Author Topic: Ebay oddities.  (Read 17867 times)

Offline Nobby

• Q
Re: Ebay oddities.
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »
RRP £1995!
On what planet ?!?!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »
I don't know about in the UK, but here in the US, that wouldn't be legit.  Finding the music and/or the lyrics to project on a screen is not the hard part.  Any modern worship song is copy-written and trademarked and the church entity needs to be licensed to use it in a service.  A church is a business like any other, albeit not-for-profit, and still needs to follow the same copyright and trademarked laws.

That aside, just having the OS, office, and A/V (and any other software) installed does not mean it is licensed, and even if it is, more often than not, software licenses aren't transferable.  If a church entity wants to do things right, this is not the way to go.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 03:13:44 PM »
I don't know about in the UK, but here in the US, that wouldn't be legit.  Finding the music and/or the lyrics to project on a screen is not the hard part.  Any modern worship song is copy-written and trademarked and the church entity needs to be licensed to use it in a service.  A church is a business like any other, albeit not-for-profit, and still needs to follow the same copyright and trademarked laws.

That aside, just having the OS, office, and A/V (and any other software) installed does not mean it is licensed, and even if it is, more often than not, software licenses aren't transferable.  If a church entity wants to do things right, this is not the way to go.

I think that would have been covered by the original sale from Kevin Mayhew, and also why it was worth 2k.  I can't see how any of the licenses would be transferable though?
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 04:19:56 PM »
"Cats Love It". Damned, you could have fooled me.  :o

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 04:53:22 PM »
I'm pissed off with Ebay at the moment as there new dispute system doesn't really allow for negotiation between members, it just gets in the way.

I have a dispute with a member as from today whereby the item was incorrectly described, and they want me to pay the return postage.

Really? You kidding me?

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »
i've heard paypal can be a real pain to deal with too  :-\

Online goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 12:06:11 AM »
I personally have never had a problem with paypal ( had a complaint years ago though).
I find ebay a bloody nightmare when you have a dispute.

Tried to claim off my Barclay card once for a damaged item ( as it is linked to paypal)
All Barclays said was " as you used a third party to pay for your goods, we cannot help you"
I sent a snotty letter including them advertising and recommending the use of paypal in purchasing off Ebay.
Got my money back in the end.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:08:22 AM by goldshirt*9 »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 02:29:18 AM »

I paid for an item last week and the recipient had a problem with their Paypal account so the payment stayed as "pending" (this is not uncommon). It is quite easily fixed but you have to pay again after cancelling the previous transaction.

That seems ok, right?

No, because the problem is that Paypal can take up to 30 days, yes, 30 DAYS to get the cancelled payment back into your account!! WTF?

Other than that, they're just plain criminals with their charges.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 08:10:48 AM »
Here's an update on the return postage issue I have:

From Ebay Customer Support:

Hello <me>,

Thank you for writing back to eBay Customer Service regarding the hoody (item# ****) that you have purchased from “only****”. I’m sorry to hear that you are having an issue with this transaction. I understand how disappointing it is to received an item which is wrong and you’d like to return it to the seller, however you’re concerned about the postage cost.

First of all, I'd like to commend your effort in bringing this matter to our attention. I also acknowledge how you feel about this case and I appreciate your willingness to work with us. Rest assured that I will be able to explain how the issue can be resolve.

I have carefully reviewed your account <me> and I understand why shouldering the return postage cost is inconvenient for you. Please understand that under the terms of the eBay Buyer Protection policy, it is the responsibility of the buyer to cover the cost of return postage. You might be pleased to know though that sometimes, sellers are willing to fund or part-fund the cost of the return. They do this to heighten customer service on the site and to encourage an environment of putting trading partners first. It also increases their positive feedback and goes a long way for their seller standards. This is something which both of you can discuss.

<snipped the rest of the bunk>

I trust this information is useful to ease out your concern and I wish you the best of luck trading on eBay.

