Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 516268 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #3705 on: August 21, 2022, 06:24:05 PM »
I used to live a couple blocks away from a St. Vincent de Paul (similar kind of resale charity shop) and we haunted that place, but that was before they started bleeding their customers.  I remember going to Goodwill when I was in high school and finding all kinds of great vintage clothes -- usually for under a buck.  None of this "buy some filthy torn jeans that might not fit you for $8.00" b.s.

I once got a really nice fountain pen set at St. Vinnies for $2.00.  It was a Parker 51 with matching pencil in a streamlined case.  I have gotten a couple of Armani jackets at Goodwill but that was many years ago.  Now, even when their clothes are half price, they're over priced.  I've seen used t-shirts that cost more than new ones at WalMart.  I just shake my head.  I rarely buy garments there, but I have found decent leather handbags once in a while.  Usually I go to get kitchen stuff, like storage jars or canning jars.  There used to be a great store, a local chain, called Thrift Town, and they were like a Goodwill superstore.  Not at all affiliated with Goodwill.  That was a super cool place and you never knew what you'd find.  They closed due to the pandemic.  I was so sad to lose it.

Good luck on your exams, smokes.  I have a feeling you will nail it on the first try.  Just try to get plenty of sleep the night before.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3706 on: August 22, 2022, 10:26:42 AM »
Good luck on your exams, smokes.  I have a feeling you will nail it on the first try.  Just try to get plenty of sleep the night before.

Thanks Six, early nights are top of the agenda. I've also shelved the booze which I think will help even more.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #3707 on: August 22, 2022, 01:03:53 PM »
You got this, smokester!
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3708 on: August 22, 2022, 08:15:04 PM »
I've compressed a bunch of my stuff into half the space following a shockingly simple youtube video from a self-storage company.
In the video, they talk about how people stuff boxes and bins full, and how that actually results in less useful space.
For instance, with a standard book box (also called media) if you take your cd's (or DVD's) and make two rows, and just line those rows, you'll fit more into the box than just jamming stuff in. Then you stack the second layer on top of the first.
I followed this guide and felt like a magician, while also feeling like I'm full of bbq sauce and dumb as hell.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3709 on: August 22, 2022, 11:49:43 PM »
Thanks Six, early nights are top of the agenda. I've also shelved the booze which I think will help even more.
you will be fine. 👍👍

I've compressed a bunch of my stuff into half the space following a shockingly simple youtube video from a self-storage company.
In the video, they talk about how people stuff boxes and bins full, and how that actually results in less useful space.
For instance, with a standard book box (also called media) if you take your cd's (or DVD's) and make two rows, and just line those rows, you'll fit more into the box than just jamming stuff in. Then you stack the second layer on top of the first.
I followed this guide and felt like a magician, while also feeling like I'm full of bbq sauce and dumb as hell.

neat and tidy

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3710 on: August 23, 2022, 12:55:28 AM »
Stuck a Bluetooth speaker under mom's bed as a low difficulty "fix" for the "explosions loud, conversations quiet" issue.
She loves it, and that soundbar was just sitting in a closet.

Kind of sad I didn't do it sooner; it made her super happy.

The one downside is the TV remote no longer controls volume; she has to press the bar.

Not sure how to get around that one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3711 on: August 24, 2022, 03:25:11 PM »
So far, so good. I have a full day of practical assessment but out of the 9 tests I had to sit today and Friday, I waded through 7 and a half of them in one day. Just a test and a half on Friday which means I might have an early day.

Now I've said that ....

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3712 on: August 24, 2022, 04:10:07 PM »
Went down to the post office to get my new to me keyboard and the box was utterly fsked. Smashed, wet, I was fairly sure I was destined to an ebay claim.

Also had a weird feeling the cable wouldn't be in there, because it wasn't mentioned in the description.

