Author Topic: Pandora.  (Read 7414 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Pandora.
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:13:20 PM »
A few years back I was listening to pandora and thinking it was the best poo since napster. It didn't take up space on my hard drive, and it was tunes for the background while I was shooting people in video games.

So I made an account, and like most accounts the first 30 days were magical. Everything worked great, nothing went wrong, I could skip songs that sucked or downvote them to oblivion.

About two months in, I hit their "free listen limit" which I believe was 20 hours total in a month.

I game pretty compulsively, so I hit that limit fairly early in the month. I didn't like this, so I contacted their support department to cancel my account. At first they tried to retain the account and tell me to just not use it, but I didn't want to be counted as part of their user base.

Their support department was surprisingly understanding, and closed my account as requested.

Since then, they have removed the limit. I signed back up, and am very happy with the current performance. I'll post back in this thread in march if things go shitsville.

I've yet to hear an ad, and the only limitation I've ran into is that they stop the music every once in a while to check if a human is actually listening. This is easy enough to fix between respawns, so it's a good choice for the gamer.

Plus, you decide the content unlike slacker. On slacker you're using a predefined set list made by a DJ. That's fine if you get a good DJ, but their dubstep DJ, "Party Ben" doesn't really seem to understand what he's doing.

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
Re: Pandora.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:05:57 AM »
How have you not heard an ad???

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:39:39 PM »
OH, it'll get em.  Pandora certainly has adds, it just takes about 7 or 8 songs into a station.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:13:49 AM »
Necromancy power!

Nah, still no ads. Worst thing that happens is it asks if I'm still listening. Sucks in sims 3 because you can't alt tab from sims 3. Or shoot the repoman in the face.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:22:21 AM »
I find it loads like hell on the ps3.

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 12:57:35 AM »
A music site I visit regularly began incorporating Last.fm into its features last December so I have been using that a lot lately. The recommendations are pretty well done and I have found some stuff that is pretty cool that I had not heard of until now. I like it, but I only started visiting right about the time streaming to a local media player was disabled so to use it I have to keep a browser tab open, which is no big deal really, but I would rather use my media player.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:17:53 AM »
Why not just compile playlists in iTunes or another media player and play those while you game?  No ads, no interruptions, etc...

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 06:47:35 AM »
Though I have yet to check out Pandora, a friend of mine back east swears by it.
I tend to listen to my CD collection which I've placed on SonicStage.
Slightly off topic... I used to tape stuff like mad and have hundreds of old compilation tapes--mixed from CD's, the radio, and other tapes. A few years ago I found a device which allows me to edit tapes onto CD's.
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 07:37:13 AM »
Neat! I'm still missing my music. Hdd is nowhere to be found. Meanwhile, I bought Florence and the machine's ceremonials on iTunes. Because its amazing. First music purchase since the nineties. Kinda proud. :D

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 01:22:06 PM »
 love florence and the machine when I first got their cd I listened to it none stop.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »
I pick up a lot of CD's at goodwill, but I use Pandora to find new stuff.

I like having my music in hard copy.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »
^ That's true. One massive solar electromagnetic pulse and we lose all of our digital stuff. lol

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:27 PM »
well I'm pretty sure a CD player would be bent in that situation as well.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »
Yep. But that would've complicated the gag!  ;)
Best to keep a live band in your basement at all times.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 05:26:36 PM »
I suppose I could take up guitar. I've had one for years it's mostly gathered dust.