Kind regards,

Martin Marshall
eBay Customer Service

And my response a short while ago:

Hello Martin,

I read these suggestions the in the first response from Customer Support but here is my issue:

If you look at the original listing it states a men's size large top, that much is without question.  The problem is it is a snug fit on my 10 year old son who is by no means abnormal in size. If it had been a large that was snug on me due to a rather relaxed effort in shedding the Christmas excesses, I would be grateful if the seller agreed to refund it upon return and could see sense in your policy.

However, this is not the case. It is rather an idiotic mistake by the seller who listed a woman's garment as a man's which will end up costing me a few pounds, which I am afraid, just isn't on - in fact, it goes against the very base principle of Ebay: which is to save money.

This isn't a case of my not being able to afford it, I can, it is about principle, that's right, principle.  You seem a like a nice guy but I am not going to pay for the hole made in your trousers when you fall over after a night on the town - that is your affair. And neither am I going to pay for the seller's incorrect listing an item that I unwittingly bought.  That makes even less sense that me paying for your trousers, and you've done nothing wrong.

On a serious note, this is about your sellers getting it right.  It cannot be a policy whereby people do not pay due care and attention to how they list things, knowing that all they have at stake is an outbound postage cost.  That encourages folly. Mistakes like this must be punitive to some degree, if only to discourage carelessness.

If all that is left is for me to insist to seller of this item, that she pay for the return postage, then so be it. But I think that is the wrong path and policy as it could lead to friction and bad feeling.  It would make more sense if Ebay asked that question.

Good day

<me>

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 08:49:36 AM »
Here's an update on the return postage issue I have:

From Ebay Customer Support:

So many words to say "golly you, honey, deal with it"  :-\

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 11:12:54 AM »
When you check out, you can often opt to use a credit card instead of a Paypal balance to pay.  I've found that some credit card companies are much better in dealing with misleading listings than eBay (or Paypal, its subsidiary).  It seems there is a wide berth given to sellers regarding the "item not as described" category.  If you ordered a zebra and they sent you an elephant, you might have luck, but if you ordered a large zebra and they send you a small one with only three legs you might as well give up.

I've been pretty lucky in having people just write off the item when it was not as described, providing me with a full refund.  As a seller I was pretty pissed when I discovered that if someone opts to buy something and backs out, eBay does nothing about it and won't let you leave negative feedback to warn off other sellers about that customer.  I try to get around that by leaving a complaint under the guise of positive feedback, but a fat lot of good that does.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 03:20:11 AM »
* smokester enters the room whistling..

The response from Ebay:

Hello <me>,

Thank you for getting in touch with eBay Customer Service regarding the jacket (item ********) that you have purchased from "only*****". I’m sorry to hear that you are having an issue with this transaction and I understand that you don't want to pay for the cost of return postage.

Before we go on, a copy of this email has been sent to both your eBay messages and the registered email address on your eBay account. However, the attachment that is referred to is only accessible from your registered email account.

After reviewing the case, we have decided to have you return the item to the seller for a full refund. This means you will be refunded the cost of the item and the original postage. Generally, in these cases when a buyer has to return an item to a seller the cost of the return is something which is worked out between the parties involved but in this case we have issued you a pre-paid postage label which you can use to return this item to the seller.

CUSTOMER INSTRUCTIONS
We ask that you print the attached postage label and bring it along with your item to your local post office within the next 10 days. From there Parcel Force will collect the parcel and deliver it back to the seller. Please also ensure that you retain your proof of posting certificate should it be needed.

Please ensure that the attached label is securely fixed to your parcel. If the barcode is not visible, and the label is not fixed securely, the parcel may be refused at the Post Office branch.

Once you have shipped the item you will then need to come back to the Resolution Centre and add the tracking number from your label onto the case using the steps below. Here’s how:

<snipped lots more bunk>

I trust I've been able to explain things clearly. I genuinely wish you every success in all your future endeavours.

I might yet make a career out of this.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 05:45:32 AM »
* smokester enters the room whistling..

I might yet make a career out of this.

I salute you!

"I genuinely wish you every success in all your future endeavours."

I wonder if there was a little sarcasm in there.  :D