Author Topic: Unbelieveable headlines from your neck of the woods.  (Read 3712 times)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
Unbelieveable headlines from your neck of the woods.
« on: September 18, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »
I just recieved an automated message from the head of my daughter school system to inform all families of this late breaking news story. WTF? Think I might puke.

Police: N.E. side death is a homicide
58-year-old woman found dead in home

Updated: Friday, 18 Sep 2009, 2:07 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 18 Sep 2009, 9:52 AM EDT

Mary McDermott
Edited by Kristen Schwartzkopf
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Metro police are on the scene of a home on the northeast side of Indianapolis where a woman was found dead Friday morning.

58-year-old Sandy Bartenbach's co-worker called police Friday morning, when the she didn?t show up to work.

When police arrived at Bartenbach's home in the 8800 block of Pine Tree Boulevard, they found the front door to the home wide open.  When officers went inside the house, they found Bartenbach dead inside.

Investigators have been on the scene since just before 9 o'clock Friday morning.  Just after 2 o'clock, officials said they were officially classifying the crime as a homicide, not a death investigation.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
Re: Unbelieveable headlines from your neck of the woods.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »
I don't understand why the school would need to inform you of this...  ???

Here's one from near me:

UCI student charged with murder in shooting of ex-wife
Shooting marks the first on-campus homicide in UCI's history. (I am dubious on this statistic - JF)
By SEAN EMERY, JON CASSIDY AND IAN HAMILTON
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

IRVINE ? A UC Irvine graduate student was charged with murder today in the fatal shooting of his ex-wife during an on-campus argument over custody of the couple's 4-year-old son.

Brian Benedict, 35, made a brief court appearance this afternoon at an arraignment in Harbor Justice Center that was continued until Oct. 2. Benedict did not enter a plea, and remains in custody on a $1 million bail.

Authorities say Brian Benedict, a U.S. Naval Academy graduate doing doctoral work in particle physics, shot Rebecca "Bekki" Benedict, 30, just before 7 p.m. in the parking lot outside the Verano graduate student apartments on Verano Place.

Police described the shooting as the first homicide at UC Irvine.

Brian and Rebecca were embroiled in a divorce case that had awarded primary custody of their son to Rebecca, and apparently would have forced Brian to drop out of school to earn money to pay child support, according to court documents.

Authorities allege that Rebecca was visiting Brian's campus apartment on Sunday night to pick up the boy when an argument turned physical.

According to the District Attorney's Office, Brian swung a hammer at Rebecca as their son watched. Prosecutors say Rebecca tried to escape from the apartment by running down an adjacent path, while Brian chased her with a firearm, shooting several times and hitting her at least once.

Prosecutors say that Brian then returned to the apartment, got his son, and tried to put the boy in a car. Witnesses and neighbors worried that Brian was going to flee the scene physically restrained him until police arrived.

Rebecca was taken to a nearby hospital, where she was later pronounced dead.

No other injuries were reported during the incident, but neighbors spoke of at least one close call.

Sara Ellis was sitting on her sofa reading when she heard a noise resembling fireworks and someone screaming, followed by a shattering sound and a fleck of something hitting her face. She discovered that a bullet from the shooting had shattered her front window, and embedded into the wall above the sofa.

"It was just three feet above my head," Ellis said.

Brian and Rebecca separated in 2006 after two and a half years of marriage. Rebecca filed for divorce on Jan. 16 of this year, and the case was decided on Thursday.

Court records indicate that Brian was distraught even before the ruling, with Judge Nancy A. Pollard referencing a recent suicide attempt.

UCI police say there weren't any reported incidents of domestic violence between the two. Brian earlier this month approached campus security officials for information about child custody issues in what police referred to as a brief discussion, UCI police said.

Brian is facing one charge of felony count of murder, along with a sentencing enhancement for the personal discharge of a firearm causing death. If convicted, he faces 50 years to life in state prison, prosecutors said.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 03:37:53 PM »
I don't understand why the school would need to inform you of this...  ???
They knew that it would be high profile so they wanted parents to know before they were inundated with questions from by-standers I suppose.

Here's one from near me:

UCI student charged with murder in shooting of ex-wife
Shooting marks the first on-campus homicide in UCI's history. (I am dubious on this statistic - JF)
Is this the area that you work Jack? Gee, I cant imagine why the Mom got custody of the son. For naffs sake.....in front of their child. This is a good political question to ask. Should the guy fry or live? I am SO on the tightrope when it comes to the death penalty.
1. How does it prove that its wrong to kill if he gets put to death
2. How much will the child suffer loosing both parents
3. What will the child gain from keeping the golly alive
4. What effect has this had on the child future in regards to respect for adults, women, firearms, etc.
And these are just the 4 I came up with while sitting here fuming over this.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:35:49 PM »
1. I really don't think any one thing will prove that we shouldn't use the death penalty...  :-\
2. Immensely.
3. Not sure on this one.
4. Only time will tell, but I doubt this will have anything beneficial for the kid.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »
I say fry him slowley in public as a warning to other would be transgressors.
 If they ware going to kill someone for murder, then make it public, barbaric, and scary.
 If they want an execution to be a messege to others, than dont do it behind closed doors.

AND,,,,, I know this will all be taken out of context.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.