Author Topic: Wireless Modem/Router  (Read 4919 times)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
Wireless Modem/Router
« on: April 13, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
Has anyone ever had a wireless modem/router? I have a tech job but I honestly dont keep up with stuff unless Im forced to look it up. This hardware is interesting to me. Just wondering who has used one and what you think about it.

Offline Nobby

• Q
Re: Wireless Modem/Router
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »
I would think we all had one by now ?
 ;)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »

I've had a WiFi router for years but hardwired the 4 computers in use here as I prefer the stability of cable. It is handy for my Android phone, Pocket PC and laptop to use though, so I leave the WiFi permanently turned on for those to use or any visitors that may need a connection.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
For those of you that are alittle slow let me help you out. Here is an example of a wireless modem/router. I did leave out the word "cable". Thats my fault. Now......back to the question.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »
Maybe I'm one of the slow ones you referenced but your question seems a little vague to me. Do you want a suggestion for a specific router/modem,namely the one you just posted? Or are you really asking what are our thoughts on a piece of hardware that's been around for quite some time now?
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »
Most of the big ISPs (that I've noticed) in the U.S. now provide clients with a combo cable (or dsl) modem/router/WAP.  Basically smooshing together the home wireless router and the cable/dsl modem.  I'm still rocking the old Motorola Surfboard I got from my ISP 4 years ago and it's doing fine.
--dweez

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:09:34 AM »
Most of the big ISPs (that I've noticed) in the U.S. now provide clients with a combo cable (or dsl) modem/router/WAP.  Basically smooshing together the home wireless router and the cable/dsl modem.  I'm still rocking the old Motorola Surfboard I got from my ISP 4 years ago and it's doing fine.

Yeah, I thought these were given free by your ISP - they are over here. I used a Motorola Surfboard when I was with Virgin Media and had no probs. I switched ISPs to Sky and they gave me a D-Link one - also no probs.

The biggest plus for these is setting up a home network so you can be tucked up in bed with your laptop and still access files stored downstairs on your PC and then get to stay in bed while printing stuff off on the printer (also downstairs).  :)

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 07:54:17 AM »
Interesting... I don't think I've ever seen one with a cable modem built in.  Most of the ones I've seen are either without the modem or with an integrated DSL modem.

The wireless thingy is convenient.

Have you tried attaching the plugs at the end of ethernet cables?  That's hella tricky.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!