Author Topic: o_O oops! Are humans really this dumb?  (Read 9951 times)

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
o_O oops! Are humans really this dumb?
« on: September 18, 2009, 09:05:50 AM »
..they aren't even confessing to what it exactly does.. Or sound like they might not know exactly what it does. It sounds like some comic book plot gone wrong >_<

Sheriff's Department Responds To Sonic Device Outrage

POSTED: 3:40 pm PDT September 15, 2009
UPDATED: 6:44 pm PDT September 15, 2009

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego County Sheriff's Department Tuesday responded to 10News' report about a new sonic weapon known as a Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD.

The technology has been used in Iraq to control insurgents, and now it is in the sheriff's department's possession.

With some people concerned over whether the LRAD would be dangerous and if it would be used the way it is in war zones, 10News contacted the sheriff's department for their take.

The device was originally made to be used for war, and it emits high-pitched sounds as a form crowd control.

On Monday, members of the American Civil Liberties Union spoke with 10News, and they expressed outrage that local law enforcement had the device and that they had brought it to recent town hall meetings in case things got out of hand.

Kevin Keenan, of the ACLU, said, "We think that local law enforcement shouldn't be using military style weaponry like that."

On Tuesday, Ed Musgrove of the sheriff's department told 10News the device was only being used for good, like helping search-and-rescue teams and warning residents during fires or floods.

"So, it will never be used in San Diego as a weapon?" asked 10News' Ariana Duarte.

"No, not by the Sheriff's Department, no," said Musgrove.

"And that's a guarantee?"

"Yes."

San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore was recently quoted saying the LRAD was purchased for events "should there be any problems." He also added, "We could use the LRAD in place of pepper spray."

Duarte asked the sheriff's department about the comment and they said it was probably a poor choice of words and insisted that the device was only here to help.

"If the issue was getting the message out to people that need to hear it, then this is the device to do it," said Musgrove.

"So, is it used to startle them?" asked Duarte.

"No."

"Then how is it comparable to pepper spray?"

"I don't know that I would make that comparison."

The LRAD cost the sheriff's department $27,000, and it was paid for with money from a 2007 Homeland Security grant.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
Re: o_O oops! Are humans really this dumb?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »
Quote from: Skadi
..they aren't even confessing to what it exactly does.. Or sound like they might not know exactly what it does. It sounds like some comic book plot gone wrong >_<

:D

that's funny  ;D
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 06:22:28 PM »
for reals though.. it sounds really dangerous.

and stupid...

and irresponsible.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »
it does.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:09:24 PM »
oh well :-\

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 11:52:55 PM »
To answer your question Skadi, yes.  We are. ;D

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 12:24:40 AM »
For the real harmful frequencies they have to be "Infra-Sonic" frequencies (i assume that since these are just glorified PA systems if they can respond to such low frequencies then they can be used as a harmful weapon)...

The frequency that will cause damage to the human body is a modulated frequency around 7(ish) Hz, most PA systems are incapable of producing this very low frequency...

^ well.. that makes sense.. But something still bugs me that I can't place my finger on. Even if it's just the fact that background sound can motivate us certain ways.. or, the wrong combination of background sounds can coincidentally coincide and lead us to be depressed. 

..or, maybe it bugs me that it seems like a first step in something.. then a next step.. and a next step...

or maybe.. it really is that it is just stupid.. but they paid $27,000 on it >_<

The object seems harmless enough. The underlying intent?.. I'm not so sure about. Something is still off-putting.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 01:36:21 AM »
It does have a rather shady undertone to it, like this is a beta for something huge and they're just downplaying what they know about it.  :-\

As for Aelthric's mention of frequencies that only teens and young adults can hear, my high school buddies had this high pitched sound that only people under 21(approx.) could hear,and they'd set it as a ring-tone and call each other during class and drive most of the class crazy, and the teacher would wonder what the flip was going on :D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 02:40:27 AM by hmed2390 »

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 08:26:40 AM »
And then they test it with humans.

But no one being responsible when it happens.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 04:09:37 PM »
My problem with this is that the LRAD is a weapon made for wartime situations,,
 I mean,, if this is alowed to be used, then where will it stop?
People madam and gripe about firearms,, but its ok to use millitary equipment like this on unsuspecting civilians?
 Next it will be ok to open up on civilians with automatic weaponry.
 And no, Im not jumping to conclusions on this,, just watch in the future and see what happenes.
If this device is allowed to be used at the police's discretion,, next it will excalate because something like the LRAD was alowed, so why cant this other be used too?
Before its over, the police will be like another millitary.
OOPS!  hmm,, it is allready,, read a book called Incident At Ruby Ridge.
Its a true story where the authorities got the go ahead to use unusualy strong force on some unsuspecting civilians.
This is all an example of where our law enforcement is crossing the line.
The LRAD is just another example ...
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 02:18:15 PM »
LRAD is only one example how things can turn bad,if it allowed then there are more powerful methods behind the corner waiting their time.

Sad thing is,that this and earlier examples didn't made much media and public reactions,so things can turn uglier all this comes accepted methods some day.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 09:19:44 AM »
The reason it didnt make it alot in the media is because private interest controls alot of the media in this country.
 According to alot of law enforcement, if your poor, speaking up about your rights, or protesting something, your a criminal and you get what you deserve.
Of course, the private interests are controled by the rich, and god forbid anyone poor has a say in any situation.
So,,,the LRAD,, being what it is, will be used on the poor,, ( those protesting, speaking their minds etc.) and they are obviously criminals since they arent rich.
I keep my standards low.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 03:26:36 PM »
The reason it didnt make it alot in the media is because private interest controls alot of the media in this country.
 According to alot of law enforcement, if your poor, speaking up about your rights, or protesting something, your a criminal and you get what you deserve.
Of course, the private interests are controled by the rich, and god forbid anyone poor has a say in any situation.
So,,,the LRAD,, being what it is, will be used on the poor,, ( those protesting, speaking their minds etc.) and they are obviously criminals since they arent rich.

It isn't only US nowadays,even Western European countries are following same road to hell.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
Anything for the rich to keep the underprivilaged from voicing opinions.
It all comes down to the Imperialistic philosophy that the only inteligent people are rich,,otherwise the non inteligent would be rich too.
Bad thing is that 80% of the wealthy come from old money and didnt earn it themselves.
I keep my standards low.

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »
According to Frank Zappa yes,and maybe even a little ugly on the side. ;D