Author Topic: Your favourite savoury recipes, with or without your own twist.  (Read 5095 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Your favourite savoury recipes, with or without your own twist.
« on: January 14, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »
I'm sure everyone here has their own favourite savoury things they cook, so let's hear what they are and how you have made them your own. When we have enough we can maybe start our own Diasfora Cookbook that can be printed at home - so we may need pictures in the future.

I'll start with one of my favourite pasta dishes that is easy to cook and fairly quick (quicker if you have some of the stuff premade).

It is Tagliatelle ai porcini e pomodorini but I also use courgettes to add a couple of different colours and another texture.

Ingredients:

* 3 cloves of Garlic
    * Dried Porcini (30gm at least but I like to add 10gm per serving)
    * Courgettes (one large per 4 servings)
    * Chopped/skinned tomatoes or passata (about 6 good ones or a tin of ready chopped)
    * 80gm of Tagliatelle per serving
    * small glass of good White wine
    * Pomodorini or cherry tomatoes
    * Olive oil
    * Parmigiano

Preparation:

Add the Porcini to warm water (enough to cover) and leave them to steep.

Add the chopped and skinned tomatoes to a pan then bring to the boil and then leave to simmer. This is going to take about 30 minutes to be right so leave them for 10 minutes before starting the next bit.  You can chop or press some garling and cut the courgettes into thing strips whikle you wait

Bring pasta water to a boil, lightly salt it but don't add the pasta just yet.

Add the garlic to some hot olive oil (not too hot or you'll burn it) and cook for a few seconds.  Add the pomodorini and the courgettes and make sure it is all coated with oil and cook for about 2 minutes.  When the skin of the tomatoes is starting to split, bring the heat up, add the wine and tilt into the flame to flamb?e everything.  You should season at this point and I sometimes add some dried oregano but it is not entirely necessary. Now add the mushrooms and add the water they were steeped in.

Put the Tagliatelle on now and you are aiming to cook it for about 90 seconds less than the lower recommended cooking time.

Take the tomato reduction off the heat now and add to the sauce. You may need a little stock here to thin your sauce and I usually have some around or use a good quality instant veg bouillon that I can make to order.

Your pasta should be about there by now so take it off and drain and then quickly add to the sauce cook for the last minute or so.

Serve immediately with a drizzle of olive oil and a generous heap of parmigiana, and as I'm British, I usually have some warm bread with it as I can't get enough carbs :)

This is basically something I have made my own from another recipe I was taught and I'm sorry if there are any Italians that read this and are offended (they are so touchy about their food), however, I promise it tastes magnifico!

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Your favourite savoury recipes, with or without your own twist.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:09:56 AM »
well i am partial to sandwiches . i could live on sandwiches actually
as a ex baker i adore quality bread.
even cheap bread for the bacon sandwich  ;D

cheese and onion is a favourite.
B L T is lovely
plain crisp sandwich
mint sauce with cheese
mustard ( must be Coleman's  English ) , cheese , lettuce , tomato , previous day chicken / turkey .
for a real treat and when the wife isn't around ( dont tell her ) blue Stilton cheese in a toasted sandwich.
boy it smells but it changes the taste of Stilton and is to die for.

notice i use cheese a lot  ;D ;D :D :D

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »
Dehydrated Tomatoes

This is a simple way to preserve tomatoes when they're available in summer or even when the tomatoes aren't that tasty in winter and you still want to eat tomatoes this makes them taste better.

Cut the tomatoes in half and put them over the oven grill grid. Put salt and a little sugar on them. Turn on the oven in minimum and leave the door a little open (much like when you cook meringues). Now you want to know how long it's going to take. Well it depends on how hot is your oven in minimum and the size of the tomatoes, etc. It takes a minimum of 6 hours, sometimes 8 hours.
Then you wait for them to cool down and put them in glass jars. Add whatever type of oil you like till you cover them. I use corn oil or sunflower oil because I found that olive oil kills all the flavors you'll add next. Geez, all my ancestors are rolling in their graves because I said that!  :D Anyway now the flavors. My choice: garlic cloves peeled and crushed, whatever hot peppers I have access to, basil and rosemary. Once I added a smoked Peruvian piment?n my mother gave me that unfortunately is gone now. I keep the jars in the fridge and they can last for months.
They're perfect for the antipasto or accompany meats or even to top pizzas.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 01:40:46 PM »
Lunch
Single egg omelette.  Topped with melted bulgarian feta and sauteed crimini mushrooms with scallions.  I sliced a small tomato from the garden on it and ground a little pepper on it.  Yum!

No matter how the rest of my day goes, at least I ate well.  That's gotta count for something, right?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »
Lunch
Single egg omelette.  Topped with melted bulgarian feta and sauteed crimini mushrooms with scallions.  I sliced a small tomato from the garden on it and ground a little pepper on it.  Yum!

Wow, that sounds superb.  I'd say I'm impressed but the feeling is more like awe.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »
Wow, that sounds great.  Sure beats my....um, nothing (I sip on Mountain Dew throughout the morning).
--dweez

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 05:30:19 AM »
Lunch

Simple, tasty, classy, nutritious, low calorie and it probably looks good too. I'd shine all of her 6pairsofshoes.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »
After a use for a Aubergine if any one can help  :)
remember children may read this  ;D ;D

I have had it in a dish and not a moussaka, but i cannot remember what

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »
I don't know. Maybe if you give us more clues?

Dishes with eggplant that I can remember: Ratatouille, Melanzane alla Parmigiana, Imam bayildi, and googling I also got Karnıyarık.  :-\

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 04:40:35 AM »
I don't know. Maybe if you give us more clues?

Dishes with eggplant that I can remember: Ratatouille, Melanzane alla Parmigiana, Imam bayildi, and googling I also got Karnıyarık.  :-\
thats just it i cannot remember what it was. ;D nice though

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »
After a use for a Aubergine if any one can help  :)
remember children may read this  ;D ;D

I have had it in a dish and not a moussaka, but i cannot remember what

Great in a Tamarind curry, but I can't seem to lay my hands on the recipe right now.  I'll skim through a few of my books and see if I can find it.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 12:12:05 AM »
curry's are nice, lots of curry houses in leicester