Author Topic: San Diego Comic Con - Days 4 & 5: Saturday and Sunday  (Read 5628 times)

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
San Diego Comic Con - Days 4 & 5: Saturday and Sunday
« on: July 27, 2009, 11:57:01 PM »
I apologise for not finishing this sooner, but we opted not to continue getting the exorbitant $12.95 per day internet after Friday, so I was unable to post.

And then it turns out that both Saturday and Sunday were kind of boring. It had been rumored that both days were sold to capacity and everyone anticipated serious crowds in the dealers room. But really, the added numbers translated into even more people coming to wait for panels in other parts of the Con. Now for clarity, a panel generally consists with a 'discussion' between an audience of fans and a comic creator/tv or movie cast/tv or movie creator. They'll start with the guest talking about whatever property the panel's about and then a short Q&A with audience members.

And peopel are willing to wait for HOURS to get into these panels, some will even camp if they're allowed, especially ones for TV shows and movie properties, many of which have little to no relation to comic books. It's kind of a shame but comics are being marginalized at their own convention.

At any rate, I am unwilling to stand in lines that could be hours long for these things, so I have very little by way of cool stuff for the last two days. :(

I saw some street art:

And this girl's cool Katamari hat that she made (she's kinda cute, too :P):

And of course, I got a few costumes, but it seemed like there were fewer costumes than Friday - perhaps the costumers were in the panels... This first one was a couple staying in my hotel:

And, yes, it looked great from the back, too... :P;D:

And a few famous people, here's C.S. Lee who plays Masuka on Dexter:

Chewbacca!:

I must say, Lou Ferrigno looks great for being 57:

And here's a pic of me with Tom Lennon and Ben Garant from Reno 911 and The State. They insisted I be in the pic with them so BatDan had to man the camera:

And then it was time to go, here's part of the exodus from the building:

And here's the slow teardown:

We eventually got our boxes and were able to finally pack-out all of BatDan's leftover stuff (which was most of it still as he didn't sell much of anything the last 2 days), a task which took us nearly 4.5 hours due to multiple complications with Convention Center load-out policies. :-[

But that means I didn't get to see the room completely empty. :-\

Also, I never got an end to the photo set of Tex and his Planet of the Apes painting because he never finished it. He actually didn't do any work for most of a day and a half and as a result is already behind on the issue of The Punisher he's supposed to have turned in tomorrow night (that's Tuesday 7/27 as of this writing. ::)

Offline frankcapri

• Human
Re: San Diego Comic Con - Days 4 & 5: Saturday and Sunday
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:20:41 AM »
This is a really cool photo log.  It's like I got an exclusive pass and didn't have to suffer through the BO  ;D

Was BatDan resentful that he didn't get a pic with Tom Lennon and Ben Garant?
Size, it doesn't matter to me so long as I get it...Gotta go now.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »
This is a really cool photo log.  It's like I got an exclusive pass and didn't have to suffer through the BO  ;D

Was BatDan resentful that he didn't get a pic with Tom Lennon and Ben Garant?

BatDan doesn't really know who they are. And because they weren't in costume, even when I told him they were on Reno 911 I still had to describe their characters...  :D

Oh, and I have a finishing pic of Tex and the Planet of the Apes painting. The last one is in BatDan's dining room, but I still tried to set it up like the other shots with the TV in the background and everything...  :D

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 11:03:56 AM »
This is a really cool photo log. 

I agree. It was really cool, and well explained. And the pictures were all really excellent.

It's kind of a shame but comics are being marginalized at their own convention.

^ that makes sense. It's weird.. but, it does make sense. Sometimes it seems like almost everything in life turns that way. The hype.. and the fringe semi attached offshoot things, end up swallowing the original idea. It is sad when that happens.

And, yes, it looked great from the back, too... ;D:

geez.. she's amazing :o  I'm totally straight.. and ..yeah.. she's great :P

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 03:17:35 PM »
This is a really cool photo log.
I agree. It was really cool, and well explained. And the pictures were all really excellent.

Thanks.  :)

^ that makes sense. It's weird.. but, it does make sense. Sometimes it seems like almost everything in life turns that way. The hype.. and the fringe semi attached offshoot things, end up swallowing the original idea. It is sad when that happens.

Well, unfortunately here we have a case where large media groups are mining comics for ideas, but still consider them to be a medium of no value (because it's trash for kids,  right?) so they often do not acknowledge the source material. And in many cases alter it drastically. Even Alan Moore cannot escape this...

geez.. she's amazing :o  I'm totally straight.. and ..yeah.. she's great :P

Yes, she is, that's why I had to have her picture.  :P

Offline Discover99

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 01:18:06 AM »
This is a really cool photo log.  It's like I got an exclusive pass

i totally agree, thanks for sharing jack  :)

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 07:48:40 AM »
A friend of mine is in town to visit, and he brought up this year's event. He flies out there every year from New York. He said it was way packed to the point of where it's becoming almost unenjoyable. He also said he saw and Aquaman couple who used football jerseys to make their outfits.. And he said he saw Ron Jeremy, then he made a 'yucky' face/expression..  :D  then we got sidetracked talking about UFC ::) ..so that's the only additional info I heard.