Author Topic: STALKER(s)  (Read 6952 times)

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
STALKER(s)
« on: March 22, 2013, 08:41:01 AM »
This is a threefold thread which can discuss any of the following:

1. Roadside Picnic, the great science fiction novel by the Russian brothers Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. I recently reread a new translation--I originally read the book around 1979.
http://io9.com/5908702/a-new-translation-of-the-one-russian-science-fiction-novel-you-absolutely-must-read

2. The film Stalker by Andrei Tartovsky which is based on the novel mentioned above. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalker_%281979_film%29

3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The game which is based on both the book and the film. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:_Shadow_of_Chernobyl

I've included the links in the likelihood that no one's heard of any of the three listings and in the hopes it will prompt a response. Anyone who is familiar with the material should, I trust, have something to say about it.

Yes, another boring tarascon thread!   :P
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
Re: STALKER(s)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:58:14 AM »
NIce :D, I'll let you know when I know anything about any of the above, my friend.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:16:04 PM »
The book stands along the best of Philip K D-ick and is probably the best "contemporary" Russian science fiction. I hope that the brothers' other books are reprinted again; I read a number of them in the late 1970's.
Spoiler (hover to show)
The game does a nice job of blending the plots of both the novel and the film and is a pretty good RP FPS.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »
I can't say I've paid this much attention during my life, although I have heard it discussed in the past.

I'll try and read this when I'm on holiday later this year as it looks like solid material.

Your threads are the opposite of boring, tarascon, they're always quite stimulating.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:06:11 PM »
2. The film Stalker by Andrei Tartovsky which is based on the novel mentioned above.

“I am only interested in the views of two people: one is called Bresson and one called Bergman.”

And I don't find your threads boring at all, tarascon.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 08:24:08 PM »
I haven't read this book, nor have I heard of the Russian brother authors.  Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.  I know little of Russian science fiction.  Mikail Bulgakov's Heart of a Dog, is about as far as I've gotten into that genre, although I've seen both versions of Solaris.

Anything worthy of a comparison with D-ick, one of my favorite sci-fi authors, deserves a place in the queue.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Maybe I can find it in epub and read it on the iPad.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:38:41 PM »
Game punishes you for being a capitalist. Be forewarned.

Also bugged as golly. GET OUT OF HERE STALKER GET OUT OF HERE STALKER.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 12:24:27 AM »
Yes, another boring tarascon thread!   :P
please don't be hard on your self. that's our job  ;D ;D
No really, as stated your threads are less that boring.
Stimulating and educational in my own opinion.
Have  the ebook for my kindle and will start reading today.Always up for a new book to read.
Many of their books are available for e readers
Spoiler (hover to show)
just in case i cannot post the link  ???

I am looking for a book in this genre, was posted on Demonoid by Frank Capri about a detective in a modern word, drugs / robots were involved.A family (rich) were the culprits.
A little thin i know but its all i can remember, quite a famous book in the genre, written in the 70 / 80's maybe.
He started a thread about it but i cannot find the title.
 Have or had a audiobook about it (till pc went bang)Any help would be appreciated.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 04:56:44 AM »
“I am only interested in the views of two people: one is called Bresson and one called Bergman.”

Bresson is another of my favorite directors, btw.

I haven't read this book, nor have I heard of the Russian brother authors.  Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.  I know little of Russian science fiction.  Mikail Bulgakov's Heart of a Dog, is about as far as I've gotten into that genre, although I've seen both versions of Solaris.

Steven Soderbergh's version of Tartovsky's classic is a good film... it went completely against my expectations. But then it's Soderbergh who, even on a bad day, knows how to make movies.

I am looking for a book in this genre, was posted on Demonoid by Frank Capri about a detective in a modern word, drugs / robots were involved.A family (rich) were the culprits.
A little thin i know but its all i can remember, quite a famous book in the genre, written in the 70 / 80's maybe.
He started a thread about it but i cannot find the title.
 Have or had a audiobook about it (till pc went bang)Any help would be appreciated.

Just a guess because the publishing date is later than the 1980's, but might it be by Richard K. Morgan?

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 07:09:04 AM »
Downloading now. Will read after my current book.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 09:55:45 AM »
Downloading now. Will read after my current book.

Nice.
The things that the brothers have most in common with PKD is the use of a "common" person as a protagonist. That and their great imagination. It also reminds me of some of Ursula LeGuin's style (think Lathe of Heaven). I would be interesting to find out if the Strugatsky's ever read PKD but--considering the Soviet Union at that time--I doubt it. PKD would've been way too subversive.
Also, on the use of the Chernobyl disaster in the game version:
Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 12:54:40 PM »
I think i found the author
William Gibson and the book is  Neuromancer
have to get hold of a ebook now

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »
Props to Gibson for writing that book.
I don't recall a detective in it though. The plot tropes you mentioned sure do sound familiar.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 09:15:22 PM »
Neuromancer.  I remember reading it many years ago.  I don't remember detectives either.  Rather a young woman with remarkable computer skills.  It's been a long time, though.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 01:16:24 AM »
Possibly I remember a mixture of books  ;D
An age thing