Author Topic: Wanting to get a dvd burner  (Read 5024 times)

Offline nouseforaname

• Neandertal
  • We all pace at our own lengths.
Wanting to get a dvd burner
« on: February 10, 2010, 02:07:32 AM »
I asked for opinions on videohelp and one person mentioned to get the new Sony Optiarc since it has the NEC chipset. Here's the model the member told me to get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030&cm_re=sony_optiarc-_-27-118-030-_-Product

I have no issues with getting it at all as long as it's NEC though if anyone wants to mention another burner here, go for it.

My question is that because it's OEM, that means I'd have to get my own SATA cable. Also, it doesn't come with any software. I have a legal version of Nero 7. Will ANY burning program work with this? I know, it's so stupid to ask but I remember one time this old burner worked with one specific program over another. Plus I'm used to Nero and I already have it.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Wanting to get a dvd burner
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:40:09 AM »
I have 3 burners: a Phillips, LG and I can't remember the other one's brand and Nero profiled them all correctly and works fine with them.  The only consideration I have ever had when buying a new burner was price, and the one you have listed is nearly exactly the same price I have paid for each of mine. 
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline nouseforaname

• Neandertal
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:56:01 PM »
Ah, yes. I used to have a Pioneer DVR-111D. It was the first and only burner I've owned other than the one in my laptop which is NEC. That Pioneer was the best. It cost me almost double the one I posted and there were cheaper ones than that. I didn't know anything about burners at all back then either but I'm glad I do now. But that's good to know Nero will work with any burner. I just have to wait this one out for a while. Hope it works in my pc since it has those doors that fold out.

Never installed a burner into a tower like this so button placement might matter but I'm probably wrong.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »
The buttons are usually in the same place for most drives, so you should be OK.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline nouseforaname

• Neandertal
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
I just bought the Sony Optiarc from Newegg. It's on sale for $23.99 free shipping. I included a 1-year warranty since you never know. I just wanted to know something. I'm not familiar with sata at all. The drive is OEM so nothing comes with it. Are there different types of sata cables that do different jobs or are they all the same (aside from angles and such). I went on ebay and saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220541223961&ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT

Will this work fine?

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:38:57 PM »
Last year I bought a new laptop with Vista. After a few weeks i decided to lose Vista and install XP pro. Then came a message I never seen before "can not find hard drive" To cut it short after a long time scratching my head it needed SATA drivers I knew nothing about that side never even heard of SATA!! Anyhow found the right sata drivers for the laptop then to learn how to slip stream my copy of XP to include the new drivers and all is fine after that. All I can say is SATA is a very dirty word to me.

OoPs sorry about that it was more of a rant than a post.... but feel better now ;)

Offline nouseforaname

• Neandertal
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 01:28:56 PM »
So uh, will that cable work for me? lol

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 04:48:50 AM »
So uh, will that cable work for me? lol

I don't think there is much difference with SATA 'data' cables although the power types are different I think.  A standard SATA cable like you posted should be fine for what you want but my personal setup is SATA connections for my HDDs and ATAPI (IDE) for my optical drives.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline nouseforaname

• Neandertal
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »
Well when I ordered my dvd drive yesterday I realized that it doesn't come with the sata cable so I'm just going to get one from Tiger Direct when it comes in the mail.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4655877&CatId=84

Online dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 10:06:43 AM »
Standard SATA cable should be fine.

AlienBC, you're gonna have to get used to SATA as they are the new "norm".  Also, I believe the SATA drivers for XP were part of SP3 so if you had a slipstream copy of that, you'd be good instead of having to slipstream just the drivers in.
--dweez

Offline nouseforaname

• Neandertal
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 11:11:27 AM »
I got the Sony Optiarc the other day and replaced my current dvd rom with that since I haven't gotten that cable in the mail yet. Thing works great. Tray is cheap feeling and looking like a dvd case but it burned faster than my old burner.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 11:24:37 AM »
my new pc came sata everthing  :o
scared the hell outa me but all loaded ok and found the sata hdd and dvd burner with no problem.

had to put a ide hdd as well  though as it had all my info on.
i run xp pro sp3 and you just plug the new cable in the back of the burner to the m/board and all ok