Author Topic: Stray Cat had Kittens !  (Read 9636 times)

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
Re: Stray Cat had Kittens !
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »
thanks for the updates Mishca. good that the runt is still around, but hope the other 2 didn't get run over, caught by a fox, coyote, etc.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 08:01:05 PM »
i figured I'd share here no one in my life cares that I'm feeding strays :). I live in the city so the worse thing that could happen would be a dog or a car hitting them. but the mom only leaves and enters by the landlord's backyard and the kittens are really shy. I hope the landlord didn't do anything to the other two kittens, he is not very nice.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 08:16:36 PM »
well, to hell with them, you know yourself, and its a good thing you're doing  :) . i live in a city too (though a small one), but we are getting a lot of urban foxes, quite common to see them in the evening, the coyotes are driving them out of their habitats, and now the occasional coyotes are spotted in the city (one in my neighborhood a few weeks ago). i doubt the mother would leave kits behind if they were still alive  :-\ .

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
foxes are beautiful. There's only been one instances that I remember maybe about a year or two ago that coyote was running loose. and he managed to give the cops the slip and he was never seen again.  I'm not sure what the police do here when they catch wild animals that don't  typical live here. I probably don't even want to know. I guess I was living in the lala land in thinking that perhaps the other two kittens decided to move on. Which is just silly. The mom cat did hiss at me today when I went to remove the food bowl. I told her, she needed to behave herself because I'm the one that feeds her. She has been showing extra attention to the "blind" one. I'm reluctant to call the humane society. I know they can't live in the landlords backyard forever.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 04:02:56 AM »
It can be tragic for feral animals living inner city but in my experience, nature adapts.  Where I live we have thousands of foxes that live on many 'Commons' nearby.  Every night you can see then rummaging through all the bins in the street and domestic cats really have to run the gauntlet with them.  That said, for some reason the foxes generally leave the cats be and the worst the moggies have to contend with is each other.

Sooner or later you should get the professionals to deal with this though as they will do everything to ensure the animals' well being.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »
Cats can be pretty bad ass. This orange tabby came visit he was absoultey huge. I scared him away though. Ive already decided that I am going to call local animal care center and have them pick up the  cat and kittens or I will take the kittens in next week when im finished with my othr animal duties. there are only two kittens left, I have no.idea where other one disappeared to.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 02:29:22 PM »
I went to feed the them this morning and now there is only one kitten left. Which is the runt of the litter. Its really strange. There was a large black cat hangingaround and I think it was male because went out , it smelled like fresh cat piss. I read some where male cats will kill kittens but I cant imagine a cat pick a  kitten off one by one.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »
i wonder what is happening to them? the mother usually watches over them pretty closely.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »
Cute but a little to close for comfort the mom cat and the runt where waiting in my yard when I got home. The second kitty showed up out of the blue, thank goodness, I still wonder what happened to the other three. So I fed them a second time today. The runt was close enough for me to take pictures so I did I'll post them. I plan on calling animal care Wednesday, so they come pick her up on thursday. Who knew it would be so emotional to take care of strays, I just so badly wanted to take the runt home with me. But I know its not possible. I think the mom cat is warming up to me or she knows I'm a sucker. I feel like now that I've started feeding them I can't stop, cuz I'll feel bad if I do.     

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
Okay, I made the appt. they will be here tomorrow in the morning to take the kitten. they asked if I could contain her. So I will attempt to catch her and put her in a box. Hopefully we will be the first call of the day. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:53:41 PM by mishca09 »

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 06:13:59 AM »
poor little thing, cute  :)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
When I was a kid my mum used to take in cats that other people didn't want as she couldn't bear the thought of them being out down (the cats that is, the owners would have been less traumatic).  We ended up with quite a few and eventually has to take them to the RSPCA ourselves, although we did hang on to four of them.

This story makes me want to follow in my mum's footsteps.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »
I was able to catch her, she was so scared and I felt awful ( still do). The lady told me that they will attempt to save it but if they can't find a foster home and it is not improving that they would put it down. I wish I could have fostered the kitten and I hope they can find her home. The mom cat and the healthy kitten disappeared for a bit but they popped back up just now. I said I would stop feeding them but I don't think I will. I just won't feed them as often, the kitten does have to learn how to fend for its self eventually.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 03:26:30 AM »
I'm sure the kitten will be ok now as with the right medical care, it should recover and be a valid option for someone to take on.  You could always ask after it and see how the little fella is doing.  Perhaps then you could adopt it when it is strong enough.

My view is that it didn't have long if left in the wild, so whatever you did, it definitely improved its chances of survival.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 06:16:51 AM »
+1  kittens will always get adopted, its the older cats they have trouble finding homes for.