Author Topic: Reader's Nook  (Read 50459 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Reader's Nook
« Reply #315 on: August 19, 2021, 10:37:01 AM »
I enjoyed Ivanhoe, and kept stopping every page or so to look something up.  I ended up writing a dictionary of the oddball terms I kept encountering.  Great for Scrabble words.

I'm posting here from the TV thread because it seemed more related to books than to tv.

I've never read anything by Len Deighton, so maybe I'll pick up SS-GB, but I get the impression that the book leaves you hanging as much as the tv series did.  I'm reading Get Shorty now as I've never read any Elmore Leonard books (or at least I think I haven't).  The movie follows the book much more closely than the tv series did, but both are very good.

Did you ever go to the bookstore and buy a book only to find you already own it?  I must admit this has happened to me more than once.  But I don't have any Deighton novels at home, for sure.  I'm also in the middle of Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy, but that's a topic for another day.  It's very good and very long.  I also have to keep looking stuff up.  But it's beautifully written.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #316 on: August 19, 2021, 02:14:52 PM »
I enjoyed Ivanhoe, and kept stopping every page or so to look something up.  I ended up writing a dictionary of the oddball terms I kept encountering.  Great for Scrabble words.

Loved it
Try The White Company or Sir Nigel by Arthur Conan Doyle , I read then to death and had to buy another of each

I've never read anything by Len Deighton, so maybe I'll pick up SS-GB, but I get the impression that the book leaves you hanging as much as the tv series did.  I'm reading Get Shorty now as I've never read any Elmore Leonard books (or at least I think I haven't).  The movie follows the book much more closely than the tv series did, but both are very good.

Haven't watched the series but read the book a long time ago. Was OK but I was young and wasnt my style then.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #317 on: August 19, 2021, 02:46:28 PM »
Scott's Kenilworth is also very good.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll look into the Conan Doyle titles.  I'd also be happy to read more by Scott.  He was certainly prolific.  Waverly was the first of the series of "Waverly Novels" that apparently include Ivanhoe.  He beats the pants off Elmore Leonard, but Get Shorty is pretty fun for what it is.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #318 on: August 20, 2021, 04:58:27 AM »
https://www.goodreads.com/series/132815-chivalry
reading the first book ( didnt realise there were more ) Gritty and not a chivalric as Ivanhoe