Author Topic: Vampire fad  (Read 18796 times)

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
Re: Vampire fad
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 09:25:41 AM »
Romero has a book deal to do a novel called The Living Dead which is a prequel to the entire series that explains how they came about.

There are actually already two story anthologies where all of the tales are set in the Romeroverse.

Book of the Dead and the sequel Still Dead, both edited by Splatterpunk heavyweights John Skipp and Craig Spector. Romero and Savini provide a forward to each book respectively.

Most of the stories in Book of the Dead deal with the night the events begin. But the story by Stephen King tries to give background to what occurred just before the outbreak.

Other writers of note include Ramsey Campell, Phillip Nutman, Joe Lansdale, David Schow and Robert McCammon.

I can't remember which story it is or who wrote it, but there's a particularly good tale of a serial killer who takes his latest catch to his favorite killing spot on the night the dead rise - you can probably see where the story is going, eh?  ;)

Anyway, just to get back on topic - vampires are lame, and the shows they're running right now are not helping that issue.  :D

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 09:55:25 AM »

Anyway, just to get back on topic - vampires are lame, and the shows they're running right now are not helping that issue.  :D

Dead right!

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 05:50:10 PM »
Bad thing is, all the lame ones with low budgets make the good ones look bad.

They were going to make a Necroscope movie ( Brian Lumely's vampires were so original) but the entire fad killed the idea since everyone wants to romantic gothic Anne Rice bs or the Twilight emo crap.
 Even Poppy Z Bright didnt help any with her garbage.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:04:38 AM by Robin-Graves »
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 06:34:01 PM »
I liked 30 Days Of Night,it had atmosphere,the Vampires had their own dialect,well acted.
  I was in the house on my own 1st time i saw it,to be honest i was a little jittery afterward. ;D

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 07:20:21 PM »
I dont want to slam you Gee but honestly I thought that movie was a huge waste of film. Of course horror is my favorite film genre so maybe Im alittle more critical. Who knows?

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »
I like Once Bitten.
--dweez

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 10:21:40 PM »
Well, The Lost Boys is pretty cool... :-\

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 03:02:50 AM »
Not forgetting Night of the Living Dead (original), often overlooked because of its lack of gore, but creepy nonetheless.

Not sure of the lack of gore thing as that was real cow offal used for effect.  Either way it is my fav "Zombie" film.

As for the vamp stuff, I tried 3 times to watch the pilot of 'True Blood' but failed.  I thought it was so awful that even if it got better in later episodes, I still could never hold it in much regard have abandonned it completely.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 03:09:26 AM »
I dont want to slam you Gee but honestly I thought that movie was a huge waste of film. Of course horror is my favorite film genre so maybe Im alittle more critical. Who knows?

To each their own OC1. :)

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »

What it was is that it was an addaption of a commic book series.
The later issues were alot better. They did a sequel to the original graphic novel that was kinda better.
The webisodes of the prequel explained what was going on  better, and made the movie more frightening because you knew that this was just a small band of vampires that were " testing the waters" for the rest.
And you find out that they are VERY organized and have internet sites that they talk on.
The movie left some parts hanging in the wind. But im one of those wierdos that loves movie adaptions of comics. so im a little biased.
Although, the vamps in 30 Days were pretty original, they werent that gothic romantic crap thats being shoved down our throats all the time ( Twilight, Intervew and Queen of the Damned).
They had thier own language, and they werent all from the same tribe so to speak.
They were truly horrific creatures.
I keep my standards low.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 09:34:18 AM »
Speaking of vampires in comic books, my favorite has to be Cassidy from Preacher.

He acts nothing like any vampire I've encountered before or since, largely sticking to be a drunken, bare-knuckled Scot who acts like he's the biggest swinging richard in whatever place he's in.

In a special one-shot issue that centers around Cassidy, he actually meets another Vampire who is essentially Lestat, complete with all the gothic-y melodrama that makes vampires as lame as they are.

Finding this guy to be a ponce on top of the rest of it, Cassidy ends up nailing him to a roof and waiting for the sun to rise.

:D

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 09:43:16 AM »
The language sounded a little like Syrian Aramaic.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 05:01:44 PM »
Speaking of vampires in comic books, my favorite has to be Cassidy from Preacher.

He acts nothing like any vampire I've encountered before or since, largely sticking to be a drunken, bare-knuckled Scot who acts like he's the biggest swinging richard in whatever place he's in.

In a special one-shot issue that centers around Cassidy, he actually meets another Vampire who is essentially Lestat, complete with all the gothic-y melodrama that makes vampires as lame as they are.

Finding this guy to be a ponce on top of the rest of it, Cassidy ends up nailing him to a roof and waiting for the sun to rise.

:D

Cassidy was the shiznit
 I heard that they were going to make a movie based on Preacher.
As far as vamps go,, Cassidy was aboutt the best mainstream vamp ive seen in a long time.I think he displayed more humanity than most humans did at times.
 Some of the vamps in the Blade movies were cool,, but that was before vamps went mainstream. I liked the whole counter culture underground thing.
I keep my standards low.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 10:49:57 PM »
Cassidy was the shiznit

Indeed. Since I know that his creator, Garth Ennis, also despises the gothic vampire, he was designed to be a vampire-haters vampire. If that makes sense...  ;)

I heard that they were going to make a movie based on Preacher.

The last I'd heard they were trying to option it as a cable series, hopefully for HBO or Showtime. But it's still a very heavy concept,

Spoiler (hover to show)

with a lot of horrible characters that do horrendous things. And that still doesn't prepare anyone for Arseface... ;) :D So it's a tough book to translate I think.

As far as vamps go,, Cassidy was aboutt the best mainstream vamp ive seen in a long time.I think he displayed more humanity than most humans did at times.

That still didn't stop Jesse from despising him when he found out what Cassidy actually is...  :D

Some of the vamps in the Blade movies were cool,, but that was before vamps went mainstream. I liked the whole counter culture underground thing.

Those flicks have a very high Wesley Snipes factor in addition to the vampire stuff that keeps me away. And doesn't the first one have Stephen Dorff in it, too? He sucks in everything but The Gate (one of you guys has got to remember that movie ;) :D :P).

And after Lost Boys, I kinda gotta throw in Near Dark, too. It gets a little cheesy, but if for nothing else, seeing several of the crew from Aliens work together again was cool. And the scene where Bill Paxton is walking on the bar, slicing people's throats with his spurs is pretty awesome. Good times...

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 07:00:12 AM »
Bill Paxton is almost always a good scene stealer :D His lines in Aliens were great. I use 'Why don't you put her in charge?' in real life all the time :)