Author Topic: Stray Cat had Kittens !  (Read 9633 times)

Offline mishca09

• Q
Stray Cat had Kittens !
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »
I heard some howling last night and I thought it was some cats going at it ! and then today my granny tells me there are kittens downstairs.  The neighbor next to us is doing some construction and its pretty junky like its awful, anyways the stray cat has made a home in the mess and it has the cutest kittens. I went out today and brought some cat food, just like two cans, I figure she must be hungry after poppin out some kittens. So far I've only seen two kittens and one of them looked like it had one eye shut :( and the mom looked a little cross eyed. and she looks really young.

I forgot my phone in the house so I wasn't able to take pictures. I called the information line to see if humane society would come pick up the kittens but I wanted to make sure they wouldn't kill them, but they couldn't tell me what they would do the kittens  after they pick them up and they said if the mothers around they won't come and get them. I feed her one can of cat food and one of her little kittens came out to investigate but she soooo wasn't sharing and I was such a watering pot. It was really sweet and sad.

if anyone has any experience with stray cats, was it okay to find her? should I just leave her alone? will she eventually abandon the kittens?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Stray Cat had Kittens !
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:25:40 AM »
never had cats, but if you feed her / them they will befriend you i would guess and you will have a house full of cats

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »
she took her kittens and left. oh wellz.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:00:37 AM »
Where I grew up there was piece of waste ground that was home to many feral cats.  Luckily there was a Romanian woman called Lia that took it upon herself to be a guardian to them all.  Every day she'd go to this area (and others) and leave out some boiled Coley as it was dirt cheap back then. 

My mother was friends with here and allowed her to take both my sister and me with her some evenings.  It was amazing seeing all the hungry faces suddenly appear out of the bushes when she arrived.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »
thats nice. I don;t think I could do that. There used to be a cat lady around here to but she died...

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »
Shes back with her five kittens. I'm not sure if she left or was just hiding for a bit. I noticed that one of kittens has both of its eyes shut. Its also the runt of the litter. and its always out last out to eat . I've called the humane society to find out about taking the kitten in or having them pick it up. I've googled it and it says that the kitten might have FIV ( cat disease) I was really tempted to take it in the house with me but I have a dog and plus I dont have a crate or anything to keep it in safely and I have early class tomorrow and I wouldn't even be able to take it to the care center. I'm just glad the mother is still feeding it.  Such a downer ! 

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:17:34 PM »
ALso ! so the mama cat catch a bird the other day. IT WAS AMAZING !

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 04:35:45 AM »
This plot is getting quite thick now and I for one am interested in any updates.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 05:41:25 AM »
i think kittens are supposed to be a certain age before being taken from their mother, i want to say 6 weeks, but i'm not sure.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 07:18:17 AM »
they may be about 4weeks old but my concern is that the little one can not see and he isn't as strong or as big as its sibling. and I read online if the eye thing isnt treated it could start to become infected.
heres a picture only 3 of them are nursing,the 4th one is running around and the little one is no where to be seen. I'll try to take better pictures next time.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 07:25:29 AM »
cute (and heartbreaking). animal lover myself.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »
more pictures.

that's the runt of the litter, he was really skittish today.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 12:48:37 AM »
always a runt in the litter.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 07:24:39 PM »
yeah….

So the landlord came today blocked the hole to garage where the mama and kittens come in and out of. I moved it when I got in. I figure they are probably hiding in there.  So, they should have a chance to get out and move.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
they  moved to his backyard but there are  only three kittens now. I have no idea what happened to the other two but the runt is still around !! and looking a little healthier.