Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 333420 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1830 on: November 23, 2021, 12:30:15 AM »
I am not sure I'm up for such a commitment as to read all of the Wheel of Time series.  I have heard mixed reviews of the books.  On the other hand, I inhaled the George RR Martin books.

They start out well, then get to a certain book (for me and I cannot remember which now) and then they start contradicting themselves.
Also it didnt help that the Author passed away before finishing the series as well.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1831 on: November 28, 2021, 12:27:17 AM »
Finally as i cannot do a lot atm i am watching Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Loving it, a lot easier than the book  ;)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #1832 on: November 29, 2021, 02:02:50 AM »
We've started watching Temple and apart from the fact that I have honestly (really "honestly") just realised there's actually 2 Stanley Tuccis (so he was never in the Kingsman series of films at all?), it not a bad show.

A few too many idiotic and repeated mistakes by the characters which always winds me up, but overall, pretty decent.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1833 on: November 29, 2021, 02:04:20 AM »

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #1834 on: November 29, 2021, 06:05:16 AM »
Ha yeah, Mark Strong could be Stanley Tucci's twin. I think the reddit post is a joke as it's always been M. Strong in the Kingsman movies.
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1835 on: November 29, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »
When I was a child, I had a favorite toy called Wooly Willy.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooly_Willy

I'd love to have a similar photoshop type app to go to work on those two, since I think the structural differences of their faces would be more pronounced without the humdrum 00's de rigueur shaved heads for men with male pattern baldness.  If anyone here with more advanced photoshop skills wants to take a crack at it, I'd be highly amused and grateful.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1836 on: November 29, 2021, 03:06:30 PM »
When I was a child, I had a favorite toy called Wooly Willy.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooly_Willy

I'd love to have a similar photoshop type app to go to work on those two, since I think the structural differences of their faces would be more pronounced without the humdrum 00's de rigueur shaved heads for men with male pattern baldness.  If anyone here with more advanced photoshop skills wants to take a crack at it, I'd be highly amused and grateful.

That may be true but I, quite seriously, watched all of the available Kingsman movies and always presumed it was Stanley Tucci starring in them. All the family did to be honest. I didn't really know of Mark Strong to begin with so I had no reason to question myself. It was only when I couldn't see Stanley Tucci in the credits of Temple that it got me thinking.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1837 on: November 30, 2021, 12:07:48 AM »
That may be true but I, quite seriously, watched all of the available Kingsman movies and always presumed it was Stanley Tucci starring in them. All the family did to be honest. I didn't really know of Mark Strong to begin with so I had no reason to question myself. It was only when I couldn't see Stanley Tucci in the credits of Temple that it got me thinking.

M,Strong is in a lot of movies, but alas he's not renowned for his cocktail making abilities (or he just doesnt show them on social media)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1838 on: December 01, 2021, 01:12:40 AM »
The production values on Wheel of Time are pretty good.  The costumes are beautiful, the actors are beautiful, even the orchestra is beautiful (now where have I heard that before?).  Episode 4 was pretty impressive.  I was pretty lukewarm about it, but it's probably the best thing on that I'm watching right now.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1839 on: December 03, 2021, 02:45:34 AM »
El Cid, on amazon prime, is pretty well done.  Knights jousting, intrigue and backstabbing.
 It's a medieval story of honor and valor.
 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10689614/

This is a Spanish production available either dubbed into English (ick) or with subtitles.  Based on the historical character who was an important warlord in 11th c. Spain (Aragon, Leon, Castille, Galicia, etc.)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1840 on: December 03, 2021, 02:07:20 PM »
Any sign of Charlton Heston & Sophia Loren?

Nope.  Just hot young Spanish actors.  I think we read Le Cid in a French lit class I took in college, Corneille, early 17th c.  A model of personal integrity.  I have only the vaguest of memories of it.  I liked the professor.  She was entertaining.   Perhaps that's why I decided to check it out.  amazon often surprises with various European offerings that are usually only available for a month.  Most of the rest of the "amazon originals" are anything but and often unwatchable dreck.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1841 on: December 04, 2021, 12:36:51 AM »
El Cid was very interesting character indeed.

Watch "The Spanish Musketeer" Very good

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1842 on: December 04, 2021, 01:48:38 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, goldie.

Saw episode 5 of Wheel of Time and the show is really uneven.  4 was better.  I had to fast forward through parts because they were unbearably stupid.  So far the wolves are the best members of the cast because their behavior is reliable and makes sense.  Note to self:  if I get bit by some unwholesome monster in a show, make sure I get wolves to lick the wound.

p.s.  For a low tech era, they sure have lots of inexplicable costume changes.  And these are people on the run with only the clothes on their backs.  And what's with all the magically white clothes?  It's like they have an industrial laundry somewhere.  Nobody has dirt or grass stains, no blood stains, nothing.  The plate glass mirrors are another thing.  Where's the factory?  At least in El Cid, people get dirty and bleed on stuff.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:36:49 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1843 on: December 12, 2021, 01:56:39 PM »
We've just stated on Cowboy Bebop as it was beckoning and beckoning on the Netflix homepage.

It's definitely a little cray-cray, but I'm liking it quite a lot.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1844 on: December 12, 2021, 10:21:46 PM »
I loved the Anime, but even the guy who played Jet in the netflix series seems to think Netflix "adapted" a bit too hard.

Which is interesting, because he's been widely praised as the high point of the series.

A lot of the changes appear to have been stunts, and they sunk the show. John Cho was right, he is too old to play Spike. If this series was made back in '09, around the time of the Star Trek reboot, he would have been spot on.