Author Topic: We got to move these Microwave Ovens  (Read 5389 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
We got to move these Microwave Ovens
« on: March 23, 2013, 08:15:19 PM »
http://www.dealtime.com/Emerson-MW8626/info

This is the microwave we have now. Total break room special. It's starting corroding so the line has been drawn. Roommate who is responsible for replacing it is foot dragging. Anyone have any links to cheap appliances? I don't really mind if it's another 0.6 CF, but I am NOT putting up with another 600 watt piece of poo.

I'm in the south san diego area, near the Coronado bridge. Craigslist San Diego seems very north county oriented, all the microwaves I'm finding are in del mar.

Offline mishca09

• Q
Re: We got to move these Microwave Ovens
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 08:19:03 PM »
what about wally world?

target has some on sale…

http://www.target.com/c/microwaves-kitchen-appliances-dining/-/N-5xtrk

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »
Yeah, we actually went to Walmart today, surprise surprise, the one he's willing to buy is the only one that is out-of-stock.

I'm seeing a lot of them on craigslist in the $25 range. At that price I'd buy the bless'ed thing. But it's all 50 miles north. I'm 25 miles away from SDSU.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »
Does walmarts website have the out of stock microwave? They might be able to ship it to the one close to you.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 04:17:27 AM »
I found some promising models produced by Sears.  Consumer Reports rating as Best Buy, but the catch is the cost.  $149 w/free shipping.  Good overall customer reviews and 1200 Watts/1.2 cu feet.  Maybe you can find this or a similar model used and make it worth the trip.  The used models on amazon seem a ripoff because they're all scratched dented etc. and have huge shipping charges.  Here's a couple links:
http://www.sears.com/search=kenmore%20microwave?keywordSearch=false&vName=Appliances&sortOption=PRICE_LOW_TO_HIGH&catalogId=12605&viewItems=50&storeId=10153&cName=Microwaves&filter=storeOrigin%7CSears

http://www.amazon.com/Kenmore-Stainless-Countertop-Microwave-69123/dp/B004WOZTKG/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1364209588&sr=1-3&keywords=kenmore+microwave

Sears seems the best bet as they often have appliance sales, if you can wait.  They also have free shipping or store pickup.  Maybe you can find a store display model at a reduced rate.  They also have smaller, less powerful models that are cheaper (in the same range as Walmart 60-70 bucks) w/free shipping.  Check the customer reviews at any rate.  This is also helpful w/the used listings on Craigslist so you can sort out the lemons for sale there.

Without doing research, I'd recommend Walmart since they have generally a selection of cheap appliances.  Here:  there's a large student population so people are often giving them away on craigslist. You get what you pay for, though.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:35:40 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 07:28:30 AM »
I'd urge you, my friend, to not use it, even when he does replace it. 

If you do, read the instructions.  People kill me with standing in front of the thing, and popping it open while it still running.  The instructions clearly state to stay four feet from the thing when it on.  Furthermore, when you open while it's still on a plethora of radiation comes out.  You are supposed to wait a couple minutes after it's finished... Even typing this out sounds ridiculous, I don't know why people still use them.  The thought of the end product that comes out, well, it's not food.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 10:05:04 AM »
^ doesn't freak me out, i believe. i follow your suggestions, and actually had (i'll have to get another one) a leak detector you run around the door while heating water to detect microwave links. i very rarely use mine.

+1 for WallieWorld online, here most items are free shipping.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:06:50 AM by townie2 »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:22:39 PM »
Hell froze over, roommate actually went out and bought a 1000 watt Hamilton Beach microwave.

That being said, our stove and refrigerator are white. He opted for black, just to be contrary.

I made meatball subs for dinner, he made soup in can. As in he removed the lid, and ate the soup out of the can. Cold.

He also had the sheer balls to take my pepto bismol. "Hey man, I'm having gut problems, I'm just gonna put this in the medicine chest."

There was a bless'ed REASON I keep that pepto in my room. And that reason is that I don't bless'ed SHARE PEPTO.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
Ask him to buy another bottle next time he goes to the store.  If you buy Pepto Bismol tablets, you can stash them somewhere where they won't be as visible.

Enjoy those ice skates.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »
I swear when he walks into my room his eyes take inventory :(

On the plus side, the new microwave defrosts meat like a champ, without cooking the edges! This makes meat storage so much easier!