Author Topic: Jack Frost's Top 20 Comics/Graphic Novels of the Naughts  (Read 20717 times)

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
Re: Jack Frost's Top 20 Comics/Graphic Novels of the Naughts
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 07:23:52 PM »
So I realized that I've confused Dave Mazzucchelli with Dave McKean when citing Cages as an example of poor work. Although I do have several indie things by Mazzucchelli, and they're all right...

So I will be picking up a copy of Asterios Polyp next week to give it a go...

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 05:12:15 PM »
Well, you were right jackalope, Asterios Polyp was pretty damned cool.

I still don't know if I'd have included it in my list, but it was very good. Much better than I remember Mazzucchelli being in the past.

Thanks for the recommendation...

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »

I still don't know if I'd have included it in my list, but it was very good. Much better than I remember Mazzucchelli being in the past.

I was going back and forth between that, and Jonah Hex ..then I got incredibly bogged down in life... and haven't had spare time. Which sucks :-\

Unless someone can convince me that Unwritten gets loads better (or branches off a different way).. I bailed on it fairly early. The HP parody/references were just too distracting. I couldn't separate myself enough to immerse myself in it.

Offline jackalope21

• Homo Superior
  • Stalking Kristen Bell
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »

i figured you would like it.....it is one of those things that the smarter you are, the more you get out of it....like South Park :)

I was going back and forth between that, and Jonah Hex ..then I got incredibly bogged down in life... and haven't had spare time. Which sucks :-\

Unless someone can convince me that Unwritten gets loads better (or branches off a different way).. I bailed on it fairly early. The HP parody/references were just too distracting. I couldn't separate myself enough to immerse myself in it.

How far did you get?  If you made it past the first trade, and still don't like it, you wont like the rest.......i don't see it as a HP parody, any more than HP is a Books of Magic parody
"Misa Misa"

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 08:04:37 AM »
.i don't see it as a HP parody, any more than HP is a Books of Magic parody

I probably worded that wrong.. I can't put exactly into words any better then saying I can't get into the groove of it. Something about the way it's written.. the content is distracting to me, instead of it drawing me in. I might skip forward and see how it progresses.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 09:39:20 AM »
Read Unwritten issue 12, it was fantastic...

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 10:24:46 AM »
I must need to skip forward (or speed read) a few issues with a couple of these.. then backtrack :P

Offline CMF

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
I got recently into comics and I am lost (I have actually been saying that for the past few years, but now I am totally going to stay in reading them).
Your suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks  ;D

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 02:29:52 PM »
I got recently into comics and I am lost (I have actually been saying that for the past few years, but now I am totally going to stay in reading them).
Your suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks  ;D

Well, what kinds of stuff do you like?

Have you read anything that kept your interest?

Essentially, the scope of comics is actually pretty wide despite the fact that normally everyone runs under the misconception that they're all just dudes in tights knocking the crap out of each other.

I have a lot of interests in a multiple genres in comics, but I have unusual tastes as well, so I'm not sure where to steer you unless I get some guidelines from you.  ;)

Regardless, I really think you should try #s 1 & 2 on my list here. If you don't like either The Sword or Y: The Last Man I might not be your best source for recommendations...  ;) :D

Offline CMF

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 10:14:33 PM »
I actually bought Sword #1 fro 1$ on Montreal ComicCon, but I haven't got the time yet to open it.
As for Y: The Last Man, my friend got it for his literature class, yes he has a literature class on graphic novels, the lucky scallywag. Anywho, I can borrow it from him.
Or could find it somewhere else, of course, ahem....

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 04:47:25 AM »
The only problem I found with "getting it somewhere else" is you can snuggle in bed and read it. I am a firm believer in paper copies of reading materials. I dont know why exactly, I just am.

Offline jackalope21

• Homo Superior
  • Stalking Kristen Bell
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 06:51:08 AM »
The only problem I found with "getting it somewhere else" is you can snuggle in bed and read it. I am a firm believer in paper copies of reading materials. I dont know why exactly, I just am.

isn't it called old fashioned?
"Misa Misa"

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 09:34:04 AM »
I actually bought Sword #1 fro 1$ on Montreal ComicCon, but I haven't got the time yet to open it.
As for Y: The Last Man, my friend got it for his literature class, yes he has a literature class on graphic novels, the lucky scallywag. Anywho, I can borrow it from him.
Or could find it somewhere else, of course, ahem....

If you read The Sword #1 and don't want tread the rest of the series, I'll be surprised.

As far as getting to read comics in class, at the university where I work, there's a least one professor that uses graphic novels in his classes because the store I frequent across the street stocks them for the students. :)

While I completely agree, sometimes one's budget doesn't allow for this luxury. :(

isn't it called old fashioned?

Sometimes the old ways are still the best. :)