I was wrong, wrong, wrong on all counts.
Dude double wrapped and bubble wrapped. That thing was essentially shielded.
 The cord was in the box and is immaculate. The keyboard was described as used/store model, so I expected some scuffs, and it looks brand new. The only things I didn't get were the dumb driver disk and product catalog (The manual can be had on the website) (synapse is garbage)

The only weird thing in the whole setup is the pause and scroll lock keys had been swapped. Since it's a floating mech keyboard, I was able to resolve that just by popping off the keycaps and putting them back where they live.
https://www.keyboardtester.com/ was a fun little diversion, I set the sound to "Josh"

The only possible complaint is that this keyboard (BlackWidow Lite) uses the same stabilizers as my previous keyboard (BlackWidow)
I had considered the huntsman tournament, but I don't like RGB.

For once, I am a happy camper.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3713 on: August 24, 2022, 06:09:32 PM »
So far, so good. I have a full day of practical assessment but out of the 9 tests I had to sit today and Friday, I waded through 7 and a half of them in one day. Just a test and a half on Friday which means I might have an early day.

Now I've said that ....

Keeping fingers crossed that you continue to sail through these trials unscathed and, ultimately, successful!

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3714 on: August 25, 2022, 08:35:26 AM »
In less than 12 hrs I will be off on my holiday to Sorrento with the Mrs of course to celebrate our 30th wedding and her 22nd birthday ( Of course she isn't 22,but she cannot be 21 again  ;) ).
Finish work at midnight, home collect the wife and car and airport here we come.
Just hope I can stay awake till I get on the plane.
First holiday abroad 5 years I think. 8)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3715 on: August 25, 2022, 10:28:10 AM »
Safe travels!  And have fun!

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3716 on: August 25, 2022, 03:51:20 PM »
Keeping fingers crossed that you continue to sail through these trials unscathed and, ultimately, successful!

Think it's working, six. I'm currently the top kid in the class. I was the second but the first did so well that he finsihed today so I get his crown.

Once all these distractions are out of the way, you can get back to finishing that website of yours.

Truth is, I hardly need it as I am always ridiculously busy. And it's getting worse ...

In less than 12 hrs I will be off on my holiday to Sorrento with the Mrs of course to celebrate our 30th wedding and her 22nd birthday ( Of course she isn't 22,but she cannot be 21 again  ;) ).
Finish work at midnight, home collect the wife and car and airport here we come.
Just hope I can stay awake till I get on the plane.
First holiday abroad 5 years I think. 8)

My missus was there a couple of months ago but she went with a friend and left me behind. Wish she'd do it again, to be honest ...

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3717 on: August 25, 2022, 06:21:47 PM »
My missus was there a couple of months ago but she went with a friend and left me behind. Wish she'd do it again, to be honest ...
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
tic tok

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3718 on: August 26, 2022, 12:25:27 AM »
Cleared another box 100%, and mom's PB G4 still boots. The super drive is borked, and the teardown to get the super drive out is 54 steps long and rated as export.

I keep my MBP for the same reason, they're essentially burial shrouds for their hard drives.

I've never been good with notebook ribbon cables, I believe I've mentioned losing a hold down peg on my playstation portable several years back.
I still wonder if a keyboard swap would get the MBP back up and running. It would essentially be a stupid pet trick at this point, I think it's got vista on it.

I HAD retained the boxes for both, but they went missing when I was in NJ. So the PB got a "New" box. The MBP still rests in the inCase backpack I stupidly overpaid for back then.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3719 on: August 26, 2022, 11:49:24 AM »
I am drinking tea after consuming a less than delicious experimental carrot muffin I made from a recipe on the internet.  Oh well.  I won't try that again.

I have several of those Burial Shrouds for Hard Drives in my garage.  The thing is that the longer you hold on to them, the less likely they will be able to transfer their data to any machine currently in use that can read them.  It's been years since I tried to insert a floppy disc into my powerbook 100?  The one with the trackball.  I should pull it out again and see what files are on it.  It's the oldest machine I have and it STILL WORKS.

A friend of mine had a sister (now deceased from cancer) who was an early digital artist and there are cds with her work on them.  I used to be able to open them on my G4 powerbook but that joined the land of BSfHDs several years ago.  My current computers don't have disc drives, and the one optical drive I have that is a USB plug in may or may not work with the current machines, since the operating software for the externals may no longer be compatible with the OS of the iMac or the MBP I have sitting around for daily use.  Some days it's better just to have stuff printed out on paper as it's more likely to endure than the ephemeral digital formats.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 11:51:55 AM by 6pairsofshoes »