Author Topic: Strange Boy Scout Speech  (Read 3396 times)

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
Strange Boy Scout Speech
« on: August 27, 2009, 10:36:45 AM »
So I went with BatDan last night to watch his son (whom I've known since he was an infant) get a rank advancement and some merit badges in his Boy Scout troop (he's almost an Eagle - go Davy!).

But before they did the ceremonial passing of the patches, one of the scout leaders got up to talk about some of the troop's recent activities. He was greeted by the entire troop as Mr. Rodriguez and he's apparently a local fire chief. He looked kind of like a cowboy and talked and walked similar as well and had a big thick black mustache.

He talked briefly about some stuff they did locally and then began to talk about a summer camp from which the boys had just returned.

He also mentioned a couple of times that some of the boys were "really filling out their man cards". I'd never heard the term, and when I looked it up, it's some kind of unofficial recognition of activities that make a man a man. I'm largely mentioning this so you keep it in mind for later.

He eventually got around to talking about one of the activities the boys did and referred to it as "climbing the scar pole". Granted, it could have been something different than scar pole, but this is what it sounded like he saying.

Anyway, he went on to say that all of the boys did well at climbing the scar pole and when they got to the top they were made to "kiss the head". "Y'know like the Blarney Stone?," he added.

"Wait, what?," I heard myself whisper involuntarily.

But he continued with, "Y'know it's great when you get to see a young boy get his man card punched."

BatDan and I had to hide our faces to keep from bursting out laughing.

None of the other adults seemed to have picked up on this, or at least they weren't reacting.

But honestly, that was as gay as
Spoiler (hover to show)

:D :D :D

Offline MisterAJ

• Rt Hon Reverend AJ
  • Homo Superior
  • Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Re: Strange Boy Scout Speech
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 03:07:50 PM »
"Billowing backpacks, radioactive man, it's the worst villain of the all: The Scoutmaster!"

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »
And here are my thoughts....

Ive been a scout leader (girl) for 10 years and we actually try to go the extreme opposite from this. We try and portray all people as equal and very rarely do anything that would be defined as "womanly". If the girls learn cooking skills it because you need to cook to sustain your life not because you have to be able to do it for someone else. I guess its all in how you look at it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:28:12 PM by ohcheap1 »

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 02:32:02 PM »
Scouting scares me now
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 03:52:33 PM »
Jesus! how did I miss this thread?

Ironically the naivity in his rhetoric is actually quite reassuring. If he'd been aware of the double entendres in what he was saying, I would have been more concerned of where he learned them...

Scar pole = Scaffold maybe?
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 07:55:55 PM »
Thats an Irish /American term from New York meaning,,,well,, you get the idea.
has to do with a circumsision (sp?) scar.

Dont ask,,I know I know,, I read WAAAAAYYYYYY too much.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.