Author Topic: Kickin' chicken?  (Read 10277 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Kickin' chicken?
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:50:51 AM »
Campbell's Chunky Buffalo-Style Chicken Soup
http://www.campbellsoup.com/Products/Chunky/Traditional/121259
was dinner tonight.

First note was the color. Good lord I haven't seen so much orange since the Nickelodeon logo.

Kinda made me stop and ask myself if I really wanted to put that food in my body.

3 Minutes in the microwave on high got it cooked and ready for my belly.

Taste:
It's got a bit of kick, but it seems like they went for a comfy level for wimps. Like the flavor of wing sauce without the bite.

The Chicken.
The amount of chicken in the soup was underwhelming, as is all chicken/meat in soups these days. I won't even buy Progresso brand soup anymore. They're nearly down to water in a can. At least Chunky shoves in the veggies.

The veggies.

Plenty of potato in this soup, and whatever the green stuff was. It was a bit mush from being in the can and from flavor I couldn't tell you if it was broccoli or green beans. 

Either way, the picture was a complete lie.

Flavor wise? I'd say it was decent. Delivery? Lacking. If you put chicken in the name of the soup, you need to deliver the chicken. My guess is the Buffalo in the name was in regards to the broth.

I won't be buying it again based on the lack of chicken, but I wouldn't say no to it if offered.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 12:52:44 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: Kickin' chicken?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 01:50:48 AM »
I bought 2 of the microwaveable things.  Halfway through cooking one, it pop and flipped on it's side and spilled out all over.  I threw it away, cleaned up the microwave, then threw the other one away too.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 02:02:07 AM »
Nah, wasn't that desperate, it was just canned soup. opened the can, dumped it into microwave safe bowl.

I know what you're talking about though, I used to eat those nasty things at work because no one tries to steal them.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »
that sounds really gross. I don;t like canned chicken soup or any canned soup with meat in it because the meat always taste rubbery and dry, which just bothers me because it shouldn't be dry.

my mom would buy us tv dinners all the time, they were my favorite because we always got a dessert with it.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 06:34:21 PM »
We had some decent canned Campbell's soup lately.  Got it on sale--an 8 pack-- as it was past its sell by date but we snarfed it down in a week or two.  It was Select Harvest
Savory Chicken with Rice &
the Mexican Style Chicken Tortilla. 

I usually avoid most Campbell's soups except for the Chunky New England Clam Chowder (the only canned clam chowder I'll eat because due to some miracle, the bits of clam in it don't have the texture of a rubber eraser) and their Chicken Gumbo.

Progresso makes a few decent soups:  Garden Vegetable; Lentil; Santa Fe Style Chicken; Spicy Chicken Gumbo with sausage.  The rest are pretty much a lost cause.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 06:04:19 AM »
we sometimes buy campbells condensed mushroom soup.
makes a great sauce for lasagne  ;)

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »
you don't use  a red sauce?   whats your recipe?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 09:39:26 AM »
me or 6pair

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »
you :)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 04:33:47 AM »
;D
I boobed. we use it on  Cannelloni not lasagne .
Wife told me off severely for this mistake.  :-X

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 12:09:51 AM »
I just bought 29 cans of soup.  Campbells and Progresso.  Mostly Chicken Gumbo w/sausage.

And to help the unwary avoid future culinary disasters:  please do not under any circumstances buy:  Back to Nature brand microwaveable macaroni and cheese cups.  Run, don't walk, in the opposite direction.  What were they thinking?

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 08:03:34 AM »
please do not under any circumstances buy:  Back to Nature brand microwaveable macaroni and cheese cups.

It kinda makes you want to go "Back to Nature" and plant your own wheat and milk your cow in order to get edible macaroni and cheese.  ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:16:54 AM »
There's a whole host of nasty mac 'n' cheese about, it isn't reserved to just one brand.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 08:50:26 AM »
It's not hard to make mac n cheese from scratch.  Somehow somebody convinced the public that this (boxed mac n cheese) was a good idea and it caught on.

All you need to do is cook some macaroni, make a little mornay sauce (if you want it to be orange, use grated orange cheddar)

Here's Martha Stewart's recipe, but really, all you have to do is melt some butter, throw in a couple tablespoons of flour and cook them, add some milk (stir until well blended and slightly thickened over low heat) and add & melt some grated cheese into the mix, then toss with just cooked macaroni.  Not rocket science and probably no more expensive than the boxed mixes.  Cheddars work, as do nice mild cheeses like colby or monterrey jack.  For a little kick, use pepper jack.
http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/macaroni-and-cheese-with-mornay-sauce/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:52:15 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »
all you have to do is melt some butter, throw in a couple tablespoons of flour and cook them, add some milk (stir until well blended and slightly thickened over low heat) and add & melt some grated cheese into the mix, then toss with just cooked macaroni.  Not rocket science and probably no more expensive than the boxed mixes.

Exactly that + oranges + ice was my diet during the first 3 months of pregnancy. Damned hCG pretty much fried my brains.  :D