Author Topic: Reader's Nook  (Read 80514 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Reader's Nook
« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2016, 12:08:40 AM »
The Buried Giant   by Kazuo Ishiguro

a rare find i stumbled across, enjoying this novel a lot

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #241 on: June 02, 2016, 01:53:24 AM »
I read his Remains of the Day, as I picked it up in the airport store on the way to Brasil.  I got there and spent a rainy national holiday in my hotel room with little to do but read everything I had.  I read every article in the Economist and the New Yorker and then vacuumed my way through the Ishiguro.  It was enjoyable, especially as I'd recently seen the movie with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.  I also plowed through Gone with the Wind, a worm eaten edition that I'd picked up at Livraria Kosmos in Rio de Janeiro.  It was about 1100 pages.  There were films at nearby cinemas, but sadly even the American ones were dubbed into Portuguese (which I was still learning).  Instinto Selvagem (Basic Instinct) was in the theatres, but I didn't think I'd get it, so I stayed inside for a marathon reading session.  That, and the nightly telenovelas, kept me occupied.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2016, 12:49:15 PM »
Basic Instinct is probably best watched with the sound off anyway, so you wouldn't have missed much.
Having seen it in English on my return, I tend to concur with your assessment.

I'm in a classics reading group, mostly Greek literature, working our way through the tragedies, histories, etc.  We read Euripides' Andromache last night and I really enjoyed it.  Some of these plays would make perfect modern day telenovelas or soap operas (although the latter form in the U.S. appears to be dwindling).

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #243 on: June 03, 2016, 11:32:20 AM »
That, and the nightly telenovelas, kept me occupied.

The novela das nove and futebol can keep cariocas indoor. Rain can't.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #244 on: August 10, 2016, 05:27:02 PM »
Chaos Imagined: Literature, Art, Science. By Martin Meisel
http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-231-16632-4

A fat book about cultural attempts to incorporate "chaos" in a work, Meisel begins by doing a concise job of introducing the reader to contemporary Chaos theory--particularly deterministic chaotic systems--which he clarifies by mentioning its initial misnomer that causes most people to think of disorder and confusion. He distinguishes the overlap (and differences) between chaos and complexity theory; chaotic systems not as complicated combinations of multiple parts but the generation of seemingly random behavior from the iteration of a simple rule... chaotic in a very precise mathematical sense. Complexity is the generation of collective dynamical behavior from simple interactions between large numbers of parts. There is a difference. From there he discusses the concepts of nothingness, void, and space as its used in mythology, theology and various world poetry before introducing the reader to the Greek atomists. The middleman between these guys and the physics of the early 20th century being the Roman Lucretius. It's fun stuff if only because I'd read most of the material Meisel presents. At some point he'll equate this all to art and literature if he doesn't run out of steam. I'd read a few books like this before (https://books.google.com/books/about/Joyce_Chaos_and_Complexity.html?id=6Jctoxe6lawC, for example) and I'm actually excited to see if and how he does a better job than others. I expect he will.
I'm now around page 100 and mathematics has been the focus for the last dozen pages or so. Unfortunately, he doesn't say much about the mathematics/philosophy of the Babylonians, the Egyptians... nor that of the vedic culture(s), though he does cite them here and there. As for the Pythagoreans and the Nile boundary, I suspect they were right to hold irrational numbers in dread because where the space (i.e., chaos and void) between rational numbers should be there is only one long continuous stream and boundary conditions don't seem to apply. Wear rubber boots.

Huh?

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 05:37:45 PM by tarascon »
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #245 on: August 10, 2016, 11:27:26 PM »
Thank you t
Trying to find a PDF....

Offline Nobby

• Q
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2016, 11:44:09 AM »
The Girl With All The Gifts - M R Carey
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2016, 02:56:22 PM »
The Girl With All The Gifts - M R Carey
any good ?

finished
The Longest Kill: The Story of Maverick 41, One of the World's Greatest Snipers - Craig Harrison
Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege - Sgt. Dan Mills
needed something different. ???

Next I will be reading
The Man who would be King - Rudyard Kipling

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #248 on: February 07, 2017, 01:40:09 AM »
Level Zero Heroes - MICHAEL GOLEMBESKY.  riveting, fast paced account of Marine Operators in combat in Afghanistan. I must swap my genre.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #249 on: May 13, 2017, 12:33:33 AM »
back to the Anthony riches Empire series. didn't realise book 8+9 had been released  :)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #250 on: May 21, 2017, 09:10:41 AM »
Working my way through the Iliad.  Agamemnon seems like an bottom and Achilles is still really pissed (in the American sense).

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #251 on: May 22, 2017, 11:47:44 AM »
Working my way through the Iliad.  Agamemnon seems like an bottom and Achilles is still really pissed (in the American sense).

hard reading  8)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
Dagger 22 - Michael Golembesky second and last I would guess

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #253 on: October 21, 2017, 12:19:03 AM »
Jeff VanderMeer. the southern reach trilogy  (made into a film) interesting read

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #254 on: November 04, 2018, 12:22:49 AM »
Re start as a lot of books going into the Moive post.

Atm I am reading
Once A Pilgrim by James Deegan.
Always good to read something you dont normally look at, For a first book I would put it on par with
Patriot Games.Whereas in Patriot games Jack R bumbles along comes out on top, Carr in Once a Pilgrim  who is the main character knows what he wishes to achieve and gets it done with a passion.
Based from the Northern Ireland troubles to modern day, enjoyed