Author Topic: Is the "xbox one" the new telescreen?  (Read 19739 times)

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: Is the "xbox one" the new telescreen?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 03:18:26 AM »
I loved my no cowpoo PS2. The Wii was OK except for the lack of adult games. Zelda got my woman into gaming which was a \o/ moment. She listened to her coworkers and me talking about the Xbox 360 and bought one, we love it. Borderlands turned her into a stone cold killa. I played a little Kinect Sports (maybe 10 gamer points worth) and a little Kinect Adventures. The Kinect dance game still has the cellophane on it. Kinect games suck. You can say "Xbox play game" and it will load the game or you can press the A button if you want it to load quicker. To me it's a totally useless POS that just attracts dust but at least it isn't required to be on to play games.

I have a $100.00 WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Wi-Fi 1080p to stream from my computer or connect to YouTube (I don't need the likes of Hulu  ;D). Video Formats supported: AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1),TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1) MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, FLV (h.264). Presently I can only stream MP4 to my Xbox.

I hope Microsoft loses their ass on this console.

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »
500 GB = 500 billion bytes.

And 500 billion bytes (500,000,000,000B) = 465.6612873077392578125 GB
*sigh* the industry just refuse to acknowledge that 1024B = 1KB etc.  The only place where the standard is adhered to is in RAM.....(which I guess they need to because cpu's won't put up with being cheated like that).

Apparently if you obstruct the kinnect it "pauses" and tells you to clear the obstruction. So blocking it is not an option microsoft wants you to have.

Also, they are not mentioning the kinnect at all during their E3 presentation.

And Aisha Tyler said the internet is "Just bitching."

I'll madam with my wallet, Aisha Tyler.

Wow it's that time of the year again.  Time flies, and all that.
I'll have to go through the video reviews to do a catch-up on what's hot and why.

I'm guessing that M$ are saying nothing about Kinect because it's not sure what they are really doing with it.  They need to adapt it to their new hardware and that would be the biggest obstacle in the short term, so it is best they don't promise too much 'til they have that sorted.
I've seen the ads on the telly about Samsung's new telly that is basically what the new consoles will be minus the games, and it is using Kinect-like technology to bring that swipe-of-the-hand control that has been in every sci-fi film for the last 10 years to the real-world.  No doubt M$ will see this and want to use it in their machine.  It will be odd to have a camera peripheral tacked to the top of a telly that has a built-in camera peripheral.
Apart from that sort of stuff, Kinect is suffering the same issue EyeToy did: it brings nothing to table other than novelty games.
The good thing about exercise bikes and treadmills it that they work as great clothes horses once they are no long being used.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to take a photo of a lounge room and stick it in front of the Kinect camera to fool it into thinking it is not being blocked?  Light levels may come into play when it is discerning whether it is obstructed or not, and I suppose it would have some sort of depth perception, but machines are dumb no matter how smart they are and can always be fooled.  Whether the effort involved in fooling them is worth it is another question.

I feel sorry for Alisha Tyler, she is being paid to be a super-hot speaker by Ubisoft, and as she is primarily a voice actor (although her character in Archer look a lot like her irl), she needs to take work when it comes her way.  Ubisoft are the ones you should hate, not Alisha.  They should have got her upto speed before she walked out on stage.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »
Aisha Tyler. Serious gamer, could take you down quick. They had her run a halo boot camp a while back. Apparently she has to hop XBL names because of the Greater Internet Fuckwad theory.

Considering she's a serious gamer, I'm surprised she's down with all the changes the Xbone brings.

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 12:33:40 AM »
Right...did not know she was a respected amateur gamer.  But I don't really rate Halo.....

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »
If there were a pro gaming league, she'd be in it.

The only other people who did halo bootcamp were active duty snipers. Not sure why the army did it.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 09:46:55 AM »

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »
pretty ingenious capitalism, companies, gov't, whomever, want to track/spy on you, and YOU actually buy the device to let them do it, no cost to them at all (actually they make money)  ;D

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/06/19/193607513/microsoft-responds-to-fan-outcry-changes-xbox-one-policies

Looks like they've changed some of the problematic requirements. The daily online check-in is no longer necessary, nor is the always on connection. None of these changes seem to address the always-on camera, though, which is kinda the main point of this thread.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/microsoft-shoots-down-government-spying-claims-fails-mention-xbox-one-or-kinect-57637.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:20:58 PM by SACPOP »

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »
The new Kinect being sensitive enough to measure your heartbeat is scary.  It kind of reminds me of an episode of Stargate SG-1, where the Tollan guy who fancied Carter said that all of the Tollan citizens have a sub-dermal implant which monitors everyone's health and location, which allows the health services to find a person if they are unwell/dead.  But they were more evolved, and fictional.  To them, just the idea of their government hiding the truth was unthinkable.

Oh, wikipedia says:
However, users retain the software capability to turn off all Kinect functions while the sensor remains connected to the console
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect#Kinect_on_the_Xbox_One

That's nice.

I want the new Kinect to attach to my PC.  I hope it connects by USB.  Someone will make it work and it'd be awesome.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus
  • I was JohnisaFatman what's it to ya
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 06:02:57 AM »
I bet someone will connect a kinect to a computer and make it work. There will probably be drivers available in the coming years. Which'll be cool, always wanting to find cool ways to use my computer.  ;D
O cursed spite that ever I was born to set it right!

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »
Considering all the different scanners the new Kinect has, it'd be pretty good for authentication.  You could just sit at your desk, and it'd log you in.

Kind of reminds me of this episode of Sliders in which the people of the version of Earth the Sliders slid to used their body's thermal patterns to authenticate users, because it's apparently unique to each person.  Turned out Quinn and this native female had the same thermal print -- a she-Quinn!  I think they had sex.

Of course, this was before it got weird with those monsters and apparently he has a brother that lives in another reality and he's Amish?  What?

The Kinect would be better, of course, you can also ask it "'puter, 'puter on my desk, who's the healthiest in a vest?" and it'd reply in its robot voice "Not you, Michelin man!"

Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »
Netflix has all 5 seasons of Sliders.  BTW, that was Jerry O'Connell's brother in real life, Charlie O'Connel.
--dweez

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 07:06:02 AM »
After some very extensive searching, it seems it is not available in the UK Netflix.  They do have Stargate.

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus
  • I was JohnisaFatman what's it to ya
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 10:13:47 AM »
I've never heard of Sliders
O cursed spite that ever I was born to set it right!

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 03:46:38 PM »
Pfft, youngun'!
--dweez