Author Topic: Terrorist-o-meter goes up!  (Read 12123 times)

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
Terrorist-o-meter goes up!
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:22:46 AM »
BBC Breakfast says that the terror alert levels have gone up to SEVERE!  A terrorist attack in the Uk is now considered HIGHLY LIKELY!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGH!!!

Here's some links I found using Google:
http://news.google.co.uk/news/more?um=1&cf=all&ned=uk&cf=all&ncl=d8tG0sDq2u_HHpM0hqGgcynYW_50M
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/british-terror-alert-raised-to-severe-2028456.html

I'm not sure how this affects me, should I be worried about boarding trains?  I'm going to be taking a long train journey on Sunday, so I hope it doesn't affect me.  It's not critical, so I should be OK, we have tons of trains in this country.

Do you people take this seriously?  In other countries that use the special terrorist-o-meter system, do you take it seriously?  DO you find yourself becoming more suspicious as a result?

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Terrorist-o-meter goes up!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 05:04:03 AM »
Your in or near the capital aren't you? 

When they up the alert level I am concerned but try not to let it make me paranoid.  However, I do do things that I believe, rightly or wrongly, might give me some added protection.  For example, when travelling on national rail trains I always get in the last carriage in the belief that a bomb would have to be placed towards the front of the train to have the desired effect. Also, if I have to go a few stops on the underground, I opt rather to take the bus which might put 5 or 10 minutes on the journey - but I have only done that when they have stationed armed police at every underground entrance.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »
Looks like they want more money and rights to do what they want.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:12:13 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

I'm pretty certain I'll not die in a train, my Centauri instincts tell me so.  Although, I may just sit in the last carriage of the train tomorrow, just in case ;D

I suppose you can't help take precautions.  And I suppose the terrorists are less likely to terrorise if everyone is more alert.

Looks like they want more money and rights to do what they want.
Yeah, they don't make it sound so bad here:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8476238.stm

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 08:15:04 PM »
Shitty politics again,they should send in court and then jail in lifetime.

They want money and power more and more,and prize could be horrible.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 06:02:42 AM »
I suppose you can't help take precautions.  And I suppose the terrorists are less likely to terrorise if everyone is more alert.

And you can't stress out, and ruin each day either. You just have to live life and not worry. You could choke eating curry chicken also, and die before help gets there ::) We still have to embrace each day, and be happy and bold each day. That's part of what terrorists want to achieve..taking peace away, and instilling fear and chaos even when they're doing nothing.

In the US they've really down played the 'threat level' thing the past couple of years.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 06:21:59 AM »
Although, I may just sit in the last carriage of the train tomorrow, just in case ;D

When you're sitting in that last carriage, have a look at all the worried faces of everyone in there. They're probably all in the last carriage for the same reason.

Terrorist threats don't impact on my life at all. The area of Liverpool I live in, there's nothing newsworthy to blow up (somehow I don't think the local Co-Op or the Dog & Gun post office would have the same impact as Tower Bridge or Heathrow airport) and besides, I've a feeling nobody here would notice an explosion anyway - not unless it was the betting shop that bit the dust.  :)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 08:31:03 AM »
When you're sitting in that last carriage, have a look at all the worried faces of everyone in there. They're probably all in the last carriage for the same reason.

Terrorist threats don't impact on my life at all. The area of Liverpool I live in, there's nothing newsworthy to blow up (somehow I don't think the local Co-Op or the Dog & Gun post office would have the same impact as Tower Bridge or Heathrow airport) and besides, I've a feeling nobody here would notice an explosion anyway - not unless it was the betting shop that bit the dust.  :)

Funny thing is that in certain parts of the country that are a lot less cosmopolitan than Liverpool, they have made counter-terrorism part of their life after the IRA had threatened or bombed them.  I was in Birmingham in the early 90s and I couldn't find a pub (believe it of not).  All I could find was these rather secretive looking bars that had suited security on the doors.  After myself and 3 other tradesmen (we were there for the Interbuild exibition) got completely fed up we approached the doormen to see if we could get inside even though we were in overalls.  It turned out that these places were indeed your run of the mill pubs but ever since the "Birmingham bombings" all pubs had installed security and had obscured their entrances somewhat as a precaution - and that had occured almost 20 years previous.

I was also unfortunately in Manchester about a month after this and that must have been too close for comfort?

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
The Manchester bombing was geographically close, but I don't think anyone in Liverpool seriously felt threatened by an IRA bombing with the huge Irish community in the city.

I worked in a shopping centre at the time of 9/11 and the 7/7 London bombings, and small precautionary measures were put in place after major events like those, such as "being extra vigilant" for suspicious looking packages and removing all public bins from the floors of the centre (so bombs couldn't be slipped into them), but these are only in place for about 2 or 3 days then everything is back to normal. I've not met anyone from here who seriously thinks Liverpool is a viable terrorist target.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 09:40:14 AM »

I worked in a shopping centre at the time of 9/11 and the 7/7 London bombings.

I actually worked for John Lewis for 9 years in Brent Cross shopping center.  We had supposedly legitimate warnings all the time and the staff there had to search each department systematically along with a team of volunteers to cover other areas.  It was quite a frightening procedure but the worst of all was searching the Luggage department as you had to search each and every case, bag, portmanteau etc, and it took the fella who had that responsibility hours to calm down after he had finished.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 12:50:28 PM »
and it took the fella who had that responsibility hours to calm down after he had finished.

:(

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 01:26:40 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i don't take all the warning too much to heart.
don't take me wrong its bad ,but if a bomb go's off next / near me then bingo i'm off to who knows where.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »
And privacy meter goes down permanently.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 01:24:59 PM »
^ Welcome to America.
 I got back yesterday from accross the pond ( I love it there more and more) and airport security in Glasgow was NUTS!
 Amsterdam wasnt as bad going ,,but comming back it was insane.
 Glasgow detained me ( again) for only an hour this time, and decided to run everything I had with me through security one piece at a time.
 Oh well, atleast I didnt have to take my shoes off like we do here in the U.S.
 But it was still a pain in the arse.

BTW,, It was cold and foggy there when it wasnt cold and raining/sleeting.
God I loved it!
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 01:29:29 PM »
you soon get fed up of the greyness / rain  ;)
but you get to love the season change