Author Topic: Is the "xbox one" the new telescreen?  (Read 19745 times)

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
Re: Is the "xbox one" the new telescreen?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »
It was about a group of people that went around jumping through wormholes, into alternate versions of Earth and getting themselves into situations.  Unfortunately, every slide is random and they don't know how to get back to their own Earth :(.  And so the Sliders find themselves sliding from Earth to Earth, striving to put right what once went wrong (why not), and hoping each time that their next leap will be the leap home...

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 12:01:47 AM »
Lol, sounded like you slipped into the "Quantum Leap" intro right there at the end.
--dweez

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2013, 07:51:18 PM »
Lol, sounded like you slipped into the "Quantum Leap" intro right there at the end.

I was going to say....

I bet someone will connect a kinect to a computer and make it work. There will probably be drivers available in the coming years. Which'll be cool, always wanting to find cool ways to use my computer.  ;D

It's already happened at the corporate level.  Optus (singtel) have kinect units all around their hq above big lcd screens.  They id a person walking past and put silly thought bubbles above their head on the screen, saying things like "I need to fart" and such.  The xbox, M$ and kinect logos have been blacked-out with permanent marker ink.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/06/19/193607513/microsoft-responds-to-fan-outcry-changes-xbox-one-policies

Looks like they've changed some of the problematic requirements. The daily online check-in is no longer necessary, nor is the always on connection. None of these changes seem to address the always-on camera, though, which is kinda the main point of this thread.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/microsoft-shoots-down-government-spying-claims-fails-mention-xbox-one-or-kinect-57637.html

I remember EA trying to force gamers into having an always-on Internet connection to play a certain game (that part I can't remember).  Didn't work.  I don't know why M$ thought that we would all be "Yeah, no worries".

When footage of a child getting changed is captured by a kinect camera and released onto the 'net, then maybe they will think about disabling the always on aspect of their camera....

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
Kinect for Windows is here. I wonder if the new Xbox One games will be available for the PC (doubt it) and if they are will the Kinect be forced? It kind of makes $ense that it would. The specs for our gaming computers are greater than that of the new console so that wouldn't be an issue.

COMMUNICATE WITH COMPUTERS NATURALLY

Kinect for Windows gives computers eyes, ears, and the capacity to use them. With Kinect for Windows, thousands of businesses and developers are creating applications that put people first—allowing their customers to interact naturally with computers by simply gesturing and speaking.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »
Like the end of "Source Code" when Sam says "Oh boy!".
I need to watch this now, just to see if this (or something similar) happens!  Wikipedia says Bakula is in Source Code, fo' sho'.

Kinect for Windows is here. I wonder if the new Xbox One games will be available for the PC (doubt it) and if they are will the Kinect be forced? It kind of makes $ense that it would. The specs for our gaming computers are greater than that of the new console so that wouldn't be an issue.

COMMUNICATE WITH COMPUTERS NATURALLY
One problem I have with higher spec consoles is the higher spec PCs you'll need for the PC port.  I was planning on building a new PC for cheaps, that could still play most of the latest games, but now I'm a little worried about buying hardware that'll not be powerful enough for Half-Life 3 or whatever other fancy game that comes out.

I suppose I should be used to playing the older games :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:36:18 PM by chekovsulu »

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 09:51:35 PM »
chekovsulu, build what you can afford and upgrade one piece at a time. Don't buy a no-name cheap CPU and make sure it will run an upgraded graphics card (550W - 650W). The onboard graphics with an i5 CPU are pretty decent. It will run several present day games.

Here in the US Newegg is selling the Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 for $219.99 USD.

* The K after i5 - 3570 means it can be overclocked.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:54:00 PM by brickbatz »

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
According to the spreadsheet I made in January, I was going to get the AMD FX6-6300, mainly because the AMD CPUs and sockets are apparently compatible across generations (if that's the right word for it).  So I could upgrade the CPU before the motherboard, or the motherboard before the CPU, depending on my budget.  And 6 cores!

I've got the the i5-3570K as my Intel option, because apparently I decided to make a spreadsheet comparing wattage as well as cost :D.  I forgot how serious I became about power usage during winter.

Interesting, the Intel CPU's gone up by £10, whereas the AMD one has gone down by £10.  It's probably demand.  I'm going to finish this spreadsheet next week, it's got me all excited again. :D

I don't seem to have a sheet for heatsinks yet...

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus
  • I was JohnisaFatman what's it to ya
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »
It was about a group of people that went around jumping through wormholes, into alternate versions of Earth and getting themselves into situations.  Unfortunately, every slide is random and they don't know how to get back to their own Earth :(.  And so the Sliders find themselves sliding from Earth to Earth, striving to put right what once went wrong (why not), and hoping each time that their next leap will be the leap home...

That actually sounds really interesting! I'll probably try watching some of that.

Also I'm planning on building a gaming rig sometime soon. Once I get a real job. Not just volunteering  :P!

O cursed spite that ever I was born to set it right!

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »
Oo, those are useful!

I came across this the other day:

An ideal example of this is the popular video game Shadow of the Colossus, which generally requires an efficient CPU with a speed of at least 3.5 GHz (Intel), or 4 GHz (AMD FX), and a decent graphics card. The main reason the AMD FX processors need to be of a higher clock speed than their Intel counterparts is that in the Bulldozer architecture, the number of floating-point units is half the number of total CPU cores. This means each unit is shared between two cores. If one core is currently using the FPU, the other core sharing it must wait to do the same. It is only free to perform integer operations. PCSX2 makes heavy use of floating-point.

Fortunately, I still haven't saved enough to commit!

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
I'm playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 right, now on high settings, with an Intel i3 and a decent video card. I still want the i5.

Operating System
   MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
   Intel Core i3 2120  @ 3.30GHz   43 °C
   Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
   8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
   ASRock H61M-HVS (CPUSocket)   39 °C
Graphics
   AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (2GB Memory)