Author Topic: Sandman TV series??  (Read 5674 times)

Offline jackalope21

• Homo Superior
  • Stalking Kristen Bell
Sandman TV series??
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:29:52 PM »

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

?The Sandman,? the Neil Gaiman-penned comic book series considered a seminal work in the medium, is in the early stages of being developed into a TV series.

Warner Bros. TV is in the midst of acquiring television rights from sister company DC Entertainment and is in talks with several writer-producers about adapting the 1990s series. At the top of the list is Eric Kripke, creator of the CW?s horror-tinged ?Supernatural.?

?Sandman? told the tale of Morpheus, the Lord of the Dreaming, a deity who personifies dreams. The book began in the horror realm but quickly made its mark in fantasy and mythology as Gaiman introduced the Endless, a group of powerful brothers and sisters that includes Destiny, Death, Destruction, Despair, Desire and Delirium (as well as Dream).

The book helped establish DC?s Vertigo imprint and won several awards. It also was one of the few comics that segued from the comics crowd, entering the intellectual and art worlds and winning over a large non-comics-reading audience, particularly via a devoted female following.

A movie version of ?Sandman? had been in development since the mid-?90s, with an early version involving Roger Avary. That cooled earlier in the decade, with the thinking that to the best way to tackle an adaptation is the TV route. At one point DC was in talks with HBO and James Mangold to develop a show without WBTV?s involvement, but that never coalesced.

Gaiman was not officially involved with the HBO attempt, though he and Mangold held several rounds of talks surrounding characters and story. The author is not involved in the latest development, though because it is early in the process, that could change.

Kripke has been described as interested in tackling an adaptation but cautious because the comic book has such a passionate following and is held in such high regard. It?s the kind of series where each production decision, from casting to script to design, would be scrutinized by devotees.

Still, Kripke managed to create and sustain ?Supernatural,? which week in and week out deals with fantasy, mythological and horror elements. He also displayed a certain amount of creative integrity when he stuck to his guns by not returning as showrunner when the network renewed the series for a sixth season after he completed a planned five-season story line.

WBTV and WME, which reps Kripke, declined to comment.
"Misa Misa"

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: Sandman TV series??
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 11:13:12 PM »
OOOOOOhhhhhh, the DC Sandman.  Now it makes sense.
--dweez

Offline CMF

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:59:12 PM »
featuring Shia Laboeuf in the role of Morpheus...

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:45:46 AM »
Like Watchmen, I feel that Sandman is meant to be experienced as a comic book and really doesn't lend itself well to other mediums.

But bottom line, I don't trust anyone in Hollywood to do the series justice.

Hell, I even remember one point when one of the movie scripts had an excerpt released and actually contained the line "Those who know fear will tremble before the guns of the Sandman!".

Whoever had written the script had seriously confused the character with The Crow.

They should've tried Y: The Last Man as a TV show - that book would make and excellent weekly series! But nooooo, they've gotta do movies which will probably suck...

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »
On a different vibe .. I read to day that they're doing a new Wonder Woman for TV.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »
featuring Shia Laboeuf in the role of Morpheus...

^ I'd actually heard that rumor for real about him... but, I assumed he was going to play Sexton, or, that it was just a rumor spread by someone who wanted him to play Sexton. Neil Gaiman was supposedly working on a movie based just on 'Death the High Cost of Living'.