Author Topic: Tech Recs  (Read 31813 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Tech Recs
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2014, 12:19:16 AM »
8) Intel i5, noice. 
NO, very nice. :D
you got fed up with Android ? I have only just returned to it.Funny old game inst it.Love the way you can Theme it ( as long as your careful with what you install)

will your children end up with this one Smokes  ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:33:43 AM by goldshirt*9 »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2014, 03:25:37 PM »
NO, very nice. :D
you got fed up with Android ? I have only just returned to it.Funny old game inst it.Love the way you can Theme it ( as long as your careful with what you install)

will your children end up with this one Smokes  ;D

I bought an Archos Gamepad for each of them for crimbo, and so far they haven't put them down.  They both had Android tablets and I have 2 myself which makes 6 in total in the house.  I can't remember the last time I picked one up as my S3 is faster than them and is always on hand. It makes what I have already pretty redundant so I wanted a tablet I could really use like a computer and that Slate device ticked most of the boxes.

It's due on Saturday morning and I intend to see what games it will run which I find is a good way to tax a device.  I'll report back when I know its limits.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2014, 11:13:19 PM »
It has Intel HD Graphics 3000, I had that on a desktop and it ran most games well on medium settings. 4GB of memory should suffice.

HD i5 2467M Review

HD i5 2467M is specific version of Intel HD 3000 graphics that is built into the 'Intel Core i5 2467M' processor. You can only play most of the latest games like Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Saints Row The Third, Battlefield 3, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on the lowest settings, but you might experience a small lag. Less demanding games will run from medium to high settings.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:18:43 PM by brickbatz »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2014, 12:41:11 AM »
If available run AnTuTu benchmark gives you lots of info of tablet.
You do get ( i assume) a pretty good basic edition of office. loved it and do miss it.
Sync's calenders and office to your pc.

well reviewed. Have Fun  ;D ;D

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2014, 12:48:15 AM »
Big day today smokes, hope your tablet turns up.

I am surprised that as yet, everything i have ordered from http://www.aliexpress.com/ has turned up.. :)  not that i expect anything to the worse but, opposite end of the earth, China and such. :)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2014, 05:00:15 AM »
I spoke to the seller yesterday and he said he'd shipped earlier that day and not Thursday as originally planned.  That means I'd get it on Monday at the earliest.

Probably not a bad thing as I have a lot of other things to attend to.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2014, 06:02:20 AM »
Probably not a bad thing as I have a lot of other things to attend to.
a little teeny weeny disappointed though. I would be  ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2014, 03:06:31 PM »
a little teeny weeny disappointed though. I would be  ;D

I know, I have Monday off and then it's back to the grindstone.  This weekend would have been a perfect time to set it up how I want.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2014, 03:02:02 AM »
The machine doesn't arrive until today as apparently there were issues with transport from Preston to here, so it wasn't dispatched until Monday night.

Just as well as I'm nearly "over it"...

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2014, 03:07:33 AM »
Just as well as I'm nearly "over it"...
why dont i believe you  ;D ;D

I am surprised that as yet, everything i have ordered from http://www.aliexpress.com/ has turned up.. :)  not that i expect anything to the worse but, opposite end of the earth, China and such. :)

want to look at this usb hdd, works on my phone and tablet  ;)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2014, 03:12:05 AM »

want to look at this usb hdd, works on my phone and tablet  ;)

I have an "on the go" lead and I can use my existing USB keys with it for my phone and tablets.  I can also plug in my external HDDs if I need to bounce 5 or 10GB off my SD quickly.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »
Hows the Samsung then ?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2014, 10:03:52 AM »
Well.. the Samsung shipped with Windows 8.1 which I thought I'd use if only to keep Dweez happy.  Unfortunately, trying to install all the software I wanted it to have so I could really have a mobile office, was incredibly problematic.

SQL server 2005 was just a madam and threw out compatibility issues left, right and centre.  MS accounting (which relies of SQL server) installed but shut down as soon as you tried to load a database. There were other things that I got to install and run, but the process was far more tricky than it should have been.

Right now I have installed Win 7 in an attempt to be able to clone the setup I have on the laptop I bought.  Apart from the hardware everything is identical so I'm hopeful the the downgrade will allow me to use the tablet how I intended.

Online dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »
Don't try to make me happy, you're the one that has to use it.  I just say don't dismiss Win8.1 out of hand.  If you try it and don't like it (for legitimate reasons of course), then don't use it.

A couple questions.  What is MS Accounting?  I googled it and got a bunch of unrelated hits.  Also, why use MS SQL 2005?  It's fairly old.  Could MS Accounting use the lightweight Windows DB app (previously called SQL Express...can't remember the current name)?  SQL server is a pisser to maintain anyway even before you take into account how easy it is to misconfigure it and make it a vector for exploits.

Again though, you're the one that has to use the device on a day-to-day basis.  Use what makes you most productive and happy.  Right now here at work, I have an OS X box, a Ubuntu box, and a Windows 2012 R2 box sitting in front of me. :D
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2014, 11:13:25 AM »
What is MS Accounting?

Sorry. I was referring to MS Office Accounting 2009.  It was defunct shortly afterwards and given away free and it is actually one of the better accountancy programs.  It ships with  SQL express 2005 but that wouldn't run as intended on Win 8.  I uninstalled both and then installed SQL Server 2008 and then the accounting software but got the same glitch.  There is a lot about this error on other platforms so I'm not out of the wood.  However, it runs perfectly on another setup I use so I'm hoping I can just mimic it.

This particular object has been driving me nuts over the last few months.

[Seemingly] All of the defaults that I have relied on over the last decade or so in 2003 and then 2008 have been changed, so instead of using a plain vanilla out of the box set up, I have been forced to configure nearly everything back to what used to be standard, and to add spice everything has moved from where it used to be so finding out where to set those things is an adventure.

This has been a source of much excitement, and has led to the use of several choice phrases.

And why aren't you fixing my technical woes? Just a wave of the hand for you, I'd wager.