Author Topic: TV WTF  (Read 16242 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
TV WTF
« on: June 12, 2013, 05:06:35 AM »
Ever watch a tv series and wonder "what were they thinking?" because it's just so bad, it's hard to wrap your brain around how somebody could have thought a) this is entertaining b) this will make money c) this won't suck.  Then you think, "MAKE IT STOP!" because it's so awful.

This thread is dedicated to those real trainwrecks of tv shows.  Maybe they got yanked after one airing, or they managed to squeak through a whole season.

Here's one that I always thought was simply terrible:  The New Zoo Review.  A terrible tv show for children with adults wearing godawful animal costumes and speaking in high falsettos.  The two normal people are real tools to boot.  I'm appending a clip of the intro.

Got any other exhibits you care to share?

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
Re: TV WTF
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »
Barney & Friends was insufferable!!
My daughter liked it though. Intolerable show, imo.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:53:40 PM by xtopave »

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »
Especially with the children's shows!~ ::)

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »
TBQH, I wouldn't be able to tell the good kid's shows from the bad ones. I always thought kid's shows were supposed to be bad and not make much sense, basically appealing to their main demo - children and potheads.

This is a pretty well known TV WTF that happened in the states:

Not a valid youtube URL

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:25:20 PM »
NOt entirely true.  There are good kid shows...

Then there are ones you are not so sure how you feel about..
I feel a little better about Cayou

thennnn there is the whole movie problem,
Some are good, good ideas like Horton Hears a Who.
Then there are ones you think will be good, but turns into something you are unsure of.  Like for instance Lilo and Stitch.  Put it in, five minutes in Lilo punches another little kid in the face.  Gotta watch that when it's the first time a kid's ever seen anything like that.  I was watching it first, to see, I usually do that.  They just walk away when I put in new movies, mostly.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:24:33 AM by Beatrix »

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 04:52:31 AM »
Hey Bea, funny you should mention The Wiggles.  They are pretty big here, but most adults are wft on them.  They used to be in a pub-rock band called The Cockroaches but worked out there is heaps more money and far less competition doing children's entertainment.

The thing about The Wiggles is that they are insufferable to adults, but the kids love them.  Every parent I know can't stand them, with one friend taking all her son's wiggles dvd's to the goodwill store and and buying him some Thomas The Tank Engine videos to replace them.  When her son asked about them, she told him "Who are The Wiggles?  You must have dreamt that"  A bit mean, but she said she would have gone nuts otherwise (WAKE UP, JEFF!)

But then the same womabn showed me "Yo Gabba Gabba"

(Edited to fix Utube link)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:12:32 PM by xtopave »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 01:10:16 AM »
I'm watching a terrifyingly bad movie on one of those late sat night comedy bad movie shows.  This one:  Not a valid youtube URL
Makes you want to re-examine what it means to be human.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 04:08:18 AM »
Wrong tags. It's not a YouTube link. I think you meant to post a Wikipedia link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mountain_of_the_Cannibal_God

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:49:47 AM »
Thank you.  I had to drink a couple glasses of wine in order to get through the ordeal of watching the film so I think it impaired my ability to select the correct tags.

Offline Maudibe

• Homo Erectus
  • I'm not crazy. I'm chosen.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
Anyone ever see this. It was god awful didn't even make it to midseason was cancelled after 6 shows. And it was competing directly with DS9 so it never had a chance.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 01:38:36 PM »
That does look pretty bad.  I like to take a nap on Saturday afternoons and before tv was consumed with infomercials they used to show real grade b sci fi series that were inexplicably bad but great to sleep to.  They had one with these guys who seemed like gay extraterrestials who were bald, some were good some bad, and they regularly interacted with the usual heroic space crew cast, but I can't remember what that was called. 

Then there's Forever Knight, 13th century vampire, 20th century cop.  Canadian series, very camp, but somehow compelling, too.  It used to be on late Sunday nights.  Now, on youtube, apparently.  I hesitated to put it here as it's not quite bad enough. 

Offline Maudibe

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 01:28:56 PM »
^ being Canadian I remember that one well. I'm surprised it  made it to the States. It was during a time when for whatever reason we were making sci-fi/fantasy/action shows that were really really bad. But you are right Six that one was strangely compelling.

Here are a couple more from right around the same time that illustrates my point.

Robocop

The Crow: Stairway to Heaven

sensing a theme here lol
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:33:42 PM by Maudibe »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »
Mutant X was pretty bad, but I'm not sure if this is the same one.  I think there was yet another in addition to this one. 

Maybe it was Stargate SG-1.  All I remember was these sort of gay bald aliens, some were good, some were evil but they were always hanging around giving advice and offering help or trying to screw things up.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q

Offline Maudibe

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 10:21:51 PM »
Maybe it was Stargate SG-1.  All I remember was these sort of gay bald aliens, some were good, some were evil but they were always hanging around giving advice and offering help or trying to screw things up.

I think you mean this one Earth Final Conflict

Edited to fix the quotes and the Youtube link.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:09:17 AM by xtopave »