Author Topic: Has anyone purchased used cell phones online?  (Read 6016 times)

Offline mishca09

• Q
Has anyone purchased used cell phones online?
« on: August 04, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »
Mytouch slide 4g has a bent battery prong and cracked battery. I brought a new battery off of amazon but the phone won't recognize it and it wont charge. I want to just get a cheap used smartphone  because to replace it with the cell phone insurance is a 90 dollar deductible which is jussssssst crazy.

So if you have any websites to recommend that would be lovely.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Has anyone purchased used cell phones online?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »
I have bought many phones, and spare parts for phones, off Ebay.  As long as you know what it is you want you can buy them pretty cheap - here at least.

I use a Motorola Defy (needed a robust phone) which retails at about £160, but you can get then reconditioned off Ebay for about £50.

In the past though when I have killed a phone and can't identify which part is faulty, I usually try and get a "spares or repair" phone off Ebay and use it as a donor to repair the other one.  It is surprisingly simple to fix them and some phones can be bought for £15 because they have a cracked screen (good news when it's the motherboard I need).
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 08:46:21 PM »
Thanks smokester. I checked out eBay and I did see a couple of things, I just need to do more research

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »
i bought a refurb Motorola flip phone a few years ago (have a smart phone now) from my carrier (Virgin) for less than half price on their website, and never had a problem with it. check if your carrier does the same, more reliable than ebay in my opinion.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 11:06:45 PM »
99.00 is the lowest tmobile has for pre paid smart phone. Its over the budget I set for myself but you are right, it is the most reliable option. Thanks

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
Ive decided I'm not even going to get a cheap phone. for whatever reason tmobile will let me upgrade online so I'm leaning towards the samsung galaxy 2 for 199. on top of that tmobile adds $18 upgrade fee *rolls eyes*  plus they charge for shipping.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 03:38:51 AM »
Does paying $199 for the phone mean that it is sim free or are you tied to a contract?

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:09:36 AM »
you could try looking for unlockable phones on sale at local electronics stores, but do your research first to make sure it is unlockable. got my LG Chic (entry level smartphone) on sale for $69, got unlock code on ebay for $2, then switched service providers.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »
Does paying $199 for the phone mean that it is sim free or are you tied to a contract?
We are tied into a contract. If I don't want a contract then Im charged full retail price for the phone.
My advice: don't buy a used iPhone unless you are absolutely sure of its provenance. Because you have to go through an Apple-hosted activation, the phone has to be legal and un-jail-broken. Activation will fail if not, and you wouldn't believe how many folk out there are trying to sell phones with what might be termed "misleading" information.

-- not that anyone cares about buying used iPhones.

Thanks for the advice I wouldn't bother buying a used iPhone cuz the new one  is suppose to come out soon.

you could try looking for unlockable phones on sale at local electronics stores, but do your research first to make sure it is unlockable. got my LG Chic (entry level smartphone) on sale for $69, got unlock code on ebay for $2, then switched service providers.

Thanks I will have to get a list together of some local electronic shops in the area for just in case   

I totally splurged on myself and got the galaxy III. I'm happy with it so far but that means no more free internet tethering. I will have to do some research. They guy at the store totally talked me into buying accessories.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 08:08:58 AM »
....The guy at the store totally talked me into buying accessories.

You see, another sleazeball.

Told ya.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 02:38:51 AM »
Friend is selling a Iphone 4 for £125 unlocked .

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »
I'm like over the whole iPhone thing. I wanted one for like forever but totally fine if t-mobile gets the iPhone 5 when it comes out

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 04:23:38 AM »
I'd consider and iPhone as a backup.

I said that for christ's sake, for Christ's sake.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 01:09:31 PM »
I've been using an iPhone since the iPhone 3 (upgraded to the iPhone 4 shortly after it was released) and have never had any problems with it.  For Androids, I'm almost shocked when I DON'T see one with a broken screen cuz most of my friends who have Androids all have their screens cracked.  I still have my old iPhone 3 but never use it (and don't feel like selling it for $30 bucks or so).  I did dual boot IOS4 and Android Froyo v1.5 but Froyo ran like ass so restored it to default.
--dweez