Author Topic: Soup Review.  (Read 12157 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Soup Review.
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:35:50 PM »
I don't want to make a new thread every time I buy a soup, so in the future I will be posting soup reviews in this thread.

I very much like soup, but I am usually disappointed by the selections offered. I especially dislike rice-y water soups, where the ingredient makeup tends to be 80% 10% rice, and some nasty spice mess you toss out instead of eating at the end of the bowl.

Tonight I decided to try one of the new Campbell's soup because they had a wall of soup as an end cap while I was food shopping. Considering the fact that almost NOTHING is properly stocked at my walmart, this was a pleasant surprise. Also, the end cap featured  new flavors, some not even featured on their website.

I selected the hearty cheeseburger soup. The picture on the can looked like potato potato potato, and did not seem to feature the burger portion. I was concerned that I would be shorted on burger, but this was not to be. The soup is like 50% hamburger. I dig it!

Another thing I liked about the mini burger patties is that they actually taste like a decent burger, instead of tasting like mechanically separated mystery meat. Sometimes I will just throw away the chicken chunks in chicken noodle because they look like something that came out of a lousy science experiment.

The cheese broth was mild, but enjoyable. So many products out now overload you on spices or flavor. I also liked that they did not go with Nickelodeon orange for the broth.

So it is indeed a hearty cheeseburger soup. You get half a Gold star on this one Campbell's!

1/2 star was deducted for featuring MSG twice. I don't even get how that works.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Soup Review.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 12:23:54 AM »
only drink cup a soup by Ainsley Harriott, very nice though

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »
Tried the Spicy Chicken Quesadilla soup today.

It was really crappy. Don't buy it.

Unless you don't like someone. I suppose if you bought it by accident you could toss it to a roommate.

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 12:33:16 AM »
I really like progresso chicken dumpling soup. I don't typically like canned soups, but I'm too lazy to make dumplings so I had to find one I liked. ;)
Also there is a Jewish restaurant near me that makes amazing matzah ball soup.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
the Campbell's steak and potato soup is pretty good too.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 01:13:58 AM »
Waking the dead because I tried a new one.

Jammin' Jambalaya is spicy. That's about all it's got going for it. I avoid a lot of the campbell's soups with rice in them because they tend to be 3/4 water in the can, with 1/4 assorted vegetables. Jammin' Jambalaya does not break the mold. The skimpiest portion of sausage I've ever seen in a jambalaya. I guess I give it points for flavor, but I had to add garlic bread to make it filling.

So pass on flavor, fail on meal worthiness. And while townie's post was in 2013, I'll go into how the steak and potato soup has fallen in another post.

I have a sausage gumbo lined up as well, but I'm willing to bet it will be very similar to the jambalaya.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 10:40:42 AM »
There is always a host of fresh soups in the supermarket here (I'm assuming there is everywhere) and usually one brand or another has a half price deal. Between the 3 or 4 brands there must be 25 different flavours so we tend to try something new when we can.

I can't think of one that we've had that wasn't lovely, with New Covent Garden ones leading the way:

http://www.newcoventgardensoup.com

Do you ever buy them freshly made, 8ully?
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 01:46:00 AM »
I used to be the guy who cut open the plastic bags to dump the soup into those receptacles, the boss never told me where it actually came from. It came in on the truck load and then would sit in the walk in until it was time to change it out.

This kind of put me off actually eating the stuff, which is weird because I mainlined the fried garbage from the hot case, and that stuff was nasty too.

Tonight I chowed down on the Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. The ratio on broth to chunky was better, but it's still a fairly wattery soup.

A different flavor, but still spicy, this would definitely be the choice if you were wondering between it and the jambalaya.

Also, it's extremely filling. I ate half the bowl and put the rest away for later. It's a very nice change from the disappointment that was jammin jambalaya.

So it's got the flavor, it's got the meal, and it still clocks in at $1.39.

This one gets a thumbs up.

And once again, I will procrastinate on why the potato soups have gone to crap.

I'll give you a short version, it's not from lack of potatoes, but the cream sauce. More on that another time.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 12:38:36 AM »
Campbell's Homestyle
Creole Style Chicken w/red beans & rice.  4/5 stars
Vegetable Chili 1/5 stars (spicy ketchup w/veg. yuck)
Campbell's Chunky
Grilled Chicken & Sausage Gumbo 4/5 stars

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 04:50:16 AM »
In my country is quite rare to find instant soups in cans or cartons. Mostly you find dry/dehydrated soups. Some of them aren't bad.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 05:43:43 AM »
I still like plain old Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup and a peanut butter sandwich.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 05:53:39 AM »
I prefer Progresso.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 06:21:17 PM »
Progresso is even worse than Campbells with the water thing. I can't remember a Progresso soup I actually enjoyed, but I'm open to suggestions.

I haven't been able to put up with Campbells C&N for years, it's just nasty.

I'm going to be doing a shop for shelf stable food on Saturday (Mom bugged out to bless'ed idaho for a month, telling me the day OF the trip.)

I thought poo like this was in the past since Social Security put me in charge of her bank account, but apparently her mom is funding this crazy train.

She left the car with "a friend". Which is a real "golly you" to me.

eh.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »
I made turkey chilli last week it wasn't expensive and it was super easy.

I used Veggie Stock
Ground Turkey
Black Beans
Canned Steamed tomatos and some fresh tomatoes left over from this summer
I used a bit of corn starch to thicken it a bit.

turned out pretty good.

the only soup I like is Clam Chowder. I find that the meat in canned soup is usually dry and rubbery.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 08:38:48 PM »
Yeah, she hid all the dishes to "help" me, since the roommate doesn't do dishes. I've got a bowl, a plate, a pot, a strainer (Not the good one), a foreman grill, a glass, and a microwave.

That isn't really about soup though.

I had Beef Maruchan ramen for dinner. bless'ed styrofoam, but it's in budget.