Author Topic: Prayers Needed  (Read 4659 times)

Offline HDAngel

• Homo Erectus
Prayers Needed
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »
While visiting her sister in Wisconsin, my mother, Donna Harwell became very ill with flu like symptoms. After a few days of this, she became so weak, my aunt took her to the hospital. The doctors found an infection in the lower lobe of her lung. Thinking it was pneumonia they started her on heavy antibiotics. When the antibiotics failed to help her and the infection grew, they determined it was not pneumonia. After many test including Swine flu, H1N1 and H1N2 came out negative they put my mother in the infectious disease ward. She is very ill and the doctors have yet to figure out what the infection in her lung is. The hospital she is in, in Wisconsin does not have it's own labs and all test results are taking one to two days to come back. Making all of this more frustrating for us. My mother is 67 years old and has a rare autoimmune disease that weakens the muscles that support the torso. She was on prednisone which is a synthetic corticosteroid drug that is particularly effective as an immunosupressant, and affects virtually all of the immune system. This weakens her immune system to keep system from fighting itself. But it makes her more susceptible to other diseases that might attack her system. In recent months her autoimmune disease has been doing better and she hasn't been on the prednisone. Still her ability to fight disease is still some what weakened. She has been in the hospital for almost a week now and we still have no idea of what is wrong with her. I am a firm believer in the power of prayer and ask that all of you to please pray for my mother.

Thank you,
Robin
HDAngel
I may not have my Cherry, but I still have the Box it came in.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
Re: Prayers Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:01:05 AM »
 :(  You're definitely in my thoughts. sorry you'e having to deal with this. It sounds frustrating, which would add to the stress eve more. Take care of yourself also..don't wear yourself out if you can help it.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:47:51 AM »
Your mother and your whole family are in my prayers HDAngel.
--dweez

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:55:22 PM »
Will include her in our prayers.

We all  hope she gets better soon.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
Like you have to ask , Robin.
My thoughts and prayors are with you and yours.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline HDAngel

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:31:29 AM »
We still don't know what has my mother so sick. They did more tests today and the infection in her lung seems to have gotten more dense. The doctor is going to use a device that will go in through her nose and then down into her lung to take a biopsy of the infection  tomorrow. Hopefully it will tell us what is making her so ill. She seems to have a lot of good doctors looking after her. I wanted to fly back there but my dad told me not to waste the money. He said the doctors wouldn't  let me into see her since I also have an autoimmune disease. I wish I could be with her. I talked to my cousins back there and they are very worried about her. One of my cousins is pilot. After he went to visit my mom, his job grounded him from flying for a week. What ever she has it has the doctors taking all precautions. I will keep you all posted. Thank you all for your prayers. I know in my heart they will help.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »
Kinda makes you wish Dr House was real.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 06:24:50 AM »
Very sorry to hear such news HD, my thoughts go out to your mother and the rest of your family as well.
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline HDAngel

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 05:44:50 PM »
Mom has Valley Fever.
Valley fever is caused by fungi in the soil. The fungi that cause valley fever can be stirred into the air by anything that disrupts the soil, such as farming, construction and wind. The fungi can then be breathed into the lungs. Valley fever is a form of coccidioidomycosis (kok-sid-e-oi-doh-mi-KOH-sis), or cocci (KOK-si) infection. It can cause fever, chest pain and coughing, among other signs and symptoms. More than half of those who inhale the valley fever fungi have few, if any, problems. But some, especially pregnant women, people with weakened immune systems (like my mom), and those of Asian, Hispanic and African descent, may develop a more serious and sometimes fatal form of coccidioidomycosis infection. If you do develop symptoms, especially severe ones, the course of the disease is highly variable. It can take from six months to a year to fully recover, and fatigue and joint aches can last even longer. The severity of the disease depends on several factors, including your overall health and the number of fungus spores you inhale.

Mom is still very weak, but out of the hospital. She has to be on oxygen and the meds are causing extreme nausea. She was rushed back to the hospital earlier this week because she wasn't able to eat or drink anything. The docs upped her nausea meds and sent her back home to my aunts. She seems to be doing a lot better and hopes to be able to fly home in a couple of weeks. Thank all of you for your prayers. I know they have helped.   

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
Wait? What?!!! All that happened from Hay Fever? Holy Crap!!

Offline Discover99

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 10:29:18 AM »
wow i just found this thread, glad to hear that your mom got a diagnose and the right remedies!

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 04:42:28 PM »
Oh wow HD  :(
I am definitely glad to hear that they finally diagnosed her and that she's doing much better.
And she will keep getting better. :)
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 09:10:47 AM »
Yeah HD, glad to hear it's diagnosed and they're finally able to help her out.  You guys are still in my prayers.
--dweez

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 07:07:01 AM »
That really is good to hear :)