Author Topic: Pixar Love  (Read 62736 times)

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
Re: Pixar Love
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 04:59:28 PM »
It's actually the other way around. Geri's Game premiered with A Bug's Life, so Geri was then cast in Toy Story 2;D

So there's no easter egg in Geri's Game?

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2009, 07:02:37 PM »

Without me, it's just aweso.

A more true statement doesnt exist.  :-*
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:56:53 PM by ohcheap1 »

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2009, 10:56:59 PM »
I don't think I've said it yet Jack, but I love this stuff.  Keep it up.
--dweez

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2009, 12:24:38 AM »
So there's no easter egg in Geri's Game?

Well, within the short itself the only easter egg is the printing on the side of the cigar box Geri tosses the chess pieces into which says "Pt. Richmond Hand Made Pixar Shorts". Point Richmond was where their offices were at the time Geri's Game was produced in 1997. But Geri himself is an easter egg in Toy Story 2 because it came out 2 years later in 1999. :)

By the way, thanks for keeping an eye on the posts, you pointed out a huge mistake on my part for missing Woody with the books.  ;D

Without me, it's just aweso.

A more true statement doesnt exist.  :-*

Awww.... ;)

You flatter me...

I don't think I've said it yet Jack, but I love this stuff.  Keep it up.

Thanks for saying so, I love this stuff too. :)

And moving on to Monsters, Inc. we find significantly less hidden stuff. They kinda went crazy with Toy Story 2, but then it was originally supposed to be a direct-to-video release (until everyone realized it was so good, it needed to have a theatrical release first) so they may have cut developmental corners by reusing imagery rather than have to create it from scratch (which costs money). This is, of course, purely speculation on my part.

Anyway, first up from Monsters, Inc. we have one of the patterns Fungus pulls down for Randall to mimic is the cloud wallpaper from Andy's room in Toy Story (by TS2 they'd moved to a different house and the wallpaper is stars ;)):

When Mike takes Celia to Harryhausen's Sushi, behind the chef is painted a huge clown fish (incidentally, Ray Harryhausen was a stop-motion animation pioneer who specialized in monsters). I've always liked that the sushi chef is an Octopod :D:

And still in Harryhasen's, but after Boo escapes the bag Sully had put her in, Mike gets showered with familiar Chinese food boxes:

And, of course, the clown fish plaque I pointed out earlier in the thread:

I searched for an A113 reference, but wasn't really able to find one (neither has anyone else apparently), but I did find this shot where one of the columns has A13 on it, which is close. What's interesting is that it's an odd number to designate when the one next to it is A25 ??? You be the judge...:

When Sully finally manages to get Boo back into her own room, she wants to give him gifts, and in this shot where she gives him her Jesse doll, we can see the Luxo ball:

She also gives him her Nemo squeak toy:

One can only imagine that these items would be very important to Boo, which is why she's giving them as gifts.  By the end of it, Boo has given Sully all three of the above-mentioned items:

Next up: Finding Nemo (Sweet!)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:29:42 AM by JackFrost »

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2009, 02:26:38 AM »
This topic is so full of kick-ass that my ass is sore.  Fantastic execution  :)

I searched for an A113 reference, but wasn't really able to find one (neither has anyone else apparently), but I did find this shot where one of the columns has A13 on it, which is close. What's interesting is that it's an odd number to designate when the one next to it is A25 Huh You be the judge...:

Wikipedia sez

Monsters, Inc. - Sign seen in the background when Sulley sees Smitty and Needleman loading the trash compactor.[citation needed]

I'm pretty sure this is a falsehood.  You should edit the wiki page and when somebody questions it, show them this thread  :D
Size, it doesn't matter to me so long as I get it...Gotta go now.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2009, 09:23:41 AM »
This topic is so full of kick-ass that my ass is sore.  Fantastic execution  :)

Thanks, frank.  :)

Wikipedia sez

I'm pretty sure this is a falsehood.  You should edit the wiki page and when somebody questions it, show them this thread  :D

Y'know I never saw that wiki citation, so I'll have to go check it for myself. But wiki also claims there's a Pizza Planet truck in The Incredibles, and there just isn't.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2009, 10:02:45 AM »
Y'know I never saw that wiki citation, so I'll have to go check it for myself. But wiki also claims there's a Pizza Planet truck in The Incredibles, and there just isn't.

