Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 345680 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1755 on: March 14, 2021, 10:17:13 AM »
It has to be better than The Affair.

I keep reading about how so much talent was thrown at this boondoggle.  That has to explain all the Golden Globe awards and nominations.  It's God's own mystery why it was so successful.  I have to fast forward through parts of it at times.  What a bloated mess.  We may start Your Honor as a corrective.  Although it sounds like a cascade of poor judgments with ensuing tragic consequences.

Watched a couple episodes of the US version of Low Winter Sun last night.  I may go back and find the UK version, which is shorter.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1756 on: March 14, 2021, 08:23:07 PM »
People on the internet mocked the poo out of low winter sun.

AMC pushed hard, there were times you'd see back to back ads for low winter sun. And that ad was not short.

They even had the balls, WHILE Breaking Bad was still running to interrupt new episodes of breaking bad with clips from low winter sun, and they repeatedly said "The new breaking bad!" in the ads.

Needless to say, the show was not warmly embraced.

Seriously, Walter white would be smouldering, and then BAM, Same bless'ed low winter sun commercial you saw 10 minutes ago.

Hah, I just looked it up, they even bumped breaking bad to give low winter sun it's timeslot.

It was a clunky, golly up coat tail rider.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1757 on: March 15, 2021, 03:04:04 PM »
That's interesting.  I think that, because I get tv by unconventional means, these odd programming strategies have escaped my notice.

The show is dark and sort of overly dramatic.  And like most cop shows, everybody is so good looking that it beggars belief.  This is not unusual, but combined with the various usual tropes, it sort of gives one pause.  I wonder how the UK version is.  I've been speeding through that stupid Showtime series and have a little more left, but I'll be glad to see the back of that.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #1758 on: March 16, 2021, 04:38:35 AM »
Your Honor is definitely One Foot In The Grave.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1759 on: March 19, 2021, 03:35:31 PM »
I can't express how much I hate Your Honor. It has become such an unbelievable mess that I hardly look at it while it's on, opting to just listen while reading something else. With only 2 episodes left I have to see it through but, as I said to the missus last night, if he died, if his son died, if his girlfriend died, if Triple G died, in fact, if absolutely everyone in the show simultaneously died, I wouldn't give a monkey's.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1760 on: March 19, 2021, 04:47:44 PM »
Thanks for saving me the trouble.  It looked kind of overwrought and depressing.  I watched about 20 minutes of the first episode and it was just gory and sad.  Not unbelievable, but it didn't seem like a cheerful or uplifting series.

Not that most of the tv we watch is like that, but I was alone and it was late.  It seemed too depressing for something to watch before I go to bed.  The Affair is kind of like "feel good" life affirming show about privileged idiots who screw up their lives and then find some kind of redemption while the secondary characters get picked off.  Gak.

We are rewatching Endeavour, which is pretty well done, but I would enjoy watching something new for a change.  I inhale new shows, like the last season of The Expanse, far too quickly.  And that was kind of disappointing.  The books were better at this point.  Some other good sci fi would be welcome if anyone has suggestions.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1761 on: March 19, 2021, 10:38:19 PM »
for the first time in a while I watched RED NOSE day 2021and donated.
I also had to leave Twitter for the shear amount of hatred, vitriol , racism , bigotry on the "trending" part of twitter.
It should have been shut down

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1762 on: March 20, 2021, 08:51:26 AM »
I asked my husband if we'd ever watched MMysteries and he said, "yeah, they were kind of dull."  We like British mysteries in general.  It comforts me somewhat to know that others will stick with shows they don't like that much.  I'm looking forward to wrapping up The Affair, which stuns me in the sheer amount of acting talent that is wasted on this trite, predictable screen writing.  It's like the fascination of watching a train wreck to its conclusion.  I basically don't like a single character and frankly don't care what happens to them.  Still, it's lots better than The Girls, which was utterly loathsome. 

Prime Suspect, Cracker, The Inspector Morse franchise, Shetland, Vera, Vincent, River, Unforgotten, etc.  That's a short list of the mystery series that we watch regularly.

We started watching Cold Courage last night and that seemed ok, although the version we were watching didn't have subtitles, and given we don't speak Finnish, there were substantial chunks of dialogue that we couldn't follow.  And the latest season of Mayans MC is back, a spinoff from Sons of Anarchy that is equally good but with a similar cast of troubled and somewhat doomed characters.

