Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 18030 times)

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
Re: Avatar
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »
I've seen Class Of Nuke Em High when i was 17 i think. :D

What? ???

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 08:17:54 PM »
You ought to see part two,, just got it burned to disc
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 07:26:57 AM »
Pssst, guys, this thread is about Avatar...keep it on topic.  :)
--dweez

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 08:02:50 AM »
Sorry,, thanks Dweez.
Avatar is cool,, Just got it downloaded, looks like a decent copy.
I keep my standards low.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »
What I find funny is all the articles I've come across lately how conservatives despise the messages in the movie.

Some have even gone as far as to say that human compassion and environmentalism were only ideas that are supported in the dreamworld of Hollywood. As if those ideas were just special effects and didn't or couldn't exist in real life.

But ultimately it whittles down to the fact that the movie is a pretty heavy indictment of corporate imperialism and the new 'colonialism', which are conservative 'pet' ideologies.

Some even tried to imply that Cameron just added that anti-corporate stance to the film because it's a popular angle to be anti-corporate right now. But if you look back through Cameron's body of work, it's usually a corporation that is partially or fully to blame: Cyberdyne (Terminator), Weyland-Yutani (Aliens), Benthic Petrolium (The Abyss), White Star Line (Titanic).

So the RDA being the bad guy in Avatar is not a new concept.

If you google "conservatives hate the message in avatar" you'll find some more results.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »
If you google "conservatives hate the message in avatar" you'll find some more results.

I did this on your recommendation and your description
Some have even gone as far as to say that human compassion and environmentalism were only ideas that are supported in the dreamworld of Hollywood. As if those ideas were just special effects and didn't or couldn't exist in real life.
is right on the money!!! Nicely put. I was watching Colbert last night and he had Erick Erickson of "The Red State" on and I thought there would be some classic examples of this there. Checked it out and "bingo".

I am having genuine issues with trying to wrap my brain around this whole thing......

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »
Call me crazy, but I often just see a movie and try and enjoy it.

* dweez shrugs
--dweez

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »
QFT!
I keep my standards low.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 01:30:18 AM »
wow
and i just went to this movie for the enjoyment of the film. :-\

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 11:41:43 AM »
Call me crazy, but I often just see a movie and try and enjoy it.

* dweez shrugs
QFT!
wow
and i just went to this movie for the enjoyment of the film. :-\

I fully understand what you're saying - I deliberately avoided looking at anything for Avatar before seeing the film so nothing could influence my opinion or ruin the movie before I could see it and just let it happen. My first viewing was pure enjoyment.

But even after that, I couldn't help but notice that there are ideas and viewpoints in the movie that were going to push some sociopolitical buttons.

However, I had no idea how much conservative pundits would lose their minds over the thing.

Another angle they don't like is when the audience cheers the NA'vi killing humans. They find profound disgust with what they feel is Cameron's blatant disrespect to US soldiers.

But the military in Avatar are actually private contractors (i.e., mercenaries) and not the US military, and the RDA is a corporation, not the US government. So that makes them the equivalent of Blackwater running security for Halliburton.

So, of course, it never seems to dawn on these pundits that the RDA is just flat-out wrong to try and take Pandoran resources by force. They have no right to be there, they have no right to the stupidly-named unobtanium, and they certainly don't have the right to kill anyone in an attempt to take what isn't theirs.

The audience sees it very plainly, but conservative pundits are on their guard because they've been apologising for similar, real-life behavior in Iraq and Afghanistan (which are only the most recent examples of American 'colonialism', but that's a whole other issue) for nearly 10 years now.

So conservatives can't 'just enjoy the movie' - they have to resist everything its telling them.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:44:23 AM by JackFrost »

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 12:06:25 PM »
But the military in Avatar are actually private contractors (i.e., mercenaries) and not the US military, and the RDA is a corporation, not the US government. So that makes them the equivalent of Blackwater running security for Halliburton.

Of everything "intentional" that Cameron supposedly did through out this movie I would believe that making RDA non-US military was actually a preconcieved idea. And a respectable one at that. That said, when I watched it I immediately thought "US military" until you-know-who pointed out the contrary. And Im glad to have that point made. Changes things a bit.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 01:25:29 AM »
what ever happened to just watching a movie for the sake of enjoyment.

some people must be feeling a little guilty if this is what they perceive the movie is all about

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 07:33:21 AM »
First gays protesting because there were no gay acotrs or characters,, then conservatives pitching a fit because they feel guilty for crap theyve done.
What next? PETA throwing a fit, Greenpeace going nuts and protesting with a boat? The Montana Baptist Association and Hocky League going crazy because there wasnt enough bibles?
 Anything for some poor fool to get his name in the papers.
Next theyll pull the same crap they did with The Golden Compass saying its anti Christian.
 ITS A MOVIE FOLKS!!!!  GET OVER YOURSELF AND GET DOWN OFF THE FRIGGIN CROSS!!!
I keep my standards low.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 03:34:24 PM »

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 05:39:34 PM »
There is a better world than this out there...

There has to be.

Its what you make it my friend. We all have the ability to make it better one life at a time. But again.....who's the optimist here.