Author Topic: France's Latest Plan: Tax Google, Microsoft And Yahoo To Fund Record Labels  (Read 4606 times)

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
If you thought France had already gone off the deep end with its plan to kick file sharers off the internet, now comes the news of a government report that suggests a new plan: tax successful big internet companies, like Google, Yahoo and Microsoft and use that money to fund the "music and publishing" sectors (which basically means the record labels). We've been pointing out how all of these attempts to bolster copyright laws have really been about propping up businesses that haven't been able to adapt, but is there any more blatant example of this than taxing the companies that have figured out how to use the internet to fund those that haven't?? This is entitlement culture in the extreme.

Apparently Nicolas Sarkozy will get "the last word" on whether or not to adopt this policy, which means that it's pretty likely. Sarkozy -- who has a long history of copyright infringement by his own party -- seems to believe that stronger copyright means defending French culture, when it really just means handouts to a few failing businesses who haven't wanted to adapt.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100107/1045017658.shtml

A report financed by the French government recommends that Google, MSN, Yahoo, and other big advertising companies--as well as Internet service providers--be taxed, with the revenue set to help fund the music and publishing sectors.

Google is "profiting without any consideration" for music artists and book publishers, according to the report, written by Jacque Toubon, France's former minister of culture, Patrick Zelnick, a former music executive who produced French First Lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy's songs, and Guillaume Cerutti, an executive at Sotheby's France.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-10428434-261.html

Frogs Emperor and his staff are ready to asylum.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
Sounds like something France would think of.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
golly that idea.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
Another dumb idea; America wants to tax every email 10 to 25 cents since no one uses the regular US mail service as much as they did and they have a hard time paying thier employees the usual 12 to 18 dollars an hour for sitting in an air conditioned office all day.
I keep my standards low.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
I'm familiar with that chain email, I do not remember it ever being real robin.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
It's been talked about for a while.
I remember seeing it on CNN a couple years back.
Kinda had me worried because alot of my business is done via email.
Although it would be a tax deduction,, well, until this year.
I keep my standards low.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
This is entitlement culture in the extreme.

Yes, Entitilitus is a silent killer and something must be done to help these poor afflicted souls.  ::)

But you're right laama this is a pretty blatant attempt to put taxpayer money into the hands of private corporations.

But poo, the French are only following America's lead on that particular situation.

And anyway, do they really think people are illegally downloading Carla Sarkozy's songs? Get bless'ed real!  :D

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
Who is Carla Sarkozy?
And why would I want to download her songs?
WHy make me pay because she has a problem with her music getting to the masses?
 Truth of the matter is  that many artists didnt make money off their album sales even BEFORE downloading started.
 Many artists ( Dokken, Megadeth, Slayer, etc.) are jazzed people are downloading thier music.
 Most artists make thier money off of conerts, appearances and merchendising,, not album sales.
The only people being hurt are the record companies, and if they werent so damn greedy, maybe they wouldnt have a problem.
 Close freinds of mine, HBV, only get 30 percent of the money they earn from appearances, none from record sales, and only 60 percent from merchendising sales due to the record companies standard policies.
 So they cant say that downloaders hurt their profots from sales.
 And their contract is the standard from Warner Brothers.
I keep my standards low.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior

And anyway, do they really think people are illegally downloading Carla Sarkozy's songs? Get bless'ed real!  :D
:D :D

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
I know when the whole Napster thing was happening here in the US it was artists who never sold anyting that got mad.
It was people like Patti Labelle, and Metalica, whos last album at the time sucked so hard people quit buying anything they did.
All these people were selling zero albums even before Napster happened.
 They needed an excuse why they werent doing to well,, and didnt want to put the blame on where it belonged,,, themselves.
I keep my standards low.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Carla Sarkozy she's not too bad.
i wouldn't pay for her though ( music that is )

france france france , beautiful country ,beautiful wine,beautiful food,
**cked up politics.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
Thats a DeGaulist society for you.
I keep my standards low.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior

france france france , beautiful country ,beautiful wine,beautiful food,
**cked up politics.
Frogs promised country.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
You know,, in all my travels,,( and they have been extensive over the years) the onnly societies ive met that were rude were Americans and the French.
Americans ,,ell,, im an American so I know how we are, and the French think they are the pinacle of civilization and hate us because America is a super power and the French believe they "deserve" to have a turn at it.
Ever since they refused for freindly forces to fly over thier airspace during the battle for Quate, ive lost respect for them.
It was a slap in the face when they decided to "allow" UN forces a handfull of their millitary to help rid Quate of the Iraqi occupation.
 While in AMsterdam this last time,, a couple from France decided to be condescending to me for being " Just an American".
I have a low opinion of them,, and I concider myself a very tolorant person.
 Ok,, so an artist from there gets pirated,, good,, they ought to be glad someone listens to her.
 It seems they arent too concerned with everyone else till one of thiers gets a few numbers below a quota of album sales .
I keep my standards low.