Author Topic: Soup Review.  (Read 11538 times)

Offline mishca09

• Q
Re: Soup Review.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 10:17:09 PM »
I used to love beef maruchan but the sodium is a bit much. do you have h mart near you ? they usually have some inexpensive noodle bowls and their prepared food isn't bad.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 05:59:08 PM »
Black beans and rice with cheese is good.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »
Eh, I had the Progresso southwestern chicken tonight and I wasn't particularly impressed.

http://www.progresso.com/products/soup/traditional-southwestern-style-chicken

I did enjoy their hearty chicken noodle, because it didn't skimp on the star ingredient, the chicken.

http://www.progresso.com/products/soup/rich-hearty-chicken-noodle

I'm thinking my dislike of progresso soups was based more on soups like the southwestern.

The southwestern chicken soup did skimp on the chicken, so it gets a non-recommend from me.

Mom liked it though.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 08:33:57 PM »
Thanks you 8ully, I let your disparaging remark regarding Progresso slide before. ;-).  I'm a fan of the Chicken Noodle you spoke of as well as the Vegetable Beef and Minestrone.  Some of the others are ok but nothing spectacular.
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 04:38:09 AM »
Progresso Chicken Corn Chowder is a cream based soup that's pretty good, but probably pretty fattening.

I really like Campbell's Homestyle Creole Style Chicken w/Red Beans and Rice. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
Ultra necromancy!

Tried three this week,

Chilli mac - sucked. Broth was horrible

Hearty pizza - really sucked, stringy vegetables, some interesting meat bits, think they were smoked, but the broth was worse than the chilli mac.

Pub style chicken pot pie with dumplings - awesome, ate it super fast, will buy again.

I've been off soup for a while, the local shop charges $3.00 a can, but food 4 less had them for $1.27, which is a lot better.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 04:58:25 PM »
Have you tired Campbells new Yes ! Soup ?

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 09:55:41 PM »
Sooooooooooooo many strange combos. Im alittle scared. 2 free cans in the pantry. Im working up to them.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 09:32:17 PM »
Dafuq? You guys get soup roulette?! That's freakin awesome! I'd get clam chowder though (which I hate)

Pretty cool idea though, get rid of the soup no one likes by taking the labels off.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 10:25:13 AM »

Not particularly impressed.  I like the effort to minimize chemical additives and to include healthy ingredients.  But they manage to create several varieties that have no flavor.  CVS has them on sale this week.  When you go to the store, they have a RedBox machine that's printing a coupon for a discount.  There's also printable coupons for $1 off per can here:  https://www.campbells.com/well-yes/coupon/  (You have to share.  I keep fake Twitter and FB accounts for stuff like this.)  Print 2 of these, take them in to the store, use the redbox coupon with those and you'll get 2 cans for free.  Try Chicken Noodle, it's better than the one posted below.

This is what I thought of the Campbell's Well Yes Roasted Chicken with Wild Rice Soup.
Healthy ingredients and low fat. 110 calories for the can.
Bland as bland can be. I added about a half teaspoon of salt to make it more palatable. There was an abundance of wild rice that had a nice chewy texture and the corn was a welcome addition. There was chicken, too, decent pieces of breast meat. Not too many, but probably comparable to the same amount in a can of Progresso.
They just forgot to give it any flavor.

I've had several other flavors, none of which I'd go buy again.  I got them for about 25 cents a can as Walgreens had them on clearance (which is amazing as they're a relatively new product) and I used some coupons.

8ully, if you can check Grocery Outlet, they sometimes have markdowns on soup.  I picked up several cases of Campbell's Homestyle for 50 cents a can.  It was my favorite flavor and was being discontinued, so I stocked up.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:33:21 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 09:00:49 AM »
Sooooooooooooo many strange combos. Im alittle scared. 2 free cans in the pantry. Im working up to them.

Just tried the lentil one... it was good. A little on the bland sidr. I'm saving the tomato bisque for a grilled cheese day.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 09:03:53 AM »
6pairs I have to agree they are very bland. I was thinking they would work well pairing with other dishes that havr flavor...

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 11:54:17 AM »
The lentil wasn't too bad.  I have a can of the tomato, but have to steel myself to try it.  I generally don't like canned tomato soup so this will be an experiment, but I'm already prejudiced against it.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2017, 01:26:08 AM »
I prefer Progresso.

Isn't he a Marvel supervillain?

I know I've mentioned New Covent Garden in this thread before, but I forgot to mention that I mostly reduce them down and use them as a pasta sauce (one of my own little tricks for making quick and tasty pasta).
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
Finally tried the corn chowder from yes Campbell.... before heating, I added salt pepper and hot sauce.. it's surprisingly good