Author Topic: Soup Review.  (Read 11561 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Soup Review.
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2017, 10:27:42 PM »
Campbell's Corn Chowder is ok, but I prefer Progresso's (we're talking chicken corn chowder, right?).  I eat a lot of canned soup and it's probably not good for me, but it's cheap.  Progresso makes a decent lentil soup, just the regular vegetable classics variety. The garden vegetable and the minestrone aren't bad, either.  My husband likes the split pea on occasion. 

Progresso came out with some organic soups and I tried the chicken with rice.  Boring and bland.  "Organic" translates into food you could eat if you were in the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital.

I usually buy canned soup on sale and use coupons, so I rarely pay more than a buck a can for it, and less if I can manage it.  I also make my own soup and freeze it but we don't have a big freezer, so there's limited space.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »
This corn chowder didn't have meat in it. I added meat.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »
One of the things I bought my missus for Christmas was one of those blender and soup maker in one. The recipe book looks fab so I'm hopeful that bought soups will be a thing of the past.

Watch this space.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2018, 11:52:05 AM »
I keep making rice from soup broth, add veg.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2020, 02:30:21 AM »
Waking the dead again.

Wanted to add two.

The "Heart Healthy" chicken noodle soup from Chunky was... bland. Water and egg noodles, not a lot of chicken. I ended up throwing half the bowl away because it was just egg noodles in water.

Next one, Chunky again, Beer And Cheese. It was like a nasty soy type broth? Tasted like someone left a bud light to go flat and then dumped it into the pot.

Won't make the mistake of buying that again.

I need a good staple chunky soup again, something I can buy by the case and just shove in the cupboard.

I know now to avoid any of the "Green Label" chunky's.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2020, 03:15:35 PM »
I mentioned a couple elsewhere.  I see "heart healthy" and run the other way.  It just means they didn't put any salt in it so you have to dump a bunch in there to make it taste like something.  Their chicken noodle is basically flavorless and watery.  Generally, if there's a canned soup that claims to be organic or good for you, it's best to save your money.  You can make a good deal of better chicken soup out of the remains of a rotisserie chicken.

We buy Progresso more often, I guess.  Lentil is ok.  Their gumbo is good.  My husband likes their Italian Wedding soup, Tuscan White Bean, and the split pea with ham.  Their turkey noodle is ok.

The worst is the Well Yes soups.  They suck hard.  They're supposed to be good for you.  The cans probably taste better than the contents.

And, Bea, that's a great idea, using broth to make rice.  It gives it more character and flavor.