Author Topic: Malware on mac  (Read 4720 times)

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
Malware on mac
« on: August 25, 2012, 05:31:18 AM »
Hi all,

I'm working on a macbook air running 10.4 that seems to have been hijacked by some kind of viscous malware. I can start the machine effectively and browse through settings and files with no ill effects, but if I attempt to open safari, hundreds of adware windows open sequentially rendering the entire system useless.

Admittedly I don't have much experience with repairing macs and Google seems to offer mixed reviews on which anti-malware or anti-virus would work best on any given mac. 

Any ideas out there? TIA, Al

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Malware on mac
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »
Open Safari with the shift key held down. This should stop it opening all of the windows from the last session. I am guessing that you actually closed the browser with a lot of adware windows open (been to isohunt recently?), and they are all being restored on browser open.

I'd better quote that as it's possibly-more-than-likely-definitely, right.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »
Okay chris, that worked great....thank you  :)

Is there any utility I should scan this MacBook with? It only has the default browser.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 05:01:54 PM »
Okay good, I'm self admittedly a Mac newb, but these very nice people asked if I could help them out. I'll return the machine tomorrow, but I was just looking for piece of mind knowing that the adware url's  wouldn't be held in cache or similar on this Mac. Do I need to delete browsing history or reset Safari?

Thanks again chris, you've been a big help, whereas Google offers utilities and little useful information in terms of help for these types of issues, I suppose it's wisdom gained by experience.

Al

Al

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:01:33 AM »
Nope, its not in any danger. Just don't allow automated flash updates (and similar), as currently the only malware you will get is stuff you are conned into installing yourself.

You can clear cache by:

Open Safari Preferences. In "Advanced", check "Show Develop Menu in menu bar", and then, from the newly appeared Develop menu, select "Empty Caches". Then go back and deselect the Develop menu (to avoid accidents).

Quoted for posterity.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »
I'm running Safari 5.1.7 and the Empty Cache task is located in the Safari pulldown menu (the first one listed) and not in the Preferences menu.

Thanks for the updates.