fox has been a veritable nursery of acting talent.  Not only Katie Segal, but Bryan Cranston (Married w/Children & Malcolm in the Middle).  Scoff at those lame sitcoms all you want, but they went on for years, and I'm sure those regular paychecks took the sting out of working on a kitschy show for so long.

Fox has a poor track record of yanking its better shows. To wit:  Greg the Bunny, Banzai, Keen Eddie, etc. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:18:06 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #1042 on: July 13, 2015, 12:07:33 PM »
Scoff at those lame sitcoms all you want

Married with Children is a lame sitcom?!  :o

And Keen Eddie FTW!!

Online smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #1043 on: July 13, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
I used to love Married with Children. It settled the stomach after watching the Cosby Show.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1044 on: July 14, 2015, 03:16:01 AM »
I'm with you, smokes.  I never got the Cosby show.  I always thought it was a real snorefest.  Married with Children was amusing at least.  And there was something musical about Katie Segal's frequent plaintive "Al----lllllll!" as if her background as a singer infused her delivery of lines.

There are times in the unrelenting stabbing, shooting and fisticuffs of Sons of Anarchy, that I long to hear Katie Segal break character and launch into another relieving "Al.." complaint.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1045 on: July 17, 2015, 01:50:12 AM »
I'm up to Season 6 of Sons of Anarchy and have decided that the writers fell off a cliff.  None of the characters appeal to me any more.  They're all just either terrible human beings or idiots who should know better but will keep suffering because they're too stupid to act on their own behalf.

I just can't bring myself to watch any more of it.  Plus, it's like someone figured out how to write a computer program to introduce variables of various types into the plot and the narrative continues in its own sordid path forward:  betrayals, killings, violence, and no virtue anywhere.  Snore.  This is the darkest portrayal of human failure and there's no redemption, no instruction, no benefit to viewing it.  Poor Horace would turn in his grave at the prospect.

I feel sorry for the cast who are stuck on this train wreck of a show.  If you want to start a new drinking game, you can take a swig every time someone gets offed on this show.  That should have you under the table before the hour is up.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:54:06 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #1046 on: July 17, 2015, 07:09:01 AM »
... If you want to start a new drinking game, you can take a swig every time someone gets offed on this show.  That should have you under the table before the hour is up.

lol

Without "pulling a spoiler'' here, trust me... the finale is lame, contrived, and supposedly some sort of redemption for an unexamined life. I guess the coke train ran out of gas like it does on so many of these projects.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #1047 on: July 17, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »
I feel sorry for the cast who are stuck on this train wreck of a show.  If you want to start a new drinking game, you can take a swig every time someone gets offed on this show.  That should have you under the table before the hour is up.

lol
Without "pulling a spoiler'' here, trust me... the finale is lame, contrived, and supposedly some sort of redemption for an unexamined life. I guess the coke train ran out of gas like it does on so many of these projects.

I love you guys! You made me laugh, applaud, and stay away from SOA all at once.  :)

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #1048 on: July 24, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »

Online smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #1049 on: July 24, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »
We're all loving the Agent Carter miniseries at the moment. We could have watched all 8 episodes on the bounce.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.