I am probably going back to reading novels after this latest bad late night viewing.  Some tv could be said to have been subsidized by the American Library Association to encourage people to go back to reading.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1763 on: March 21, 2021, 06:03:08 AM »
Maybe we'll try it again when we run out of Endeavour.  I could probably recite lines from most of the Inspector Morse episodes at this point.  How many times can you watch a mystery without knowing exactly what's going to happen next?  It kind of kills the suspense factor.

I began watching a current NBC sci fi drama, "Debris" last night.  So far (20 minutes in until the circle wheel of death began spinning and no more program) it looks vaguely lame but with higher than usual production values.  Alien debris showers across the globe and the fragments from the exploded vessel cause such odd stuff to happen to those who encounter it as ability to pass through walls, levitate, etc.  Of course this stuff is powerful and dangerous.  So, there's a team of law enforcement/special ops who are dedicated to locating them and storing them safely.  There's also a black market for the fragments.  So there's a cops vs criminals element.

I can imagine the conversation when this was pitched: 
"Let's do a kind of X Files thing, but with one main theme:  alien artefacts that give special powers, cause problems.  We can make it a cop show hybrid, include some hot international investigators who come to the US and there can be tension between the cops, internally, and with some weekly bad guy stars."

The suits at NBC must have thought, "great, this will let us get some of the audiences that normally watch the sci fi channel or the amazon prime streaming shows." 

Constantly chasing that younger demographic.  Let's see if it sucks.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 04:51:30 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1764 on: March 21, 2021, 06:50:09 AM »
We finished Your Honor and I would have rated it higher in my estimation as the last couple of episodes started to get interesting although, like I've said, you pretty much hate everyone by this time especially his honor. That is until the final scene that pretty much makes the entire show pointless and this is completely intentional. For this, I still hate it intensely.

Bugger off I say.

I also found it quite racist as:

Spoiler (hover to show)

I'm getting back to season 4 of Channel Zero that happens to scare the crap out of me.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1765 on: March 23, 2021, 09:43:00 PM »
Debris looks really stupid.  The music ruins any possibility that we might take the show seriously.  It's like getting banged on the head non stop with bad music that insists, "this is a suspenseful wondrous tv show."  Gak.

Gimme James T. Kirk and monsters throwing papier mache rocks over this any day of the week.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1766 on: March 24, 2021, 12:03:46 PM »
He's got a movie coming out Thursday?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1767 on: March 30, 2021, 11:31:48 PM »
Silk:  Soap opera with pretty lawyers.  Snore.  Whoever wrote the music (relentless string strokes) should be slapped upside the head with a 1) rubber chicken, or 2) giant loaf of white bread.

Started watching The Bench tonight.  Half hour episodes are a plus.  So far, interesting but not compelling.  Still looking for something better to watch.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1768 on: April 17, 2021, 09:14:54 PM »
Zero, Zero, Zero.  Italian crime drama that deals with both ends and the middle of a cocaine trade, including shippers and brokers.  There's some interesting personalities thrown in as well as some useful practical elements, like the ship's engine room, that covers the shipping portion of the trade.  There's some sick, corrupt Mexicans who work for the cartel/army and who wipe their consciences clean of the horrible acts they commit by regular visits to the local evangelical church.

Soon to be overseen by Satan.  At any rate, this is amazon prime and well worth watching.  Everyone is kind of unlikeable, but they're all criminals, so, what would you expect?

Also The Secret State:  With Gabriel Byrne, Gina McKee and a host of other BBC regulars.  Very talented cast and some pretty sleazy back room and behind the scenes behavior that is far from in the spirit of representative democracy.  Great ambiguous ending, too.  Do the good guys win or the bad guys?  Who can say.  4 episode miniseries at about 40 minutes per episode.  Seen on amazon prime.

"Absentia" probably not worth your time.  Kind of tedious and predictable crime drama that goes on for about 3 seasons more than was warranted by the material.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #1769 on: April 20, 2021, 12:08:34 PM »
I'll finally be on amazon prime video soon, I've missed watching carnival row. 
Lately I've been watching the docuseries crap on on Netflix.  Not sure that any of it is accredited