Author Topic: New to the site?  (Read 5595 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
New to the site?
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
I thought I'd re-post this as I said it somewhere else, but I keep forgetting where:

Just thought I'd mention a couple of things to our recently enrolled members.

Firstly, as I mentioned in another post, word censoring is purely a members decision.  You can turn this on and off in your profile settings under "Look and Layout" (leave words uncensored - or not).  I have children about who occasionally snoop over my shoulder, so I choose to keep the filter on which is at least one reason for it to be an option.

Secondly, we are primarily a "forum games" board as we were originally designed to take the pressure away from D****oid (there were a lot of people getting pissed off by the weight of "Name That *" threads showing up in the unread posts). But, we do understand that these threads here could also be a bit of a turn off for some so there is an extra feature in your profile settings that allows you to "ignore" certain boards so they won't show up in replies.  It doesn't make them inaccessible, it just allows members to post where they want to more efficiently and without distraction.

That's all I can think of for now, but here is a reminder of where the rules are:

Rules
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
Re: New to the site?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 12:17:33 PM »
WELL this looks better than starting a new topic on a subject i need to know about : ) 
It's good to know about the filter, I tried to curse and thought it was prohibited when it changed to "golly" ; )

Ok, my question is about my IP address being open for people to view here, can I change that?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: New to the site?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »
WELL this looks better than starting a new topic on a subject i need to know about : ) 
It's good to know about the filter, I tried to curse and thought it was prohibited when it changed to "golly" ; )

Ok, my question is about my IP address being open for people to view here, can I change that?

Each member should be able to see their own IP address but not that of anyone else.  If you can see mine, then Houston, we have a problem, but if it is only your own you can see then that should hardly pose a risk to you.

As a point of interest, I have a special modification here that is not usual to forums using SMF software, and that is I have the ability, and have, turned the IPs off to even the moderators (excluding Dweez) so as to add another layer of protection for those who have come directly from Dem****d.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.