Author Topic: NASA offers $4M in prizes for bold technology that leads to space elevator  (Read 6055 times)

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!

NASA today announced two ambitious Centennial Challenges that it hopes will garner more powerful wireless technology and build ever-stronger tethers for linking sometimes huge objects in space. 

The 2009 Power Beaming and Tether Challenges goes hand-in-hand with the development of future solar power satellites and a futuristic project known as the Space Elevator.  Space elevators are in a nutshell stationary tethers rotating with the Earth, held up by a weight at its end, and serving as a track on which electric vehicles called "climbers" can travel up and down carrying about 10 tons of payload, according to The Spaceward Foundation which is working with NASA on these challenges.

Centennial Challenges are NASA's program of prize contests to stimulate innovation and competition in solar system exploration and ongoing NASA mission areas, the agency said. In the past it has held such challenges to build lunar landers, personal aircraft and astronaut gloves.

NASA defines the Power Beaming Challenge like this:

"This challenge is a practical demonstration of wireless power transmission. Teams build mechanical devices that can propel themselves up a vertical cable. The power supply for the device is not self-contained but remains on the ground. The technical challenge is to receive the transmitted power and transform it to mechanical motion, efficiently and reliably. Practical systems employing power beaming would have a wide range of applications from lunar rovers and space propulsion systems to airships above the Earth. Wireless power transmission is also a key component of proposed space solar power systems."

This year competitors will be expected to drive their laser-powered devices up a cable one kilometer high. This promises to be the most visually impressive Centennial Challenge event to date, NASA said.

NASA says that in previous beamed power competitions, held in 2006 and 2007 teams failed to meet the ambitious criteria to win the $2 million prize. 

For the tether challenge:  In order to win the $2 million prize, the tether must exceed the strength of the best available commercial tether by 50% with no increase in mass. A tether that can win this challenge would be a major step forward in materials technology. Such improved materials would have wide range of applications in space and on Earth.

According to the Spaceward Foundation, the single most difficult task in building the Space Elevator is achieving the required tether strength-to-weight ratio -- in other words, developing a material that is both strong enough and light enough to support the 60,000 mile long tether. Compared to the best commercially available tether, you would need a material that is almost 25 times better - about as great a leap as from wood to metal.

As you might expect there are myriad rules and regulations for entering and competing in both challenges.

A variety of private teams such as LaserMotive and university researchers from University of Michigan for example are expected to compete for the prizes.

The 2009 Power Beaming and Tether Challenges will be held at the Innovative Science and Technology Experimental Facility at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida between April 29 through May 1, 2009.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/38800
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline Methiah

• Australopithecus
  • Follically Challenged
Re: NASA offers $4M in prizes for bold technology that leads to space elevator
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:50:35 PM »
I read a discussion of this some years ago. Best suggestion they came up with was carbon nanofibre as a candidate for the cable material. But even then the cable tapered from a width of the order of 1 meter to few milimeters at sea level. The length would have to be ~36,000Km
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 01:56:31 PM by Methiah »

Offline hmed2390

• Human
yeah, the carbon nanotubes is the only current feasible way to go.
Even if they had everything planned out, what are they going to do about all of
that space junk floating about? That poses another problem. 

Offline hmed2390

• Human
 8)

Offline knownassociate

• Cro-Magnon
  • ALTAR GIRL & Secretary to the Mostly High Rev. AJ
yeah, the carbon nanotubes is the only current feasible way to go.
Even if they had everything planned out, what are they going to do about all of
that space junk floating about? That poses another problem. 

My first thought on reading this was the winning technology would be a space vacuum that roves about sucking up the all of the shtuff floating about we've lost/dropped/littered. Akin to the little vacuum that vacuums a room on it's own, changing direction when it bumbs into walls and furniture.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
are you being serious?  ???
If that was a joke then my response would be "haha"
if not then, my response would be " haha".
 ;)

Offline knownassociate

• Cro-Magnon
Well, I don't really know how to answer that. Yes, I was being serious about that was my first thought, but I tend to view things with humor at the ready. So I seriously think we need to stop the litterbugging and maybe this will afford us the opportunity to clean up before it gets worse. And on that thought, the little vacuum popped into my mind, corrupting the seriousness.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
 ;) didn't mean to bash you.

I agree that we can't even attempt this until we figure out a way to clean up all of the space crap. I mean, look at the incident from last week, a 5 inch in diameter metal object was going at 10,000MPH+ and that in itself was enogh to sabotage the entire ISS. To think that something like that could collide and seriously destroy and structure during or on the completion of construction sort of renders the whole thingh useless to start with. I found the vaccum amausing because that would seem improbable in sweeping up all of the space junk, and given the random bump and switch directions A.I you threw in, it would take forever.  :-\ But who knows. *shrugs*.

Offline knownassociate

• Cro-Magnon
YOU WERE BASHING ME?!?! lol, didn't feel that way. You did leave out, tho, the damage that would be caused by the vacuum when it bumped into things like planets or space stations...That might have helped you be a better basher, lol

Offline hmed2390

• Human