Author Topic: Teching the Tech.  (Read 4603 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Teching the Tech.
« on: May 12, 2013, 01:32:42 AM »
So my internet went out. At first I was yelling at the Router, calling it a worthless piece of poo that no one could ever love and that someone should put a bless'ed fan in the bless'ed things because they always overheat. Midrant, I see a blink from the corner of my eye. I pivoted, pointed the pointing finger, and growled. You. That's right, my modem was blinking the "Online" light.

So, rage, no one loves you, someone should slot a bless'ed fan in modems, la de dah. Power cycle, nothing. This has happened a couple times over the last few months, but I've been managing to crash out at NORMAL HUMAN SLEEP TIMES lately, so it's only really bugged me like, twice.

TO THE 4G! I went. And guess what? Cox is horrible when it comes to mobile. They kept trying to sell me cable, which I already have. This does not make sense. Their forum is just a bunch of malcontent shits from states that DON'T COUNT, and it was just making me angrier and angrier.

The "Is it down" sites are bless'ed worthless for letting me know if internet is down IN MY AREA, or if it is something wrong particularly with my shitty internet equipment.

Please hope me.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Teching the Tech.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »
Shouting at a router rarely helps.  Shouting at its manufacturer is a another matter altogether.

I used to really get peeved when you phoned your ISP when your internet failed, and they went through the same, ever fruitless routine of getting you to turn it off and on, check whether you are connected to the master socket, check whether you have microfilters on other phones etc, check whether you have the line plugged in the right socket and so on, and on, and on.  When you'd rebooted the modem 6 times before calling them (and told them that in the first 30 seconds of the call) and everything else was exactly the same as it had been for the previous 8 months so how on earth could be any of what they were suggesting.

Then they elevate it to someone who gives a damn and they tell you there's an outage in your area, which is exactly what you'd asked 3/4 of an hour before.

Such is life.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:16:30 PM »
So, did you ever get it properly fixed? I see you're online more, so obviously it's working, but does it still just stop working for no apparent reason? Did you ever get in touch with Cox to solve your problem?

Shouting at a router rarely helps.  Shouting at its manufacturer is a another matter altogether.

I used to really get peeved when you phoned your ISP when your internet failed, and they went through the same, ever fruitless routine of getting you to turn it off and on, check whether you are connected to the master socket, check whether you have microfilters on other phones etc, check whether you have the line plugged in the right socket and so on, and on, and on.  When you'd rebooted the modem 6 times before calling them (and told them that in the first 30 seconds of the call) and everything else was exactly the same as it had been for the previous 8 months so how on earth could be any of what they were suggesting.

Then they elevate it to someone who gives a damn and they tell you there's an outage in your area, which is exactly what you'd asked 3/4 of an hour before.

Such is life.

I used to go through that, too, but AT&T has got a lot better about it. I rarely have to call, but recently my STB/DVR started acting up so I called and the guy actually listened when I told him I ran the "troubleshooter app" and told him what I had unplugged/restarted, and what ever else I had tried, and actually thanked for for going ahead and doing that all myself. The call took about 15 minutes from start to finish (including wait time), I got the box w/i 2 days, and he even sent out the newest STB model which doubled my DVR capacity. I am happy.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 04:33:47 PM »
I'm with Sky now and they're pretty good too.  When I wanted a their new N router which was being offered free to new customers, I rang and started on the offensive questioning the "new customers" policy and stating that I was out of contract so could leave and rejoin, when the guy on the other end said "Stop. What is it that you want?".  I told him I wanted the new router so he sent me one and reduced my Broadband fee by £2.50 a month and gave me Sky Sports and Movies for a month for free.

I think I might ring them again.  :)
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:35:02 PM »
It lasted for about ten minutes, and it was two in the morning.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »
Heres what I want. I want my tech friends to read this and give me the readers Digest version. 1 paragraph for each piece of equipment. I cant tell you how much I hate the prattling on with the descriptions. OK, its good software, I dont care, now tell me what it does.

http://www.e-idsolutions.com/technology-overview.htm

Thank you.