Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 114408 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1545 on: October 19, 2019, 03:20:42 AM »
I'm assuming that by "Jorah the Andal" you mean Iain Glen.  He's one of those talented British actors who seems to be everywhere.  We like to say, "that guy gets a lot of work" when we see actors like that.

He's got a reasonable range, also.  His Wikipedia page is pretty impressive to that end.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Glen
James Norton, who, on Grantchester, plays a dishy vicar with a penchant for the music of the American clarinetist, Sidney Bechet, is equally convincing as a psychotic rapist on Happy Valley.  The British take their theatre seriously and acting is a real craft across the pond.  We just like to watch them perform.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #1546 on: October 20, 2019, 06:21:50 AM »
I've been totally glued to the Rugby World Cup since its commencement and it's really been thrilling.

I'm sad about Japan's elimination but there could still be a shock winner. Who knows?..

I'm talking about Wales, Goldie, not England!
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #1547 on: October 21, 2019, 03:51:12 AM »
I've never seen a rugby match, except on tv.  It might be good to learn to play.  It's like Ur Football, right?

The Naval Academy in Annapolis has a rugby team.  They distributed bumper stickers that said, "it takes leather balls to play rugby" to advertise the team.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:53:24 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #1548 on: October 21, 2019, 04:23:33 AM »
You've mentioned Mayans a few times. Kurt Suter managed to get himself fired off Mayans, managed to call himself "an abrasive richard".

Like, if someone else said that, sure. I doubt many people enjoy working with richard Wolf. But saying that yourself? C'mon edge lord, you can write all the Marilyn Manson rape scenes you want, it just makes you look like a weirdo. And Marilyn Manson likes it!
just one little time change so a draft board in 1968 turns down the bribe to accept "bone spurs" and we are home-free.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1549 on: October 24, 2019, 03:57:24 PM »
I've never seen a rugby match, except on tv.  It might be good to learn to play.  It's like Ur Football, right?

The Naval Academy in Annapolis has a rugby team.  They distributed bumper stickers that said, "it takes leather balls to play rugby" to advertise the team.

There are 2 types of rugby: union and league. Rugby union is the real business end of the game and not for the faint hearted. Rugby league however, while less physical, is faster paced and can sort of be a rugby union "highlights" show.

I'm a union man myself.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #1550 on: October 24, 2019, 07:14:19 PM »
I'm kind of a sports ignoramus.  So I went to Wikipedia to look it up.  I didn't realize that Rugby is the name of the school in Warwickshire where the current sport was established in the mid-19th century.  Lord only knows what they play in Annapolis.  There have been collegiate teams in the US since the 19th century and they have a collegiate rugby union (including women's teams) with intercollegiate divisions that compete amongst themselves.  But how their rules compare to those adopted by the two divisions in the UK is not clear, nor was I able after digging a while, to figure it out.

I got the impression that Union rugby in the UK was established among teams that paid their players so the business end makes sense.  It's not clear if there are different sets of rules or variations in play between them and league rugby.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1551 on: November 06, 2019, 01:32:46 AM »
To watch live is an experience, not always the game but the fan integration and friendly rivalry plus copious amounts of beer

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #1552 on: November 06, 2019, 01:44:42 AM »
Jack Ryan Season 2 is much better than Jack Ryan Season 1. It's more like a movie. I feel like in the first season, aside from being the perpetually regurgitated Osama Bin Laden plot, you could see the seams, it was clearly a streaming production.

In Season 2, it's just the cars. These are clearly rental cars, whatever the hell they put them through. Bad guys get away a bit too much for my liking, stretching things out, but it is a fantastic season. I can't recommend the first season, and you're not missing much if you jump right in on 2, which is interesting.

There was a lot of speculation that a character in the first season was John Clark, they kill him off here, and I think it's a disservice. They already have to re-jigger the timeline, I don't get why this guy had to die.

Like, the event that really catapulted Jack Ryan into the public eye (In the original timeline) was when he saved Chuck and Di from Sean Bean. They changed it to a lower station guy in the movie, but I think that was a disservice, it was a hell of a thing having Chuck throw down with Irish terrorists at a dinner party in a thunderstorm.  The book stuff on how Jack Ryan had to decline a knighthood because of AMERICA was funny too.

Nowadays, they'd have to juggle that into being one of Chuck's sons!  I dare say both would fare a bit better than actual chuck in a firefight.

Then again, maybe the last episode will end horribly. I've liked it so far, but felt like a nasty twist is waiting in the wings.

Alright, I watched the last episode, and the nasty twist didn't end up what I thought it would be.

I really like that. A lot of shows tentpole show you what is going to happen, and spoon-feed the rest of the episode.

They didn't do that here.

Things did get a little Jingo, but when did Tom Clancy NOT?

All in all, I give S2 a thumbs up, when S1 was a thumb sideways. It was a promising season, but the bad guys were same old, same old. Here, we got a yarn worthy of Clancy.

And a dead man gets an executive producer credit.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 02:30:33 AM by 8ullfrog »
just one little time change so a draft board in 1968 turns down the bribe to accept "bone spurs" and we are home-free.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #1553 on: November 06, 2019, 11:42:53 AM »
Jack Ryan sounds promising. I like Homeland, and I don't think it's back yet.

I took the night off and watched Spiral (S2, which I've seen before, but not for a long time).  Mean French drug dealers and a corrupt legal system with virtuous cops and judges undermined by the promise of money, power or fame.   

And Mayans MC.  Mayans MC had a pretty high body count last night, S2:10.  If they keep this up there won't be any bikers left in California to liaise with in order to distribute contraband like drugs and weapons.  This was the season finale.  Lots of dead bodies and little sense that things were going to get much better.  Bikers taking leave of their senses.  Nice Stanford educated hispanic guy (Ezekiel) gets promoted to full membership in the club with a shiny new vest just in time to go murder a bunch of Mexican bikers.  So much for honor among thieves.  Mother of drug cartel kingpin gets offed at her own request.  That should sit well in Season 3.

Really, Mayans MC should also be called Spiral, since it starts out sort of sad and gets downright depressing, looping down until the only option is to drive one's motorcycle into a semi to end the series.  Is this what having Kurt Sutter fired results in?

I read this today.  Disney underwrites this?  Mayans MC is a far cry from the Mickey Mouse Club.  Gak.  https://deadline.com/2019/10/kurt-sutter-letter-mayans-mc-struggles-disney-culture-dana-walden-john-landgraf-fx-sons-of-anarchy-1202762937/#:~:text=EXCLUSIVE%3A%20As%20Deadline%20reported%20earlier,the%20FX%20series%20Mayans%20M.C.&text=Sutter%20also%20reveals%20his%20struggle,ultimately%20led%20to%20his%20firing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:05:23 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1554 on: November 08, 2019, 03:49:40 AM »
I haven't enjoyed a show as much as I did season 1 or "The Terror" for years. However, I can't get through the first episode of season 2.

That could be due to the fried brain condition I'm currently experiencing

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #1555 on: November 08, 2019, 04:08:01 AM »
You are not alone.  We enjoyed Season 1 and could barely get through 5 minutes of Season 2 Episode 1.  It's just unnecessarily violent for no apparent reason.

I'm watching Spiral (Engrenages) Season 2.  Entertaining police drama set in contemporary Paris.  Actors are very good and the writing is compelling.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:46:02 PM by 6pairsofshoes »