Well, we know what Jack's gonna be doing all weekend now.  ;D
--dweez

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2009, 10:17:27 AM »

Now on to the tied-with-WALL●E-for-my-favorite, Finding Nemo.

I also think this one is their first flicks where you can really point to the fact that Pixar's movies are not solely for children because the ultimate message of this film is for the adults in the audience: While you're busy trying to make sure nothing happens to your kids, be sure to allow some things to happen to your kids.

The DVD for Finding Nemo is the only case in which I've found that the fullscreen version of the flick is actually superior to the widescreen version. Generally the top and bottom of your TV would have black bars so the the longer width of the picture can be seen instead of being cropped off to fill the frame. In the case of Finding Nemo, when it came time to do the fullscreen version, Pixar just took the widescreen and extended the picture out above and below to fill the frame. So ultimately there is more animation to view...  8) ;D

Granted, they did this back when TVs had the old aspect ratio, instead of flatscreen HDTV's which are oriented for optimal display of widescreen material, so I'm not sure how well it would translate to an HDTV.  :D

At any rate, I used the fullscreen version for the caps.

Okay, and right away we have A-113 as the model designation on the camera the diver uses to snap a pic of Marlon:

Lots of stuff ends up in the background of Philip Sherman's dental office, starting with a copy of "M is for Monster" on his coffee table:

And several things in the toybox. There are actually a couple of other toys of note in this pic, but  are kind of obscure. Take little the wooden plane on the bookshelf, it first appeared in Toy Story, and then again in Monsters, Inc., and if it appears in one other flick, I'll post the caps. So I've pointed out the most obviously recognizable toys here - oh, and the Luxo ball...  ;D:

The shipwrecked boat in the aquarium has the mermaid from the short Knick Knack as it's figure head - although she's not quite as endowed as she was originally:

Hey! Someone posted the unedited version of Kick Knack on YouTube, so here ya go:

And here's our good pal Crush, the 150-year-old sea turtle (take that Sandy Plankton!) that rescues Marlon and Dorie from the jellyfish. He is voiced by Andrew Stanton, the guy responsible for both writing and directing the film:

They even made Crush look a little like him, too:

On the cupboard in the background of this shot is a postcard that says "Welcome to Emeryville!" which is where Pixar now has its offices:

And these next shots contain easter eggs from the two features that would follow this one.

First, the kid waiting in in the dentist's office is reading a Mr. Incredible comic book:

And at the end, as Gill and the gang finally escape the aquarium, Luigi from Cars drives by on the road outside the dentist's office:

And here's Mike Wazowski swimming past through the credits:

Oh, and:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:48:44 AM by JackFrost »

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2009, 11:15:38 AM »
The seagulls in that last image remind me of Aardman characters. Not sure why, maybe it's the close-together eyes.  :-\

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2009, 01:59:14 PM »
And here's Mike Wazowski swimming past through the credits:

This was my daughter's favorite but I loved the mermaid.  ;D ;D

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2009, 04:08:15 PM »
The seagulls in that last image remind me of Aardman characters. Not sure why, maybe it's the close-together eyes.  :-\

Yeah, they do kind of have a Feathers McGraw thing going on:

This was my daughter's favorite but I loved the mermaid.  ;D ;D

I like the mermaid, too partly because Knick Knack is one of my very favorite of their shorts.  ;D

Out of curiosity, how old is your daughter?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2009, 12:54:21 AM »
wow such info  :o
where do you find this out  ???

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2009, 12:59:11 AM »
wow such info  :o
where do you find this out  ???

Ah, admittedly, I'm a bit of a Pixar nut, so I just know some of it. And I've seen some of the movies enough times to know where a lot of things are.

Plus you can go to wiki and get a lot of examples - but they don't have the screencaps...  ;D

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2009, 01:09:29 AM »
you must watch for hours  :D
i'm pondering to buy Monsters inc on blue ray  ???

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2009, 01:16:57 AM »
you must watch for hours  :D
i'm pondering to buy Monsters inc on blue ray  ???

Not really, I just have a good memory for trivia, especially when I really like the subject like I do Pixar. ;D

This isn't a recent obsession, I've seen all of their flicks on opening night, so I'm kinda old school, too. Word.  :P